• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Thoughts on running E20 instead of straight 93 for knock protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Some torque management might be helping out your 60ft and I am not sure short shifting matters in the first second and a half of a run. You must have rage quit a while back when I said Greasy blowers wine reminded me of my GTP after driving it. Thread participants LOL'ed at a GTP versus Hellcat comparison so I took a crack at another one.
No I just dont normally see your posts because you've been blocked/ignored for a few years at this point. But I enabled to see ignored because some of the replies didnt make sense and I was reminded quickly after of why you and many others are blocked. Oh well...lol

• Love
Reactions: Jon01

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
That throttle closing definitely sounds like torque management or something in the commanded torque maps. Maybe the shift point in first is a little lower than the rest. Probably easy to figure out but yeah, again it may be helping you.
This is what i have in that chart.

1668785527684.png

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
This is what i have in that chart.

View attachment 140242

Your gonna want to log torque sources and see whats pulling back or clipping the throttle. If nothing shows, then you aren't tagging limits, its just going to be how the throttle ramps in which is how some cars are setup On ford we can adjust this, as they will do the same, but gotta figure out why and what is the cause.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
That's one of the torque maps anyway. The pedal is basically infinitely adjustable in that pcm as well but it all starts at a torque figure that it makes up from airflow. It's real nice to be able to run a stock map and then hit your tow button and give it an extra few ponies if you have it set up right.

Absolutely need to be logging commanded torque numbers and if I remember right axle torque and engine torque as well as it can get caught up in different places along the line. It's been a while since I've messed with one that deep to be able to tell you exactly what to be looking at but I can kind of point you in the right direction at least.

Reactions: ZXMustang

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Just run the octanium if you can’t afford the big jump to e85, yes you should change your plugs a bit more and it eventually could kill an 02 sensor, those are both things you change more often on straight e85 also, I run that stuff in my street bike dirt bike performance boat everything I don’t want to spend the money to convert to e85 it’s legit, the can you have is allegedly o2 sensor safe

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I know a couple nitrous guys that swear by octanium. I guess I only use stuff like that to determine if knock is false or real and a couple gallons of 110 will do just the same. Knowing this is actual knock would keep me from pushing any farther without spending the money to get over the hump though. Alot cheaper to stick to your efficiency range or make upgrades than it is to start all over with chunks in the pan.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
My tuner reviewed my logs from the track. Sent me a revision with all the tq management zero'd out. Just drove it to test.

HOLY SHIT. So with the DRs on the car, I just did a 40-80 rolling burnout with just stabbing it. The car NEVER did that. It always hooked and went.

I called him back and he said he normally leaves a bit of tq management in unless its requested off. I didnt know this. A bit Shady, I paid for all the torques and I WANT all the torques. He said it shouldnt close the throttle blade anymore at launch and it will shift a bit higher now.

Shit its like a different animal. Wish I knew this before the track day yesterday. Now I have to go back again soon.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
It's the MMT in it that is the issue. It's known to degrade O2's and cats over time, and if its cut improperly, meaning too much Octanium to fuel ratio, it will speed up the failure rate. It's also been known to damage engine bearings and leave metallic deposits in the cylinders, but im assuming that is from excessively high ratio of MMT in the fuel. That could just be bs as well, but anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if people add two or tree bottles of octane boost thinking the more the better lol

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Usually don't tuners leave some tq management on during the shifts so you don't beat up the trans?

Yes and no. If it's a street car, it's tuned like a street car. Most of the time, being over aggressive with a tune will back fire when cars start breaking, or customer wreck their shit because all the torque management is off.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Yes and no. If it's a street car, it's tuned like a street car. Most of the time, being over aggressive with a tune will back fire when cars start breaking, or customer wreck their shit because all the torque management is off.
One thing I've learned about tuning is that less is usually more unless it's a full on race car only intended to make hits and in that case you roll with the data your given. Drivability can be a real pain in the ass when your trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of something and there's a definite trade off of things getting broken.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
It absolutely blows my mind you havnt bought a loaded coyote or Mach 1 and put a whipple or twin turbo kit on it. It would absolutely shit all over a modded ZL1 or Hellcat for a fraction of the price and headache. There are a zillion proven 4 digit hp 9 8 even 7 second combos out there. Hell Midnights got a car running 200 mph traps in the 1/4 on a STOCK computer.

If you have E85 in your area pay do the supporting mods for a fuel system and run E85 all the time.

Anything less is a bandaide and a headache.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
One thing I've learned about tuning is that less is usually more unless it's a full on race car only intended to make hits and in that case you roll with the data your given. Drivability can be a real pain in the ass when your trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of something and there's a definite trade off of things getting broken.

Yep, many times the torque management if there to keep the car driving nice, but also keeps your trans from coming apart by reducing how violent the power hits. Another downside to getting overly aggressive is many can't handle the car with 600whp, even worse with 800whp and it's there to help tame it.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
It absolutely blows my mind you havnt bought a loaded coyote or Mach 1 and put a whipple or twin turbo kit on it. It would absolutely shit all over a modded ZL1 or Hellcat for a fraction of the price and headache. There are a zillion proven 4 digit hp 9 8 even 7 second combos out there. Hell Midnights got a car running 200 mph traps in the 1/4 on a STOCK computer.

If you have E85 in your area pay do the supporting mods for a fuel system and run E85 all the time.

Anything less is a bandaide and a headache.
Funny story Ken from PBD was at Bradenton last night with the shop TT Gt500. We were talking about value per HP and he says it’s not coyote but the GT500. Those are still the kings of power per dollar. He said they just bought two more base ones new for sticker. He ran a 9.7@147 botching the launch. The car was not happy. I have a video.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Funny story Ken from PBD was at Bradenton last night with the shop TT Gt500. We were talking about value per HP and he says it’s not coyote but the GT500. Those are still the kings of power per dollar. He said they just bought two more base ones new for sticker. He ran a 9.7@147 botching the launch. The car was not happy. I have a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info