• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

To coil over or not to coil over v.A-body front suspension

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
The newer trend seems to be a higher spring rate than what used to be recommended in the rear and a slightly softer one in the front. While a completely different animal...I believe my rate in the rear is now 275 and 450 front (IIRC). This pic is when it was too low to not be white knuckled while city driving (Ridetech level 2 550/160 4 link rear):

It's a little bit higher now and still in a rebuild with a completely different suspension again.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
The newer trend seems to be a higher spring rate than what used to be recommended in the rear and a slightly softer one in the front. While a completely different animal...I believe my rate in the rear is now 275 and 450 front (IIRC). This pic is when it was too low to not be white knuckled while city driving (Ridetech level 2 550/160 4 link rear):

It's a little bit higher now and still in a rebuild with a completely different suspension again.

Looks hot as hell!

THOSE WHEELS ARE MONEYYYYYYYYYY

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I went with fairly large sway bars. I’m not afraid of a rough ride if it’s planted in turns. Really just looking for a fun canyon carver since there are so many good roads here.

Is there a link to the sway bars so I can see what rate they are?

If you drop too much than the tie rods get at an angle that is not parallel with the other parts you will get bumpsteer.

Honestly I would get it put together with what you have drive it and see what it feels like and if need be go to a higher or lower spring rate.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

If you drop too much than the tie rods get at an angle that is not parallel with the other parts you will get bumpsteer.

Honestly I would get it put together with what you have drive it and see what it feels like and if need be go to a higher or lower spring rate.

That's the big reason you see people doing things like tall ball joints on these cars; They weren't parallel with the other parts so they'd end up bump steering. It's one of the reasons the b-body spindle swap sucks tbh, you make the angles worse in reality.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Pretty sure these are the ones my wife bought me. My car never came with a rear and the front disappeared somewhere so she surprised me with some.

Stock front I think is 1 1/8”
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-720202/overview/

Rear
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-720208

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
I WAS BUSY! Now coil overs are a compromise on most front end swap in. Mostly they are too short to work real well unless you run them super stiff. I personally would never use them on a stock front suspension. If you are dead set on it keep the ride height as high as you can and use their arms to fit them. If you use a front spring like a Hodgkiss or Detroit speed and any decent front shock you will be way better off. Don't be scared of higher spring rates,I think I run 700+ spring rates up front and it rides decent. Just make sure you have good control arm bushings, not rubber.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I WAS BUSY! Now coil overs are a compromise on most front end swap in. Mostly they are too short to work real well unless you run them super stiff. I personally would never use them on a stock front suspension. If you are dead set on it keep the ride height as high as you can and use their arms to fit them. If you use a front spring like a Hodgkiss or Detroit speed and any decent front shock you will be way better off. Don't be scared of higher spring rates,I think I run 700+ spring rates up front and it rides decent. Just make sure you have good control arm bushings, not rubber.
I think I've decided to keep my stock style setup and run the hotchkis springs I have and the QA1 single adjustable shocks. Have you ever installed any? Trying to decide on the best course of action to open up the access hole while not compromising where the shocks mount on the stock A arm.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The diameter of the shock is what doesn’t fit, not so much the knob.
So, your reason for wanting to cut is you cannot get the shock through the hole to install?

Usually you pop the spindle off, unbolt the shock/cut the bolts and then use a jack to raise everything in place. The shock does not go up through the arm. Bolt up the top and you are done.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
So, your reason for wanting to cut is you cannot get the shock through the hole to install?

Usually you pop the spindle off, unbolt the shock/cut the bolts and then use a jack to raise everything in place. The shock does not go up through the arm. Bolt up the top and you are done.
I’ve always changed shocks thru that hole on any gm. I’ve never once had to pop a ball joint and remove a spring to install a shock.........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info