• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Tires

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just had a thread on this recently...

And yes, a lot of Continental goodness is recommended.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Something like that I'd go Summer tire if you never intend to drive it when its below 35°.

For long lived summer fun, but no real track, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I know its expensive, but man it ticks all the fun boxes and still delivers a long life.

After that you got your Cup2s, Trofeo Rs, R888R, and various drag radials.

Reactions: Turk and BS ISF

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Something like that I'd go Summer tire if you never intend to drive it when its below 35°.

For long lived summer fun, but no real track, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I know its expensive, but man it ticks all the fun boxes and still delivers a long life.

After that you got your Cup2s, Trofeo Rs, R888R, and various drag radials.
Save some money and consider the extreme contact sports. Rated about the same and perform better in the rain.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Straight-line or handling? I have the previous-gen summer Conti tires and they're not great for straight-line from a dig, though I'm lowered on Konis with 3600 stall and 3.73s. I imagine the tire shock from a manual and 4.10s would overwhelm them. If you're on 16s, corners might not be priority, so a drag radial could be a good choice, though at the detriment of handling.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
You'll want to go with nt05r extreme drag. The life isn't too bad especially with the miles you'll be putting on and it should be more than enough grip for the track with a decent burnout. My bolt on/stall car does 1.70 60s with these. Then you can match the fronts with nt05s. These are probably the best grip you can get for the price.
Screenshot_20220127-095511_Photos.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I really like Continental Extreme Contact Sports. They are quiet, grip pretty well in the dry, work great in the rain, and are pretty solid on the road course also. Wear is good too. I was able to get ~12,000 miles out of my last set with several autocross sessions, a trip to the road course, and a few hundred miles of carving mountain roads.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
For ultimate dry weather performance, you can't beat the traction a road race tire or drag radial, but do have some draw backs. Road noise and softer side wall can be a downside for some, and if you like to do a lot of highway then i would lean towards a general summer tire. I like Michelin and have had good luck with Toyo's as well, otherwise i roll around on MT's drag radials

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I've run a bunch of different drag radials over the years, here is a quick review:

Nitto 555R: Better than hard 220 rated tires, good for 7-10K miles, not the best hooking drag radial, probably the worst but I still went 1.8s on them. Great in rain.
Nitto NT05R: Went 1.59 on them, could last maybe 5K miles. Good in rain until worn.
M/T Pro: One of the best hooking, good for maybe a summer on the street.
M/T Pro bracket radial: One of the best hooking, might be okay for 2 summers.
M/T S/S: A- for traction, not sure on the wear yet.
M&H: Never had luck getting them to work as well as folks said they did, I was trying a 275. Picked a nail in the tread, so not sure on wear.

Thread Info