Time for a new gas trimmer

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My Echo SRM-210 I think is done. It barely starts and will only run a minute or two if it does start. It is now ~20 years old and I have rebuilt the carb 3x, , replaced the three fuel lines multiple times, as well as replaced many other parts over the years. I just think it's time to move on.

So looking at new ones, and would like to stick with Echo (after all, I have had 20 years with the one), or a Stihl. I have it narrowed down to two. I want straight shaft also.

The Echo SRM-225 (which is pretty much an updated version of my old 210, just with a slightly smaller tank);
ECHO SRM-225 Trimmer, Weed trimmer, Fuel Efficient, Straight Shaft Weed Trimmer - ECHO USA | ECHO USA

Stihl FS 56 RC;
https://martinimplement.stihldealer...-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56rce/

Both are the same ballpark price. The Stihl has a bigger engine (meaning more power), but also has a much smaller tank than the Echo. That is kinda important as I spend a long time with it running as I do both trimming and edging with it at two homes. So it's not uncommon for it to run for an hour or more each use at each home and I don't want to be refilling in the middle of work.

Thoughts? Again, I've had a pretty good experience with the Echo, so it's not like I'm unhappy with the product.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Both are pretty much commercial grade, so you can't go wrong with either.

Electric as in corded (which is a hassle)? Or battery? Which wouldn't last long enough and I would need 3 or 4 batteries in constant rotation to get what I need done, done.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
5b518a53d574a2984114912d3e25887b.jpg

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm reading the reviews on the FS 56 I posted above.

Two things I am reading consistently that people don't like about it. 1) String feeding issues. It seems you have to run it WOT then tap it to get line to advance. That's silly. 2) Small fuel capacity which was one of my main concerns from the get go.

My SRM-210 has a 15.2 ounce tank
The SRM-225 has a 14.2 ounce tank
The Stihl has an 11.5 ounce tank

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It seems as though the older models like your 45 and the preceding 55 were great machines and like all things, Stihl went and tried to make it better, but actually fucked it up. The biggest complaint, and it's in the bulk of some 40 3-star or less reviews on Stihl's website is around the stringing system. The second major complaint is that it's thirsty and coupled with the smaller tank... On the flip it has slightly more power than the Echo. However in those 20 years with mine, I never had a power issue. That thing was a hand-held bulldozer. The second thing better than the Echo is the shield down at the cutter head. It's bigger on the Stihl. The Echo one might as well not be there.

With that said, After reading these, I'm probably going to stick with the Echo. I know it, I've had excellent experience with it, it doesn't have the line feed issues, is slightly longer and has a bigger tank. I'm also a creature of habit... My two main lawnmowers are identical Snapper's, just 20 years apart. :D

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I have a black and decker 40v that works awesome. Same thing for the hedge trimmer. Electric is the way to go now that the battery technology is so good and cost effective

Have the same and love it, my old 2 stroke was a PITA to get running and stay running choke never worked right and I rebuilt the carb a few times to attempt to fix it. Now I just slap a fresh battery the B&D and go to town.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info