Thoughts on a 9mm 1911

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a hand gun primarily for home defense/open carry while in the wilderness/target practice. I will never conceal carry this. I go back and forth on the composite "glock" style of guns vs a 1911. I have shot much better with the 1911 style gun in the past which makes me prefer the 1911 style as it felt more natural. Looking to stay around a grand or under for a quality piece.

I am not much on smaller handguns, so I prefer the "full" sized guns. I have felt a gen 4 glock 17, and wasn't the biggest fan of the angle the gun was at while in my hand although it was comfortable and light.

Checked out a Springfield Armory range officer today and it was definitely heavier, but comfortable. Also felt a Sig Sauer p226 in 9mm. Felt good, but wider and beefier than others.

Any thoughts on other models I should check out? Will I regret going 1911 for reliability purposes in the wilderness? Thoughts in general are welcome.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've never had any reliability issues with my 1911, I'd also look at Springfield xdm 5.25 i like the grip better than a glock and if size doesn't matter bigger is better, also check out the glock 34

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
Go rent a CZ P09 if you can find it at a range. I was REALLY tempted to get the P09 but I went with a P07 because of the smaller frame and eventual conceal carry

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Go rent a CZ P09 if you can find it at a range. I was REALLY tempted to get the P09 but I went with a P07 because of the smaller frame and eventual conceal carry
I am glad you brought up rentals. Is this something most ranges offer or how does that work? Also, didn't even think of that model. Thanks for the heads up.

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Reaction score
Look into the Rock Island/Armscor 1911s in 9mm. For about $700, you get a great value and awesome firearm. I think there are new double stacked 1911s in 9mm or stick with a single stack. Will probably get one in a few months.

A buddy has an old Colt 1911 9mm and is sweet so shoot.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Palmetto state started making 1911's also they were 599 on Black Friday look nice I'm probably going to pick one up to try out this year at some point

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend a full size Sig, such as the P226.
Definitely on the higher end of the cost spectrum, but that was a sweet feeling gun. I need to try and find out if there are any ranges with rentals in this area.

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes, higher cost

I started off with a Glock 17, and then purchased a Sig P226 MK25.
No comparison in my mind!

I ended up trading the G17, for a Sig P229, lol

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
I am glad you brought up rentals. Is this something most ranges offer or how does that work? Also, didn't even think of that model. Thanks for the heads up.

I initially wanted a Sig P229 (replace the one I sold) but the cost was beyond my budget and a friend of mine brought up the CZ. I had a Sig before and I liked it a lot but the CZ I bought feels even better in my hand than my Sig ever did. The P09 is the full frame and feels almost identical to the P07 I just bought.
Look into the ranges around you and ask if they rent guns and what kind. Everyone rents Sigs and Glocks but the P09 is becoming really popular and more places have them to rent. I know GAT Guns rents out the P09.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
For home defense I will always choose a double stack over a 1911 style gun. You get 17 round mags as standard over 9 with a 1911. Also for Target practice and over all fun of shooting I would go with a polymer double stack as well. I always found the grip to feel better and you don't have to do a mag change as often. The only reason the 1911 has the upper hand is when firing a .45 just because it's badass and the trigger feel (but that is subjective). Everyone says the 1911 trigger can't be beat but I actually prefer the safety of a striker fired gun. It only goes bang if you put some effort into it. Also Glock isn't the only polymer gun manufacturer. Smith M&P, FNS, Sig, Springfield XDs and H&K all make awesome polymer double stacks and none share the same grip angle as the glock.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
you can take all that slop out of a striker fired trigger with a bit of work also so don't let the 1911 trigger sell you on the gun

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Definitely some good advice in here.

I love the overall style of the 1911's and was really quite accurate with the .45 I shot as well. That was surprising to me as I sucked ass with the XD I shot in .45. Though, that is a poor comparison as I think the XD was a much shorter barrel and smaller gun than the 1911.

I do like the newer technology with composites in guns as they felt light and well balanced in my hand. I also like how they can be buried in horse shit and thrown in a freezing lake and still shoot without issue. That is the type of reliability I really want. Also a big fan of higher capacity as far as rounds goes. Biggest concern was lack of safety switches on most of the models I am looking at. Thought about a beretta 92fs due to the safety, but it is in a weird spot to me. I am not against my finger being the safety at all, just have an irrational concern about the possibility of ND.

Going to try to hit up a coupl places I found online to see what guns I can rent that are on my list. That Sig p226 gives me a massive hard on.

Is the p226 cost increase really worth it? Seems like a really high quality firearm from what I have read. A local sportman warehouse has 10% off all guns and ammo until tomorrow.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
There aren't many gun range rental options. Looks like calibers is the main place with the most options. They don't have the sig, xdm, or CZ for rent but have a crap load of smith and Wesson and a g17. Might as well go take a look. Might have to take a leap of faith as far as final purchase goes.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, do you have your heart set on a 1911 or a 1911 battery of arms? If it were me, I'd be looking at a 92, Hi-Power, CZ, EAA Witness (Tangfoglio), Sig and probably a couple I'm forgetting for a deal. I'd rather have one of those overall for capacity and reliability (never shot one but heard 1911s can be finicky with 9mm) although admittedly a 9mm 1911 may be slightly slimmer in the grip.

blck10th

Reaction score
My only 9mm 1911

It was a bit of a pita. After I polished the feed ramp with some diamond polish it's been fine

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, do you have your heart set on a 1911 or a 1911 battery of arms? If it were me, I'd be looking at a 92, Hi-Power, CZ, EAA Witness (Tangfoglio), Sig and probably a couple I'm forgetting for a deal. I'd rather have one of those overall for capacity and reliability (never shot one but heard 1911s can be finicky with 9mm) although admittedly a 9mm 1911 may be slightly slimmer in the grip.
Not necessarily set on a 1911, I just really enjoy them. Might go shoot the beretta tomorrow at the range as a rental to see how I like it. I am not the biggest fan of the exposed barrel, but if the military okayed them for use, I am sure they are reliable and durable enough. I like the sig p226, but no one rents them around here to test out and I don't know if I feel comfortable dropping that coin without trying it first. Also, I like guns with safeties.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely some good advice in here.

