• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Advice on Choosing the Right Tint for My Mustang

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Looking at throwing tints on my Mustang, and I got quoted out from a local place out here. And they have three tiers of tint and I have no idea what I'm looking at. Looking for some advice on what's worth it.

Also, what's a good %? I don't want drug dealer black but I don't want it barely noticeable either.

These are the brand options:

XPEL XR Plus (highest tier)
XPEL XR Black (mid tier)
XPEL CS Black (base tier)

The nicer tiers have more options for shades.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Is the ceramic stuff worth it? I'll get more quotes, that was just from a place that was highly recommend.
I know 2 guys who own tint shops and have known both over 20yrs. Both have said ceramic is only worth it if you’re going to keep that car at least 5yrs. They both carry it but don’t try to push it on customers.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
It does block UV more and keeps the inside of the car cooler, i can attest to that on both mine. I wouldn't pay over $300 for a full ceramic job.

I know 2 guys who own tint shops and have known both over 20yrs. Both have said ceramic is only worth it if you’re going to keep that car at least 5yrs. They both carry it but don’t try to push it on customers.
Exactly why i did it on both, i'm a cheap bastard and want to keep my stuff as long as possible.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

My tint guy didn’t push it on me either and I paid $230 no tax for S550. He said he only sells it when a customer asks for it but not necessary and not worth it.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'll have the car likely far more than 5 years. I barely drive the car, and it's rarely parked outside for long.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

My hawk came with limo tint which is 5% holy mother of god is it dark and trying to back it in to the driveway was a mission. I had the doors removed and re done with 20%.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I think 15-20% is the right amount for most people. Those prices seem wildly expensive and it sounds like I’d skip the ceramic. Get whatever has a “lifetime” warranty.

I usually just do 20% all around no windshield. There aren’t a lot of street lights around so it’s about as dark as I like at night and usually matches factory tint (though usually cars don’t have that)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info