Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So first off, thanks to those of you who have made it out to each of the Lukes meets this year. Both Jamie and I have appreciated it, Jamie especially. The sudden demise of Lukes has nothing to do with TCG and everything to do with, you guessed it, the shitbag "clubs" that dishonor the name in the Chicagoland area.

The cops that basically tossed us out, were open and honest with what was happening and could have easily been a pair of assholes, but they chose to be friendly and allow me to close down the meet. They knew my name and knew the site, so if you guys are reading this, thank you for not being dicks.

Basically, the past few Fridays (as I posted about earlier), a car "club" was meeting and causing issues. Two weeks ago, a fight broke out at their "meet" and someone pulled a gun and someone was shot. The property owner, Cville and CvillePD are done with these types of degenerate pieces of shit and have put the ban hammer on ANYONE congregating at either Lukes or the theater lot.

So thats basically it...Lukes is done. We had a great turnout tonight and luckily, I was able to salvage it AND locate us a new (old ;) ) spot that we moved to. I will have a new thread up tomorrow going over our new WEEKLY location with a lot all to ourselves, complete with an old favorite AND a new restaurant partner, who is very excited to have us.

Stay tuned.

And please, keep supporting Lukes. They got the short end of the stick on this and its completely unfair.

JimmyGT

Regular
TCG Premium
May 22, 2016
Bartlett
Real Name
Jimmy
So first off, thanks to those of you who have made it out to each of the Lukes meets this year. Both Jamie and I have appreciated it, Jamie especially. The sudden demise of Lukes has nothing to do with TCG and everything to do with, you guessed it, the shitbag "clubs" that dishonor the name in the Chicagoland area.

The cops that basically tossed us out, were open and honest with what was happening and could have easily been a pair of assholes, but they chose to be friendly and allow me to close down the meet. They knew my name and knew the site, so if you guys are reading this, thank you for not being dicks.

Basically, the past few Fridays (as I posted about earlier), a car "club" was meeting and causing issues. Two weeks ago, a fight broke out at their "meet" and someone pulled a gun and someone was shot. The property owner, Cville and CvillePD are done with these types of degenerate pieces of shit and have put the ban hammer on ANYONE congregating at either Lukes or the theater lot.

So thats basically it...Lukes is done. We had a great turnout tonight and luckily, I was able to salvage it AND locate us a new (old ;) ) spot that we moved to. I will have a new thread up tomorrow going over our new WEEKLY location with a lot all to ourselves, complete with an old favorite AND a new restaurant partner, who is very excited to have us.

Stay tuned.

And please, keep supporting Lukes. They got the short end of the stick on this and its completely unfair.

Great meet tonite and awesome save mook!

Reactions: Mook

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Great meet tonite and awesome save mook!
The "new" spot is definitely going to work out great. I'm not a big believer in fate, but if it exists ,it was definitely out tonight. Losing Lukes sucks but we were able to cross paths with another like minded enthusiast and we'll be back to a regular weekly schedule starting next week.

JimmyGT

Regular
TCG Premium
May 22, 2016
Bartlett
Real Name
Jimmy
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mook

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Too bad there isn't a way to have something like a "pass" for being at the meets. That way if shit starts to go south with people outside of TCG they could be identified as not being members. Granted they're public places, so no real way to enforce that. Would more like being "hey, we're TCG, they're not with us".

Yeah, thinking about it, that's kind of thin and not easily workable.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't think it had anything to do with Cville. Just shitbag people ruining another good spot.
So a shooting in that lot last week? You and I were there last year where we could hear gunshots in the neighborhood across the street. I have NEVER heard gunshots anywhere else I have been for a car show or cruise night. The crowd that has been there for the last several years is a good enough reason to shut that spot down. I never saw the draw to Lukes. Especially after that crowd was there.

But I am happy to see other spots are already set up. Hopefully, things can go smoothly and people who show up don't cause issues.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Too bad there isn't a way to have something like a "pass" for being at the meets. That way if shit starts to go south with people outside of TCG they could be identified as not being members. Granted they're public places, so no real way to enforce that. Would more like being "hey, we're TCG, they're not with us".

Yeah, thinking about it, that's kind of thin and not easily workable.
Sure you could. You can apply for a permit and have an event there. But seems the property owner is tired of it all and doesn't want to have any liability. So even if Mook was willing to do all that extra work to get a permit wouldn't work.

There are plenty of other spots to have meets. In the past even mook agreed that moving weekly spots was a good idea. So non-TCG people don't catch on to a spot and spread the word on social media for groups to come and ruin yet another spot.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Lukes itself was ALWAYS a good time, always. We never once had an issue. It was only when we were seeing 400 cars a night in the spillover lot that some issues occurred. But we never had gun issues and anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. There are reports of gunshots in Elgin all the time, do I feel unsafe? Absolutely not...b/c its usually just some idiot firing off a gun. Same goes for that ONE time you heard a gunshot in the neighboring neighborhood. Police came, no one was hurt, someone simply shot off a gun.

Acting like Lukes was some shitty ghetto event is ridiculous and has me kind heated. Its unfair to those that attended and its unfair to Jamie who helped us out for so many years. In this instance, it wasn't even in the Lukes lot. I had no control over it it and neither did Jamie. It was just a matter of some fuckbag group of people who (like many "enthusiasts in the Chicagoland area) only give a fuck about themselves and are pieces of shit. What happened happened, and its unfortunate. The theater being empty is the problem here. As the business is closed, there was no one there to really say HEY, GTFO. It is what it is. I can rant forever on this topic.

But strolling in here and saying that Lukes has no appeal is a shtity thing to say. The only reason Lukes itself ever got a bad rap was because people would always talk down on it, which pissed me off even 6 or so years ago.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't wish Jamie issues or for Lukes to close. I wish them the best. I am sure the one night every couple of weeks will not make or break them. As for the appeal, I don't get it. What makes Luke's special compared to any other restaurant that has a parking lot and is OK with people hanging out there? What makes Lukes stand out?

You want to split Lukes from the theater. That's how you see it. But obviously the property owner feels different. That is what counts and lead to where it is now.

You yourself have had problems getting things going on at Lukes prior to this. I just think it's time to let go of Lukes and make things happen at other places. I've said this in the past too.

Thread Info