Thoughts/Opinions on Maaco's paint services

Nay_Sayer

Donating Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about taking my DD, an '06 Saab, over to Maaco and getting a quote on their respray services. Wanted to get some input before going to see them.

Thanks

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
If it's a beater sure. But expect overspray on everything, orange peel, and it only lasting ~3 years before deep fading

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Depends on what you are getting. If it’s single stage and you pay them to do everything expect a pretty horrible job.

My GTA was a multi-colored monstrosity.
Back in 2009 I did all the prep work in about 6 hours, drove it to maaco and had them spray it with a single stage urethane and an final mixed clear on it.

now to preface this, my car sat outside, no cover since then. The paint lasted about 7-8 years before it started to fade on the top surfaces.

the paint however was always soft and prone to chipping in larger chunks from a rock chip. Especially on leading edges.

I took pics from every stage. Total was about $800

721C69A4-1C63-423A-8EC3-09C24535418E.jpeg
A48F2058-8273-4EC2-8B8A-CEF89836FFB0.jpeg

zenriddles

Orange Man GOOD ! ! !
Reaction score
Maybe get some Behr Porch and Deck paint and one of those little foam rollers? Probably last longer, definitely be smoother.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
The age old saying "You get what you pay for" describes paintjobs 100%.

There is a lot of labor in a quality paintjob, good quality paints and clear's can cost well over $1,000 in materials alone

Maaco is cheap and fast, they don't use quality products and their prepwork is almost non existent . I have seen some decent paintjobs come out of Maaco but like ThirdgenTA you had to do all the prepwork up front. Which if you are trying to just get a car to look ok is a good way to save some coin. Many paint shops won't let you do your own prepwork and allow you to roll your car in and let them spray it. If you don't use the right primers, don't block it right or use the wrong grit sandpaper all of these things and more will show in the paint.

v6buicks

Reaction score
I had Maaco paint my '95 LeSabre when the original paint started peeling off in sheets. They actually did a fairly respectable job. From my understanding it definitely depends on the management of the particular shop. However, I would still not recommend going elsewhere if you're actually wanting something that looks good. My car was white and I really just didn't want the car to rust out.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think I’d rather prep it myself and use a single stage paint and a hvlp gun. You can buy some fairly cheap tools to get this done yourself if you wanted to tackle it.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think I’d rather prep it myself and use a single stage paint and a hvlp gun. You can buy some fairly cheap tools to get this done yourself if you wanted to tackle it.
The hardest part about this route is controlling the environment you spray in. Wind, dust, dirt etc... Can ruin a paint job fast

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
If I was going to do it myself, I'd still do a base/clear. At that point, even cheap base/clear will be better than cheap single stage.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Even spraying in a booth you can get trash in the paintjob. It's easy to build a temp booth at home. 2x4's and .5mil plastic sheets. Grab a few boxes fans and cheapo filters to fit them. Just make sure to wet the floor before spraying to keep the dust down.
If I had a garage, this was my plan for the GTA since the Maaco paint has started to really let go in the last 2 years.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Can use the guy in Gary In. that I used the first time on my Regal. Probably the same cost as Macco, but he does a better job.
You would have to wet sand and buff it though, or pay someone else to do that.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Are you mechanically inclined enough to use a sander and remove trim and shit? I would do the prep work and remove trim, moldings, etc yourself and have a body shop shoot it. Let them put most of their efforts towards finish prep and paint. That’s where a lot of the costs come from.

YoushallgoFo

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200917-132942_Photos.jpg
If you've got a crappy fbody it's not bad from about 10 feet. But just remember you get what you pay for. They do cut corners.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
When I was younger we were tagging and flipping 2-3 G Bodies every 10 days or so. Macco by the Brick Yard in the city would do all our paint jobs. We would tip the manager and painter $100 each and the cars looked really good. Not sure how long the paint lasted as we would sell them asap. In fact when our garages got raided for tagging cars, they went to Macco to try and pull all the records of how many cars we had painted. Paid cash for a reason morons, no paper trail lol.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom