• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

This timing chain takes the cake

My friends 2008 Suzuki XL7 timing chain has stretched. I guess its a common problem. This thing has 3 timing chains! What a pain this will be.

He said when he stopped to get gas he turned the car off. When he was done fueling up he went to start the car but got nothing it was just cranking over.
He found out the timing chain went on him. He pulled off the valve cover to inspect and found a roller rocker fell off and the one next to it was loose. One chain was completely slack but the others were not, I do think that they skipped a tooth though.

What are the odds that the pistons hit the valves? If they did how do we find out? This motor is completely foreign to me and I don't even want to touch it. Ill probably screw something up. I don't consider myself a great mechanic I just know basic stuff. Also he checked with a few shops and they don't want to touch it.

Anyone familiar with this motor? What are the best options here? Thanks

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 432

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
that's a GM 3.6l isn't it? sure as shit looks like it from the timing setup.

a "loose rocker"....you sure it's not from a bent to fuck valve? i say pull it down and find out. weird that it was running fine then wouldn't restart. how long was it throwing a code for the timing? did he run it out of oil?

these aren't horrible to do. you will need cam lock tools to line up and lock in the camshafts while the chains are off, otherwise it's just time consuming.

that's a GM 3.6l isn't it? sure as shit looks like it from the timing setup.

a "loose rocker"....you sure it's not from a bent to fuck valve? i say pull it down and find out. weird that it was running fine then wouldn't restart. how long was it throwing a code for the timing? did he run it out of oil?

these aren't horrible to do. you will need cam lock tools to line up and lock in the camshafts while the chains are off, otherwise it's just time consuming.

He said the car wasn't throwing a code and the thing does burn oil so it was a little low. He also said that he was noticing a noise upon start up. With the belt being as slack as it was a valve has to be bent. He is going to start pulling the head tomorrow.

Oh and yes its the GM 3.6

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
He said the car wasn't throwing a code and the thing does burn oil so it was a little low. He also said that he was noticing a noise upon start up. With the belt being as slack as it was a valve has to be bent. He is going to start pulling the head tomorrow.

Oh and yes its the GM 3.6

make sure he purchases the cam lock tools. he wont get it back together otherwise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2SUDMS/?tag=tcg21-20

good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info