Tire nOOb - tire recommendations for towing with 1/2 ton Silverado

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
The rear tires on my DD are just about shot - 2007 Silverado 6.0 Vortec Max. They came with basic "P" Load range Bridgestone tires in 265/65/18 and I think they are rated at about 2400lbs each.

I will be buying an enclosed trailer soon and want to do everything I can to make it safe towing, so I'm thinking about a D or E range tire so I can air up when towing, and they will be more stable. Truck rides great so I dont care if I lose some ride quality with a D or E tire, I just want the added capacity of a good tire. Should I look for just a heavy rated LT, D, or E tire ?

Stock size is 265/65/18 - not many choices there, but I think a 275/65/18 will fit on the stock rim just fine, and much more choices with the 275

Truck also has TPMS -I think GM can adjust those for the higher PSI ratings in the D/E tires. Any recommendatons ?

Thanks,
Jason

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I am not sure if you will need to go up with a 1/2 ton. Your tires are probably capable of more than enough capactiy right now. What is your max towing weight? Payload weight? on that truck...

I will check but I believe it can tow up to 9000 - 9500lbs or so. I shouldnt ever be that heavy even with a car and 20-24' trailer, but I'd like to have some safety margin. My hitch is a 1050 tongue weight class 3 hitch...I believe

I probably dont need an E tire, but I dont want to get another pair of P tires towing an enclosed and my increasingly expensive racecar.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
2400x4=9600 lbs. Truck weighs say 6k so that leaves you 3600. Take off 1k for tongue weight so 2600. Minus cargo, people etc.... You get the picture. I have Es on my 3/4 ton. Maybe you should look into some Ds. I guess it all comes down to price as well. But you are thinking right by looking to upgrade and build in some margain of safety and reliability. Specific tires are going to matter though because they are not all created equal some Ds will have more capacity than Es, although rare. I think that is because load range D vs E refers to play rating and then the weights are determined by the manufactureres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Go with a D for half ton. No need for an E range tire on there. All an E will do is ride like a brick shit house and have less size options.

D range max load per tire is generally 2900-3200 lbs per tire at max psi. Thats plenty to haul your 2500lb race car.

this...

no need for an E range tire... the stock rating would be fine and probably ride best... but there is no harm going up to a D. Also going to the 275 will be fine as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info