3800 tinted tail lights

• Thread starter imported_silverbullet
  • Start date

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Just do one coat at a time and then see how it looks. If it is still too light for your liking, then add another coat. Your worst case scenario is that you mess up and buy another pair of used stock taillights.

When you're all done with tinting them, add some clear to make them stand out a bit more.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ive tinted several sets of taillights almost compeltely black, and the driving lights/brake lights shine through just fine.

i use almost an entire can of nightshade and slap a few coats of clear coat on it.
do very LIGHT coats, then let it tack up, then another coat, and so on.

BigJermGTP

Regular
Mar 28, 2008
Montgomery
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Dec 8 2005, 10:13 PM
where do you get the stuff to do it, and is there any prep that needs to be done to the lights before applying it?
CJ
[snapback]106443[/snapback]​

Im not sure where you can buy this stuff, Ive honestly never heard of it, maybe someone can chime in because Im curious as to what this spray on tint is.

Either way please use caution when painting plastic!!

Tail lights are considered bare plastic which means that there is no primer on them. If anyone paints any kind of bare plastic you need an adhesion promoter in order for the paint to stick to the plastic. The only sanding/scuffing you need to do is use a fine scuff pad to ruff up the surface a little and spray the adhesion promoter over the plastic after they've been cleaned. After that is sprayed on you can be absoutly sure that the paint wont ever peel off.

This is why im curious to see what this product is and what the directions say for application.

Please again, i just want eveyone to know that you cant just go up to interior panels or tailights and spray them without proper prepping. READ THE CAN!!

Ive seen too many people's car look like shit a year later when the paint starts peeling off their interior panels.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by rion02gtp@Dec 8 2005, 08:18 AM
anyone recommended tinting the tail lights?  i'm thinking about doing it but kinda worry about someone might rear end my car cause they might not see my brake light. good idea or bad idea?
[snapback]106371[/snapback]​
pm raven he has them done with one coat of car paint, they are perfect and look awsome, but he changed to the brighter reverse ligths, just to get it back to stock, that was the only real prob, when you hit the brakes they are bright still, but cruising they are darker,not to dark , just dark enough, well legaly i dont htink you could go darker, i think unvmygtp had it done to but he did it differntly

:blink: pm both but talk slow to raven it takes him time to think

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
anyone recommended tinting the tail lights? i'm thinking about doing it but kinda worry about someone might rear end my car cause they might not see my brake light. good idea or bad idea?

I wouldnt worry about someone hitting you, but if there really really black, idk you could maybe get a ticket.

Got any pics what GP tails look like tinted?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Rear%20tint.JPG

The light would come right through when you hit the brakes or the lights were on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info