I love the overall style of the 1911's and was really quite accurate with the .45 I shot as well. That was surprising to me as I sucked ass with the XD I shot in .45. Though, that is a poor comparison as I think the XD was a much shorter barrel and smaller gun than the 1911.

I do like the newer technology with composites in guns as they felt light and well balanced in my hand. I also like how they can be buried in horse shit and thrown in a freezing lake and still shoot without issue. That is the type of reliability I really want. Also a big fan of higher capacity as far as rounds goes. Biggest concern was lack of safety switches on most of the models I am looking at. Thought about a beretta 92fs due to the safety, but it is in a weird spot to me. I am not against my finger being the safety at all, just have an irrational concern about the possibility of ND.

Going to try to hit up a coupl places I found online to see what guns I can rent that are on my list. That Sig p226 gives me a massive hard on.

Is the p226 cost increase really worth it? Seems like a really high quality firearm from what I have read. A local sportman warehouse has 10% off all guns and ammo until tomorrow.
You've answered your own question in this post! :D

First off, I've got two SIGs, multiple Glocks including a 19 and 17, the CZ talked about above... even a Springfield 45 XD! But no 1911 in my safe. There's one primary reason for that - reliability.

When I FIRST shot a pistol years ago, it was with a friend's 1911. In that short experience at an indoor range, I learned I did not like the 1911 for its complexity and lack of reliability to go BANG when I asked it to. For me, this was a 100% disqualifying quality in a firearm. Sure they might look sexy and lord knows the power of the mythical .45! (note the sarcasm)

Second, I know for a proven fact that I cannot fire a .45 as quickly and accurately as I can a 9mm. This might not be the same for you, but I would almost assure you that it is - hence why most of the military, FBI and many police forces across the nation have gone to 9mm.

Third, 45 ammo is more expensive no matter how you acquire it. Practice makes perfect, so taking on a round that limits your ability to practice is self defeating, IMO.

Finally, Glocks are my choice specifically because in self defense situations, safety toggles are a hazard to me. They require fine motor control and ideal conditions to work reliably. Make it cold, wet, stressful - and that little tiny lever just increased the probability of your firearm being turned into a fancy hammer, because it won't allow you to fire it. Which means its more likely to be used on or against you by whomever you intended to use it on in the first place. Hesitation / delay is a risk to your life in these situations. Training does a fantastic job of demonstrating how a safety plays into that initial shot getting off and showing you with data (namely timers) that you are indeed slower with a safety - assuming you're able to work it at all.

So long story short, while I own most of the guns talked about in this thread - I don't own a 1911. Yeah, they hold a place in many service member's hearts as being the go to sidearm for many decades - but there are better options out there today.

PS - I second the thing about the trigger. You can "fix" the trigger in pretty much all of the handguns being discussed in this thread to make them just as good if not even better than any 1911.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
:h5:
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] do you hear of many NDs with the lack of safety switches or is the finger the best safety? Definitely a good point about high stress scenarios. I think it was my buddies XD that had the handle type safety where you have to have a solid grip for the safety to be disengaged. I didn't mind that at all.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I didn't feel comfortable without a safety when i first started into hand guns, my first hand gun was a springfield 1911 right after i turned 21, I currently don't carry anything that has a safety the closest ive come to a nd is an accidental double tap before i was used to a new trigger in my xdm i took all the pre and overtravel out of the trigger and its sitting right about 2.5lbs I was taking up the pre travel when i remembered there wasn't any anymore bang lol but it hit paper since i follow the rules

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
a holster with trigger protection, always draw with a straight finger, and watch the gun go back into the holster with a straight finger, just get used to keeping your finger away from the trigger until your on target and you will be good

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
a holster with trigger protection, always draw with a straight finger, and watch the gun go back into the holster with a straight finger, just get used to keeping your finger away from the trigger until your on target and you will be good
This makes a lot of sense.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've never once had a problem with my 1911. I would stand by it if my life depended on it. I hear a lot of people saying they've had issues and others (like me) who haven't had issues. :dunno:

But I do not carry the 1911. For a carry gun, I have the Ruger SR9C.

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
The whole safety issue......my P07 has the decocker from the factory. Not sure I like it yet since I'm so used to a normal safety (which comes in a bag with the pistol) and I'm used to one motion of pulling the gun and clicking the safety at the same time. Granted the double action trigger pull is substantial and shouldn't be able to be accidentally triggered but I'm not 100% sure I trust it yet. Am I just being paranoid?

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
I do not own a gun with a safety other than a hinged trigger. It's all about being comfortable with your fire arm. Walk around the house and holster draw with your gun unloaded but in battery. That helped me out a lot. I have also never done a trigger job on any of my pistols I carry. If shit ever hits that fan I guarantee you won't know the difference between a 4# and 6# trigger and won't care about creep or take up. Also I only carry stock firearms because I don't want the weapon to ever incriminate me if I ever had to use it in a self defense scenario.

Your best bet it to take a ride up to Marengo guns. They have a huge selection on the wall so you can play with the ones you listed and see how they feel. Great prices too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom