Threw a P0128

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Why suddenly would my car start doing this?

DTC P0128
Circuit Description
An engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor monitors the temperature of the coolant. This input is used by the powertrain control module (PCM) for engine control and as an enabling criteria for some diagnostics.

The air flow coming into the engine is accumulated and used to determine if the vehicle has been driven within the conditions that would allow the engine coolant to heat up normally to the thermostat regulating temperature. If the coolant temperature does not increase normally or does not reach the regulating temperature of the thermostat, the diagnostics that use ECT as enabling criteria may not run when expected.

This DTC will only run once per ignition cycle within the enabling conditions. If the PCM detects the calibrated amount of air flow and engine run time have been met, and the ECT has not met the minimum thermostat regulating temperature, DTC P0128 sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0125, P0502, P0503 are not present.
The startup ECT is less than 75°C (167°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is more than -7°C (+19°F).
The engine run time is between 30-1,800 seconds.
The vehicle is driven more than 0.8 kilometers (0.5 miles) at more than 8 km/h (5 mph).
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM detects that:

The calibrated amount of engine run time has been met.
The calibrated amount of engine air flow has been met.
The calibrated vehicle speed and distance have been met.
The calibrated ECT of 80°C (176°F) has not been met.

IN OTHER WORDS, BAD T-STAT OR ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Did you recently change the fan settings or are you running stock? Can you get a scan with ETC?

FWIW - I get this code on my SSEi once it gets cold out so I swap out my 180* for the 195*.

I've got an extra 195 t-stat (used) if you want it. (just come pick it up.) LMK

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info