Time For an AR

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Reaction score
It is time to pick up an AR

Thinking of anew entry level Ruger, Smith & Weston or Bushmaster. Or possible buying a complete upper, lower ect.

So what would yall recommend? Looking to keep in around or under $800

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Build one and spend the $ where you want to on items important to you.

I'd personally focus on a good barrel and trigger.

Fancy receivers are cool, but a simple cheaper lower will definitely do the job.

Optics completely make or break a rifle for me as well. Irons are good to learn on, but a quality red dot does so much to increasing the rifles abilities.

Aside from that... read up! There's lots of good material here and out on the interwebs as well. There's a number of guys here who are very knowledgeable on TCG too.
[MENTION=10059]Jokerzl[/MENTION] [MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION] [MENTION=4782]cobravenom39[/MENTION] [MENTION=249]importcrew[/MENTION] [MENTION=4698]Mr_Roboto[/MENTION] [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION]

just to name a few.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I'm starting to build one myself. I bought some magazines and picked up a lower and jig to mill it out. Will be building it over time so my plan is to get the lower, mill it out with the jig, buy lower parts kit and stock/damper and go from there.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I have an M&P Sport 2 and love it. Great rifle and sub $700.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Going the 80% route then???
I am, may get a regular lower as well down the road, but wanted to try my hand with an 80%. Been researching this platform for months and quite a few family members are going that route

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I bought a complete psa lower, and a complete ard spiral fluted bull barrel upper when it was on sale, then switched to magpul furniture and have about 650 into mine I'll try to remember to get a picture later, nothing real special but it works has flip up irons on it for sights

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have another 7.62x39 ar that I put together the same way have about 600 into that as well

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I'd go with an M&P sport if you just want a basic entry level AR. After taxes you'll be paying around $650 for that. Or I can built you one, brand new, for $600 cash.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I am, may get a regular lower as well down the road, but wanted to try my hand with an 80%. Been researching this platform for months and quite a few family members are going that route
I have an 80% build thread on the forum. Go look it up, and if you have any questions hit me up.

Mine have been excellent so far, I've had a few quirks but mostly from the shitty Chiappa 22lr upper I got at a point.

As Eagle said, sink your coin into your barrel and trigger and maybe free floating. What are you planning on doing with this rifle? That will determine what parts to toss into it. Mine's a bit on the pricier side but I also put some ambi shit on it and none of that is cheap quite frankly.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Reaction score
what are your intentions with the rifle? no need to spend high dollar on a barrel if you only plan to go plinking at 50-100 yards. but, def don't skimp on a trigger, a good trigger makes a decent gun 10x better!! and that's where building really saves a lot of money, because you can run budget on some parts, and spend money where you want to make the rifle fit your needs.

i started out taking advice from a few of the forum members and pm'ing back and forth a ton. since then i have built a ton of rifles/arpistols and used parts from all spectrums of the price range.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i feel like i need one of these too. someone should build a really awesome one and then ill buy it and give them beer. k thanks bye.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Or buy it with your money under the supervision of a competent gun builder who will then assemble it with you and beer in hand.

:wavey:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i feel like i need one of these too. someone should build a really awesome one and then ill buy it and give them beer. k thanks bye.
I have a really awesome one... I'd sell it for the right price. :D

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Reaction score
I spared no expense and went the Rock River route. Zero Fu*ks given lol. I enjoy it and I dont regret the price I paid either

GIMPY

Reaction score
I bought an anderson lower for $20 at marengo guns r guns lower parts kit and did some work to the trigger. Cheap works great.. No need to buy the fancy bullshit in my opinnion

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sometimes going cheap doesn't always go well.

Buy a trigger and BCG to say the least. If you want, I can give you a quote on some parts as well. I can always go with the "cheaper priced" uppers and lowers from Aero (blemished). Quality brand, and although they're considered "blemished", 99.9% of the time you won't notice it. I might even have a blemished stripped FDE upper on hand if you're interested. I do have the parts kit for the uppers as well.

TonzKnock-G

Donating Member
Reaction score
I haz money! Pm me anyone trying to get rid of one. Will gun shops sell one to someone who has a Chicago address??

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Reaction score
Or buy it with your money under the supervision of a competent gun builder who will then assemble it with you and beer in hand.

:wavey:
Chester speaks the truth. You should build your first one so you can learn the ins and outs of how the rifle works/functions. There are plenty of people on the board who will help you assemble it, including myself.

You should get a stripped PSA lower, a PSA build kit with an NIB trigger for the lower, and an FN barreled 16" mid length upper (Premium or cold hammer forged).

You can always have the Front sight block shaved if you want to free float the barrel with a rail later on.

If you're patient, you can wait for sales and EASILY get in under your budget.

PM me or reply here if you need specifics.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Reaction score
I'm currently putting together another quality Spike barreled build for my father in law for $468 total.

I have some Black Friday builds that I've put together for Sub $300.

I got some steals on a few uppers and $33 Anderson lowers and complete uppers from Diamondback with BCGs for $199 SHIPPED.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Reaction score

Finally made a decision.
Smith & Weston M&P 15T Tactical

WIll be adding an acog clone or vortex red dot, Tac light and bipod.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom