• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

This has to be the ECT sensor.. right??

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
Engine bay is VERY cool while the temps show VERY high sometimes..

The reason i think its the ECT sensor...

It shoots up very fast (sometimes)... and then goes down very fast (sometimes) It has hit the Main bar below the 260*... almost "overheating"

Not stupid fast like the Gas gauge on a 4.3 blazer (for those of you who know that electrical LOL)

But i couldnt fathom a cast iron block heating up that fast then cooling that fast.

180 tstat
full of coolant
radiatior fans ARE working

When i first got it.. the gauge never really even went above the 160* mark.. now its all over the place.

Try the ECT first?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
whats it read when you scan it?

my car gauge to scan is way different.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
need to get batteries for my LS1M.. currently lazy.. lmao. i shall find out tomorrow..i dont think i should be driving tonight ;)

But i thought there was a direct correlation between the gauge and the scanner... guess not?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i dunno... on my car there definitely is a difference... (and as of yesterday, my gauge just stopped working completely.)

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So it sounds like your gauge is jacked up. Mine shows 180-187 usually on HPT and the needle generally sits a few ticks below 200.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
i would just change it. its probably like $10 and easy to do....if it doesnt fix it then you know its not that :rofl:

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No shit, its right in the front.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
how's the heat when the gauge is up near overheating? is it SCORCHING?!?!
you might have a t-stat that's sticking closed/sticking open. :dunno:

TommyGloves

Reaction score
Hopefully it is not something more serious. I know that on a minivan a friend worked on, it had a crack in the head and exhaust was getting into the coolant passages. As the exhaust bubble past the ECT sensor, it would spike high like that.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
use a sharp pin to spring the connector terminals springside inward, i've been seeing this more lately, just last week in fact on an int iac at harry's

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
Hopefully it is not something more serious. I know that on a minivan a friend worked on, it had a crack in the head and exhaust was getting into the coolant passages. As the exhaust bubble past the ECT sensor, it would spike high like that.
my bosses' 3400 minivan was doing the same thing. ended up being a headgasket.....:noes:

sp_dynasty

I AM THE STIG
Reaction score
race this "beast" saturday and after i see how it runs ill decide if u can challange my junkkk

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
Well made the conclusion today that when it gets really hot, the heat doesn't work.... But when the gauge goes cooler, the heat blows hot. Either

A) its low on coolant... (Low coolant sensor is broken... Been meaning to replace it)

B) radiator cap is finicky sometimes sending coolant back into the resovoir meaning none in the engine

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
With the cooling system I just replace shit if I don't think it's up to par....overheating is not a fun thing.

Sounds like you have air in the system though. Isn't the coolant sensor on the top? It's been a long time...

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
clarification the coolant level sensor is on the passenger side of the radiator.

Syp i have a pressure tester but i agree it can be air in the system. Did you test the thermostat?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
Sounds like you have air in the system though. Isn't the coolant sensor on the top? It's been a long time...
x2. sounds like air in the system. the question is, where is it coming from?
the coolant temp sensor is on the front of the LIM, on the throttlebody side of the engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom