TommyB's 68 Firebird Build Thread

TommyB

Sep 24, 2017
Finally getting a build thread started.

Back in november I picked up this 68 firebird from my sister in law. It was originally her/my wife's grandfathers. It got it in I believe 76 (I have the paperwork around somewhere). Originally a 350 motor he swapped in a pontiac 400.

A few years back another family member was gonna get it rebuilt and tore it down to the short block. Then it sat for years like that. So, when I got it, it needed to be torn down and rebuilt. I pulled the motor and tore it down. Pulled the TH400 and tore that down as well.

As of now, the TH400 is rebuilt ready to go back in. (Other than the dipstick I just ordered due to breaking the old one).

I changed directions on the build as well. Since Pontiac's are not as popular as SBC's, they are expensive to rebuild right. Decided if I'm gonna drop some money, I want to make real power. Therefore, I just picked up a 5.3 on friday. The plan is a 5.3 turbo LS swap. I'm shooting for 650-700hp with this build. Now that it is finally nice out, I have some motivation to get this thing rolling. Cannot wait to drive it!

Couple shots of the car when I got it in the garage:
WDytMn.jpg

DJpsHV.jpg

Motor as I got it out of the car:
grAnnT.jpg

Condition the motor was in:
K1AdCM.jpg

Couple shots tearing down the TH400
iAxVzQ.jpg

x2XBzh.jpg

And finally the donor 5.3:
A8JUsq.jpg

TommyB

Sep 24, 2017
I'm planning on driving it, but not totally complete this year.

While the motor is out, I'm gonna do lifters, valve springs, and cam. Drop the motor and th400 in and get it moving for now. I have some other things to fix as far as suspension and body work plus needs new tires too, so it probably won't get the turbo and all the fun stuff until winter, but well see.

TommyB

Sep 24, 2017
I put an ls6 intake, fuel rails, and injectors on. Going to run a returnless system and just use a Corvette fuel filter/regulator.

Speed Engineering headers, Corvette water pump with truck spacers, lssimple alternator/power steering bracket. Lokar pedal and throttle cable.

I still need to run the fuel system, make a throttle cable bracket, connect the harness, battery, radiator, and tune.

Hp Tuners and radiator will be here Saturday.

TommyB

Sep 24, 2017
Just be careful, theres a few rust spots that'll hurt. Lol

I also decided to hold off Turbo set up. I had some house issues come up recently that sent me back about $3600. I didn't wanna spend the extra cash right now but I really want this thing driving this year. So I just threw some headers on it and we're gonna run it NA for now

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I put an ls6 intake, fuel rails, and injectors on. Going to run a returnless system and just use a Corvette fuel filter/regulator.

Speed Engineering headers, Corvette water pump with truck spacers, lssimple alternator/power steering bracket. Lokar pedal and throttle cable.

I still need to run the fuel system, make a throttle cable bracket, connect the harness, battery, radiator, and tune.

Hp Tuners and radiator will be here Saturday.

Awesome, still looking forward to the finished product.

Ever think of going this route?
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/terminator_x/

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I would have considered it, had it come out a year earlier. Lol

I'm so close to having this thing going, that I dont want to switch over now. I'll just run the stock PCM and HP Tuners.

Gotcha, I'm going to go that route next winter when I do my swap.
Either the Holley or Fitech system, leaning more towards the Holley

Thread Info