Thoughts on daily driving a dually?

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
As some of you may know, I have an 07 classic CCSB LBZ that I love to death. Unfortunately, 14yrs of Midwest winters are catching up to it. I need some sort of replacement plan. I’d like to sell the truck while it’s still presentable. So, I’ve started to look around. I’ve found that most newer trucks are out of my price range. I can’t afford 50-60k for a truck. Plus they seem super expensive to delete which is a must for me. So........I started looking at mint LBZ’s. It seems to be impossible to find clean low mile ccsb’s like mine, but I’m finding some really nice duallys. Do I need one? No, but I do push the limits of my single tire truck from time to time. I’m considering buying one and swapping over what I can from my truck and then selling it. The new one would never see a winter.

Main question: Who daily drives a dually in the summer? What annoying things take place with the added width? I don’t believe it will fit in my garage which would suck, but I could probably store it in my neighbors building in the winter. Thanks for your input.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Do it!
giphy.gif

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I thought it was cool for awhile when I was DD'ing my dually. It ended up being really uncomfortable due to the 1 ton suspension. Otherwise, I think its pretty doable. I got used to maneuvering it around in parking lots and whatever without too much trouble. A dually will definitely drink more fuel... my 16 Cummins DRW got ~14mpg avg after being emissions-intact tuned.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Nope. I wouldn't want to daily a dually. Plus brakes are way more expensive. Not sure if gm does diff rear ratios with dually

I didn’t think about rear end ratios, but I just looked it up and all you could get was 3.73’s across all 2500-3500hd’s with the Duramax. How much more are brakes? A substantial amount?

Reactions: Yaj Yak

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
I thought it was cool for awhile when I was DD'ing my dually. It ended up being really uncomfortable due to the 1 ton suspension. Otherwise, I think its pretty doable. I got used to maneuvering it around in parking lots and whatever without too much trouble. A dually will definitely drink more fuel... my 16 Cummins DRW got ~14mpg avg after being emissions-intact tuned.

Thanks for the response, I’m afraid of making the switch and regretting it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i mean, worth noting, i feel the dodedge one tons ride harsher than the gm's, for sure...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Thanks for the response, I’m afraid of making the switch and regretting it.

I even put a ton of money into Carly suspention and 3" lift w/Fox shocks... it was still shitty and insult to injury, the truck would SQUAT like a mofo when towing the smallest loads.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Where do you live and commute? I’ve owned plenty, I don’t like them as daily drivers but it’s not the worst thing. Drive thrus are tricky, parking isn’t fun, tolls are more expensive are some downsides.

Upside is they are hands down better for towing. Way more stable.

I live in West Chicago behind Sonny Acres farm and I work at North Avenue and Schmale next to the Caputo’s. My commute is 10 miles round trip everyday lol.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
If you're willing to swap interiors maybe just fine a clean body and swap it all in new cab, bed etc

That was something I thought about. But I feel like I could swap an interior and some other little stuff in a long weekend and then throw the truck up for sale. Not sure if I’m up for doing a cab, bed swap etc. then it would also have to be painted. I’m addition to body stuff, the whole chassis is nasty. Stupid stuff like brake backing plates, bleeders, etc. So where do you stop? I don’t have the time or space to do a complete restoration on it. That’s why I figured I’d be willing to pay around 12k to start over with something minty. (By purchasing an mint one and selling mine.)It would be like taking my truck which I have really enjoyed, and knocking off 100k miles off it. Plus making it spotless. Idk, maybe I’m crazy....haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info