• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

To Replace the Trans or not

xringshooter7

Reaction score
So, this is the deal. I have a GTP with 88k and plan on doing some heavy modding in the future. Right now the Trans is fine, but im worried when i decide to cam it that the power will be the sure fire way to kill it. So here is the dilemma, should I go head and by a built trans, and sell the current one as a working trans, or wait til it blows and rebuild it?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one is going to pay much for a stock 88k mi trans. I'd say rock it until it pops, then rebuild.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Drive it till it dies. Who knows might surprise you. My GTP put 320 FWHP ran mid twelves all day long on slicks. And factory trans is still in the car and trolling around northern burbs without issue ;-)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
X2 for the kill/rebuild option

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
Ran lots of low 12 second passes with slicks on my stock tranny...still going strong (knock on wood) at 180K miles

Don't fix what ain't broke

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
Drive it till it dies. Who knows might surprise you. My GTP put 320 FWHP ran mid twelves all day long on slicks. And factory trans is still in the car and trolling around northern burbs without issue ;-)
I envy you :squint:

Yeah like Ron said. If its not broken, don't fix it

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
13k on built trans probably broken :tear:

TommyGloves

Reaction score
putting a shift kit in will help if you start modding. Run it 'til it dies then rebuild it.

EDIT: When it dies...take it to TripleEdgePerformance.com :nutz:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom