Tips for the Bird.

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
Hopefully i posted this in the right spot, if not, please move it to the right one. :dunno:

I just bought a bone stock v6 3800 series II Pontiac Firebird. What I am thinking is putting in a supercharger? Yay or nay? I not really mechanically inclined in newer-ish cars so I'm looking for as much help as i can get. If it is possible to putting it in what else should i be looking into upgraded/modding. This will be a DD so I will need it to stay above 17 mpg and drive in winter, sorta...:noes:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i was being serious. you can pick up an LS1 fairly cheap. if you decide to mod, the LSx aftermarket is huge.
modding an NA 3800 is expensive and you will still be slow. it's going to suck in the winter regardless. i highly suggest picking up some snow tires.

....but there are countless other pieces that are different and you will need/want besided the motor itself..... full exhaust, transmission, driveshaft, rear diff (v6 ones were even weaker than the already too weak v8's), new coil springs, gauge cluster, motor mounts.... etc..... and stil even then you have the shitty v6 interior..... seriously, sell it and get one thats a V8 already.... the price savings will be huge with an already- v8 model

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
There is no turbo kit out there(yet) but it can be done. Carmen(tease) has a TT V-6 camero she had built. You can start with a set of v-6 headers and turn them around. Then you would have to fab a crossover. Fitment is tight, so routing of IC piping(if intercooling) will require notching and cutting.
Check out 3800pro.com there is a couple guys over there running turbo kits, click on the the fastest RWD times at the top of the page.
Also Nitrous is a easy way to make power and will not effect gas mileage(while off spray) There is a couple high 12sec N/A 3800 birds on juice.

Take what other people have said into consideration tho, the V-6 drivetrain parts(outside the motor) is not ment for abuse or lots of power. If you can manage to grab a lot of traction you will find the weak points right away.
Good luck with the project.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If you dont have money to do more than a few mods, you bought the wrong car to be "fast".

Id put a higher stall torque converter, a different rear end gear, and spray it with 100 shot. It would be decently quick with that stuff and probably surprise a lot of people if it looked and sounded like a v6 car still.

POS Neon

May 10, 2009
NorthLake
If you dont have money to do more than a few mods, you bought the wrong car to be "fast".

Id put a higher stall torque converter, a different rear end gear, and spray it with 100 shot. It would be decently quick with that stuff and probably surprise a lot of people if it looked and sounded like a v6 car still.

i dont want it to be a "fast" "racecar". i just want it to have a little GnG.

BluBeaSSt

TCG Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Kansas City Mo
....but there are countless other pieces that are different and you will need/want besided the motor itself..... full exhaust, transmission, driveshaft, rear diff (v6 ones were even weaker than the already too weak v8's), new coil springs, gauge cluster, motor mounts.... etc..... and stil even then you have the shitty v6 interior..... seriously, sell it and get one thats a V8 already.... the price savings will be huge with an already- v8 model

:werd:

POS Neon

May 10, 2009
NorthLake
okay just an update on where am at. i have looked up and found v8 drivetran and rearend for like $300. My one friend told me that i might want to look into a Pro-charger instead of supercharger/turbo. Still need to know what else i would possibly swap out.

inb4 selling "gay" car and getting v8....

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Take this sound advice and save your money for something else. I understand this is a DD and you want it to be a little bit faster. But why waste money on the car when it can be used for something else.

If I were you I would think about the car I most wanted and the end result that I want that car to be. Then I would try and acquire that car and carefully plan mods so you are not buying them twice. Slowly build your car over time and achieve your goal.

POS Neon

May 10, 2009
NorthLake
Take this sound advice and save your money for something else. I understand this is a DD and you want it to be a little bit faster. But why waste money on the car when it can be used for something else.

If I were you I would think about the car I most wanted and the end result that I want that car to be. Then I would try and acquire that car and carefully plan mods so you are not buying them twice. Slowly build your car over time and achieve your goal.

best advice i've gotten. :bigthumb:

This is true bout spending on something else, seeing how i do have a '72 Nova that isn't complete yet. But even with that car I'm not sure what i wanna do with it. After reading your post i think my best bet would be to hold to this car stock, trade in for something newer and best for modding when I'm done with schooling.

Thanks Bro! :h5:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info