Thoughts on the Mercedes AMG SL65?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So after fixing all the issues with the Karma I decided to put it on my wholesale exotics group on Facebook and see what offers for $$$$$ or cars I’d get.

I got offered an old Model S. Fair, but I don’t need a Model S. And then someone asked if I wanted to trade for their 2006, 106,000 mile SL65. He says it’s clean, no lights, no stories, runs like a raped ape.

I don’t know the car but I watched a few videos and, holy shit… 604hp, 738 lb/ft of torque out of a twin turbo V12. Chhhhhhhrist.

Values are all over the board. Most are mid-30’s to mid-40’s but with lower mileage. I can’t find any comps with 100,000ish miles. Are these desirable cars? Would I want one? It definitely seems like a good candidate to appreciate in value.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Always wanted one but literally every automotive journalists says even though they can crack the tires at anything under 100 when flooring it, the actual driving experience is pretty bad. And obviously they are known for being unreliable but that doesn’t mean this particular one is. Who knows though, if it’s decent and just needs some cosmetic stuff you might be able to sell for a good price or trade up again

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
They are well known for being unreliable and big dollar repairs (adjustable suspension, oil leaks that require complete engine disassembly to fix, convertible top failures, etc) . But maybe this one had all its big ticket items fixed because it has miles on it? I'd get service history on it before even considering it

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
One of the biggest issues on those cars was the ABC module for the suspension, those can be pricey from what I remember, and need a scan tool to reprogram, and seen issues with the shocks/strut assembly as they loose air and low tide the car.

keyless entry was also an issue, working when it wants as it has a credit card style keyless card to lock and unlock, and start the car.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
You guys are forgetting that I have a V10 S8. I think you underestimate my ability to make stupid financial decisions.
SL65 AMG all day long. Doooo it. I have owned a couple AMG cars although not as light weight as this one. They are a blast to drive. And since you have like 5 cars already. You can take it out down PCH on nice days!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Let’s take the maintenance costs off the table because I think we all know what we’re getting in to talking AMG and V12.

They are hilarious to drive in a straight line. In stock form the power is almost unusable. The best part about those cars in my opinion is cruising at 90-100MPH and being able to accelerate faster from those speeds than most cars will from a 30 roll.

I will say that the experience I have with that engine is in a comparable year CL, so, bigger and more luxo-barge than sporty roadster. The SL55 was a blast. Handled well enough for a road car, was comfortable for long trips and my god did it have a good sound. With the Kleemann pulley/tune they claimed low 600’s which I totally believe, corroborated by my 18 year old self’s driving record in that car.

I would take the SL55 over the CL65 all day, every day hands down. How much of that was the car and how much of that was the boat anchor up front I’m not sure.

Reactions: 1quick

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The nice thing with the mid 2000’s SL’s is you can put the 09+ wheels on them and really make them look years newer. They didn’t age quite as bad as comparable early/mid 00’s MB’s.

With that being said, it’s still a hard sell. You have to find a true enthusiast that’s willing to fork over that kind of money for a “dated” car when you can get an 07-09 S class, tint the windows and get some used AMG or aftermarket wheels and look like you’re a somebody for less than $10,000.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Interesting take. The guy keeps saying he wants to do the deal but he's super flaky and I'm just not hugely passionate about an old SL to begin with. I'd strictly be buying that with the hopes that it would continue to go up in value or that I could sell it. I do see them selling used for $35,000 - $45,000 depending on miles though.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info