This timing chain takes the cake

HulkSmash

Reaction score
My friends 2008 Suzuki XL7 timing chain has stretched. I guess its a common problem. This thing has 3 timing chains! What a pain this will be.

He said when he stopped to get gas he turned the car off. When he was done fueling up he went to start the car but got nothing it was just cranking over.
He found out the timing chain went on him. He pulled off the valve cover to inspect and found a roller rocker fell off and the one next to it was loose. One chain was completely slack but the others were not, I do think that they skipped a tooth though.

What are the odds that the pistons hit the valves? If they did how do we find out? This motor is completely foreign to me and I don't even want to touch it. Ill probably screw something up. I don't consider myself a great mechanic I just know basic stuff. Also he checked with a few shops and they don't want to touch it.

Anyone familiar with this motor? What are the best options here? Thanks

Attachments

b4black

Reaction score
If it just jumped a tooth or two, it's unlikely that the valves met the pistons.

HulkSmash

Reaction score
Even if the chain on the left pictured in that diagram is completely slack and the rocker fell off?

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
3 chains isn't as uncommon as one would think.

All manufacturers need to get rid of chains and go to gears.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Even if the chain on the left pictured in that diagram is completely slack and the rocker fell off?
rocker under the cam? if it is then likely one valve is hanging down. the lash asjusters wouldn't let it get loose enough even with the plunger fully collapsed

HulkSmash

Reaction score
Yes the rockers are under the cam. I guess we will just get new timing chains and replace the tensioners. Hopefully that's all that it needs.

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
You likely have a bent valve see if you can slide The Rocker under there and compare how high the nose sits on the valve you might see it hanging down in which case you have to pull the heads

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks fun. When I looked at Suzuki's I did see that valve lash adjustments were common every 30k

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
looks like more than one tooth jump is bending valves time...

if your lucky and it is just the one chain, you might just have only the one valve bent

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
that's a GM 3.6l isn't it? sure as shit looks like it from the timing setup.

a "loose rocker"....you sure it's not from a bent to fuck valve? i say pull it down and find out. weird that it was running fine then wouldn't restart. how long was it throwing a code for the timing? did he run it out of oil?

these aren't horrible to do. you will need cam lock tools to line up and lock in the camshafts while the chains are off, otherwise it's just time consuming.

HulkSmash

Reaction score
that's a GM 3.6l isn't it? sure as shit looks like it from the timing setup.

a "loose rocker"....you sure it's not from a bent to fuck valve? i say pull it down and find out. weird that it was running fine then wouldn't restart. how long was it throwing a code for the timing? did he run it out of oil?

these aren't horrible to do. you will need cam lock tools to line up and lock in the camshafts while the chains are off, otherwise it's just time consuming.
He said the car wasn't throwing a code and the thing does burn oil so it was a little low. He also said that he was noticing a noise upon start up. With the belt being as slack as it was a valve has to be bent. He is going to start pulling the head tomorrow.

Oh and yes its the GM 3.6

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
He said the car wasn't throwing a code and the thing does burn oil so it was a little low. He also said that he was noticing a noise upon start up. With the belt being as slack as it was a valve has to be bent. He is going to start pulling the head tomorrow.

Oh and yes its the GM 3.6
make sure he purchases the cam lock tools. he wont get it back together otherwise
https://www.amazon.com/3-6L-Camshaft-Holding-Similar-EN-46105/dp/B00C2SUDMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471391220&sr=8-1&keywords=gm+3.6+timing+tool

good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom