On Topic Those who have actually moved out of Illinois, any tips or suggestions?

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't want to make this post TOO long, but feel like it might be a little long to get my point across so bear with me.

I have always said that the biggest reason I haven't left Illinois is because my family is here and I know that I will need to take care of the parents when that time comes. I'm not thrilled with the way the state is run, taxes are crazy, overall not good for someone very pro-2A, etc.

So I was at the parents house over the weekend talking with them, and they are actually talking about getting out of IL now since my Mom is close to retiring. My Dad is already retired, and I thought we would have to bury him with their house (he bought it when he was in Vietnam for his parents, so it has sentimental value to him) but even he is saying he's done with all the IL bullshit.

So now I'm in a mindset of planning an exodus from IL and am curious how everyone went about doing it. Currently the parents were thinking a 5 year plan to get everything in order and start deciding where we might want to move to, so with that goal in mind I am thinking about selling my house and moving back into their house while the market is crazy. I have a feeling the bubble on the housing market has to pop soon and am hoping by moving back in there that I can squirrel away a ton of money to hopefully buy something much nicer out of state. I obviously haven't even thought about work or anything like that, but if I was able to buy the place I wanted to move to and taxes and everything weren't as crazy as here, I wouldn't need close to what I am making now either, so I'm not TOO concerned about that right now.

So far the parents and my brothers demands are:
Room enough for a garden for my mom to garden in.
TV and Internet accessible (I think Starlink will solve this within the next 5 years for sure?)
"Red" state (theyre as tired of the political BS as I am)
Most importantly, a hospital with a VA within an hour of the place we live (My Dad needs to visit the VA every 6 months to keep his prescriptions filled)

My demands are simple:
Tons of land (I want to be able to shoot on my property without anyone giving a fuck)
Low property taxes
Very Pro-2A state with "homesteading" abilities. Basically I want to be left the fuck alone to be able to do whatever I want.

Realistically, we would want to find a property large enough where we could live there, and build more on the property.... Build a guest house, build a huge shop, build a separate residence, etc.

So far the two areas that are maybes are the Black Hills area (I LOVED it when I visited last year and am taking my Dad in May to see it himself), and in SW Missouri someplace. There is family in that area, and my other family love to visit the Branson area so it might work out well. Still have a bunch of other places that might fit those categories, so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to name them.

The only definite NO locations so far are Florida and Indiana. Sorry for those who live there, but this would be a family vote and those two locations are already out. :bowrofl:

So I guess I am looking for tips or suggestions from anyone, especially those who actually got out, made it work, and don't regret it for a second......

Am I on the right train of thought with a 5 year plan, or should it take less time or more time?

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
The time frame is up to you guys IMO. We decided one month to leave to New Mexico and 2 months later we were out of Illinois. I love it out here. good weather, tons of land, pro2A, beautiful state.
Good luck either way. Moving out of Illinois was a huge breath of fresh air.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
your hospital requirement is a significant one and a good one to remember.

the hospitals near my inlaws- id do everything in my power to not be in one of those. my relative was diagnosed type 1 diabetes but he was actually type 2... didn't find out until years upon years later.

out west, "good" hospitals seem few and far between, i mean shit i have a relative who got sent home while their appendix was rupturing :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
The time frame is up to you guys IMO. We decided one month to leave to New Mexico and 2 months later we were out of Illinois. I love it out here. good weather, tons of land, pro2A, beautiful state.
Good luck either way. Moving out of Illinois was a huge breath of fresh air.

i think i like where you're at because unlike colorado/florida/etc it's not TrEnDy... like i think a lot of people are moving to CO just because it's popular.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was blessed to be able to leave third quarter 2020.

My point, I asked a couple times over the years if I could work remotely. They frowned upon the idea wanting bodies in the office.

I have two Brothers and their Families planted there in Illinois.
My point, if I were an only child or the only one left in Illinois I absolutely would not had left my Parents (just saying)

It was a hassle selling the house, buying another, moving etc however never had a thought of regret. Not one.
We are very happy to be in Eastern Tennessee.

Good luck Man 💪👍

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't want to make this post TOO long, but feel like it might be a little long to get my point across so bear with me.

I have always said that the biggest reason I haven't left Illinois is because my family is here and I know that I will need to take care of the parents when that time comes. I'm not thrilled with the way the state is run, taxes are crazy, overall not good for someone very pro-2A, etc.

So I was at the parents house over the weekend talking with them, and they are actually talking about getting out of IL now since my Mom is close to retiring. My Dad is already retired, and I thought we would have to bury him with their house (he bought it when he was in Vietnam for his parents, so it has sentimental value to him) but even he is saying he's done with all the IL bullshit.

So now I'm in a mindset of planning an exodus from IL and am curious how everyone went about doing it. Currently the parents were thinking a 5 year plan to get everything in order and start deciding where we might want to move to, so with that goal in mind I am thinking about selling my house and moving back into their house while the market is crazy. I have a feeling the bubble on the housing market has to pop soon and am hoping by moving back in there that I can squirrel away a ton of money to hopefully buy something much nicer out of state. I obviously haven't even thought about work or anything like that, but if I was able to buy the place I wanted to move to and taxes and everything weren't as crazy as here, I wouldn't need close to what I am making now either, so I'm not TOO concerned about that right now.

So far the parents and my brothers demands are:
Room enough for a garden for my mom to garden in.
TV and Internet accessible (I think Starlink will solve this within the next 5 years for sure?)
"Red" state (theyre as tired of the political BS as I am)
Most importantly, a hospital with a VA within an hour of the place we live (My Dad needs to visit the VA every 6 months to keep his prescriptions filled)

My demands are simple:
Tons of land (I want to be able to shoot on my property without anyone giving a fuck)
Low property taxes
Very Pro-2A state with "homesteading" abilities. Basically I want to be left the fuck alone to be able to do whatever I want.

Realistically, we would want to find a property large enough where we could live there, and build more on the property.... Build a guest house, build a huge shop, build a separate residence, etc.

So far the two areas that are maybes are the Black Hills area (I LOVED it when I visited last year and am taking my Dad in May to see it himself), and in SW Missouri someplace. There is family in that area, and my other family love to visit the Branson area so it might work out well. Still have a bunch of other places that might fit those categories, so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to name them.

The only definite NO locations so far are Florida and Indiana. Sorry for those who live there, but this would be a family vote and those two locations are already out. :bowrofl:

So I guess I am looking for tips or suggestions from anyone, especially those who actually got out, made it work, and don't regret it for a second......

Am I on the right train of thought with a 5 year plan, or should it take less time or more time?

i guess also what's important to think about is what sort of climate.

i don't mind cold/snow... but my wife can't stand it.

TN is pretty neat.

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
your hospital requirement is a significant one and a good one to remember.

the hospitals near my inlaws- id do everything in my power to not be in one of those. my relative was diagnosed type 1 diabetes but he was actually type 2... didn't find out until years upon years later.

out west, "good" hospitals seem few and far between, i mean shit i have a relative who got sent home while their appendix was rupturing :rofl:
Yeah, thats the big one. I take my Dad to Hines VA every six months because otherwise his chemo meds are stupid expensive and the cause was from Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam so they cover it....

Realistically they just do a checkup and sign off on keeping the meds going.

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
i guess also what's important to think about is what sort of climate.

i don't mind cold/snow... but my wife can't stand it.

TN is pretty neat.
We brought that up and my parents both said they love the snow as long as theyre not having to travel in it.

I wouldnt mind it as long as I had a SxS or 4 wheeler or something with a plow.... Or even just an old truck to leave there to plow with or whatever.

Its just crazy seeing houses with 100+ acres and the taxes are under 2k a year. I found one looking yesterday (though we're nowhere near ready to move) and it had two houses already on the land, a huge pole barn, etc. and was like 180 acres, and the taxes were $1900 a year. :bowrofl:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
Donating Member
Reaction score
I only know this because of my grandpa. Louisville has a "decent" VA from what I remember but if all your dad really has to do is go and get a checkup and a signature, the "care" aspect is already long gone and now he just gets his pills.

It's Kentucky but... Kentucky.

Five-0

Regular
Reaction score
I'm floating in the same boat here, so following along. We were gung ho to leave last year and bought a little piece of land in South Carolina. Then we found out we were having our 4th child (Now a week old) and that put everything on hold and now the wife is having second thoughts :rolleyes:. Upstate South Carolina is beautiful, great weather, lots of space, lakes, etc.

Also, I'd be happy to help with your house sale as I'm a licensed realtor on the side. If I can't leave yet, I can at least help others that can! :s00ls:

Lead Pipe

110% Flex
Reaction score
I'm a fan of moving out west. AZ, NV, CO are top of my list in that order. My GF's parents live in Reno and I loved every bit of it. Finding work is my problem on top of a GF that loves her job...

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
We brought that up and my parents both said they love the snow as long as theyre not having to travel in it.

I wouldnt mind it as long as I had a SxS or 4 wheeler or something with a plow.... Or even just an old truck to leave there to plow with or whatever.

Its just crazy seeing houses with 100+ acres and the taxes are under 2k a year. I found one looking yesterday (though we're nowhere near ready to move) and it had two houses already on the land, a huge pole barn, etc. and was like 180 acres, and the taxes were $1900 a year. :bowrofl:

remember all the other taxes though. KY and im unsure if TN has it or not- but personal property taxes. personal prop taxes will fucking GETCHYA

my relatives just moved to SC and if he does personal property tax LEGIT he will be getting raped harder than he was on his land/house property tax here.

theres a chart near the bottom from 2017 of what states have it and what is covered.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong in a southern red state as long as you avoid arkansas, mississippi etc lol. SC, TN, , GA, all great places to live. I could live in AZ as well but I think prices out there are skyrocketing and a lot of people don't like the heat

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
remember all the other taxes though. KY and im unsure if TN has it or not- but personal property taxes. personal prop taxes will fucking GETCHYA

my relatives just moved to SC and if he does personal property tax LEGIT he will be getting raped harder than he was on his land/house property tax here.

theres a chart near the bottom from 2017 of what states have it and what is covered.
Good stuff to know!

We definitely want to find a place for the parents to live easier on their social security and all that so the lower the taxes the better.

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong in a southern red state as long as you avoid arkansas, mississippi etc lol. SC, TN, , GA, all great places to live. I could live in AZ as well but I think prices out there are skyrocketing and a lot of people don't like the heat
GA is purple and turning blue IMO..... Same shit as Illinois basically, Atlanta will decide what the entire state does like Chicago does for Illinois.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Time frame will be personal but i don’t see why it would take 5 years.

I think the wife and I made the decision in December 2018 and were in Colorado Jan 31st 2019. Granted we were pretty setup for either buying a new house or moving out of state as we sold her condo in the city that summer and were just renting a house in Hoffman Estates which the lease was coming to an end on.

Also the company I was working for was hiring a ton of people for a new plant out here and they were interested in bringing someone out with a lot of SAP/repair station experience. That certainly made the transition easier as they offer $10k relocation assistance.

Only things we really miss is seeing family more than twice a year, the amazing food Chicago has, and living close to a place to go for comedy shows. The two later ones could probably be resolved with moving closer to the Denver area, but that would also mean dropping another $100-150k for a similar house to what we have.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
Arkansas people are weirder to me than FL people, just my opinion

ive only been through and been to once, i delivered a boat to some huuuuuuuuuge manmade lake and the people around there were all super nice and cool, beautiful country.

i need to look at a map- it wasn't the "popular one" but one similar in size.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
The ONLY reason(s) "we" have stayed is because;

1) We've been rooted here on both sides of our family.

2) Outside of politics and winter, I actually like Chicago.

With that said though, my family has migrated to Florida and her family is talking about moving south, simply because they're seniors and are tired of this shit. There is no shocker I am absolutely fed up with snow. I want to drive my cars year round. I want warmth year round. So there has been seeds planted about moving south. Wife wants more Texas. I want Florida or Texas.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
Donating Member
Reaction score
Time frame will be personal but i don’t see why it would take 5 years.
Agreed. Everyone says "5 year plan" but 5 years is a "long" time. I've been at my house 7 years and I think back like "fuck, I've been at this house forever."

Not getting too ahead of myself by any means, just hoping to get the ball rolling with this being the likely outcome.
If the thought has already been planted and your mom is getting ready to retire, especially with your dad at wit's end with IL, it's going to move much much faster than 5 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom