Time for a new gas trimmer

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
My Echo SRM-210 I think is done. It barely starts and will only run a minute or two if it does start. It is now ~20 years old and I have rebuilt the carb 3x, , replaced the three fuel lines multiple times, as well as replaced many other parts over the years. I just think it's time to move on.

So looking at new ones, and would like to stick with Echo (after all, I have had 20 years with the one), or a Stihl. I have it narrowed down to two. I want straight shaft also.

The Echo SRM-225 (which is pretty much an updated version of my old 210, just with a slightly smaller tank);
ECHO SRM-225 Trimmer, Weed trimmer, Fuel Efficient, Straight Shaft Weed Trimmer - ECHO USA | ECHO USA

Stihl FS 56 RC;
https://martinimplement.stihldealer.net/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56rce/

Both are the same ballpark price. The Stihl has a bigger engine (meaning more power), but also has a much smaller tank than the Echo. That is kinda important as I spend a long time with it running as I do both trimming and edging with it at two homes. So it's not uncommon for it to run for an hour or more each use at each home and I don't want to be refilling in the middle of work.

Thoughts? Again, I've had a pretty good experience with the Echo, so it's not like I'm unhappy with the product.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have that Stihl model or very similar model now for close to 10 years. I've not done anything but fuel it up, feed it more line and tear shit up. Not a single problem.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Man, I had a homelite for 20 years. Running a weedeater now.
When that dies Im getting electric!

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Both are pretty much commercial grade, so you can't go wrong with either.

Electric as in corded (which is a hassle)? Or battery? Which wouldn't last long enough and I would need 3 or 4 batteries in constant rotation to get what I need done, done.

Spivitz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Cordless and brushless.
Plug and go.

In time I'll be done with two stroke yard tools.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I'm reading the reviews on the FS 56 I posted above.

Two things I am reading consistently that people don't like about it. 1) String feeding issues. It seems you have to run it WOT then tap it to get line to advance. That's silly. 2) Small fuel capacity which was one of my main concerns from the get go.

My SRM-210 has a 15.2 ounce tank
The SRM-225 has a 14.2 ounce tank
The Stihl has an 11.5 ounce tank

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
The company I work uses only Stihl's. They don't come in for repair to often. I'll try to find out what model they are.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the two I am looking at are $200 (which is about what my 210 was back in the day). The next level of trimmers for both brands seems to be $300, and then up. I don't want to spend that much. $200 is my point.

Frank Dukes

Reaction score
Stihl ftw. My fs45c is prolly 12 years old, runs like a top. I run the premixed gas you get in the metal cans, it's worth it for no ethanol.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
It seems as though the older models like your 45 and the preceding 55 were great machines and like all things, Stihl went and tried to make it better, but actually fucked it up. The biggest complaint, and it's in the bulk of some 40 3-star or less reviews on Stihl's website is around the stringing system. The second major complaint is that it's thirsty and coupled with the smaller tank... On the flip it has slightly more power than the Echo. However in those 20 years with mine, I never had a power issue. That thing was a hand-held bulldozer. The second thing better than the Echo is the shield down at the cutter head. It's bigger on the Stihl. The Echo one might as well not be there.

With that said, After reading these, I'm probably going to stick with the Echo. I know it, I've had excellent experience with it, it doesn't have the line feed issues, is slightly longer and has a bigger tank. I'm also a creature of habit... My two main lawnmowers are identical Snapper's, just 20 years apart. :D

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
My regular yard doesn't use a full battery at all. Love my electric

Spivitz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Man.... Tempting to buy one now and give the op my two stroke!!!
Hahaha

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I just started changing over to their 60v stuff when money allows.... Only have the cordless table saw right now but it's a really nice tool. Saving for the 120v (two batteries) sliding compound miter saw next....

Outlaw

Reaction score
Stihl makes great equipment. Can't go wrong with them. Another solid option is Shindaiwa

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a DeWalt electric weed Wacker recently. It's pretty awesome. Love not having to start the thing!

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I have a black and decker 40v that works awesome. Same thing for the hedge trimmer. Electric is the way to go now that the battery technology is so good and cost effective

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I have a black and decker 40v that works awesome. Same thing for the hedge trimmer. Electric is the way to go now that the battery technology is so good and cost effective

Have the same and love it, my old 2 stroke was a PITA to get running and stay running choke never worked right and I rebuilt the carb a few times to attempt to fix it. Now I just slap a fresh battery the B&D and go to town.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom