• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

This car is KICKING my ass

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Engine is done, Stainless Works longtubes are on, ready to drop in!

.....but it wont go in.

Apparently when you have longtubes and a Moroso Oil pan, shit just doesnt work.

I tried every possible way to get the damn thing in but there is no way in hell the pan will clear the K-Member enough to get it in.

Im furious, but will listen to suggestions.

Frodo

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2009
is the pan designed to work with the stock k-member?

i dont have any experience with mod motor stuff but you may have to drop the k-member to install the headers? :dunno:

+1...i always drop the k to put headers on, i dont have experience with your brand oil pan but if it is designed to fit with a stock K member..especially with the long tubes already on, have you thought about installing the motor from the bottom of the car not the top:dunno: dont know if that will help but hope it works out.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
+1...i always drop the k to put headers on, i dont have experience with your brand oil pan but if it is designed to fit with a stock K member..especially with the long tubes already on, have you thought about installing the motor from the bottom of the car not the top:dunno: dont know if that will help but hope it works out.

I have an eeery feeling Im gonna be dropping the k-Member..

Nothing in the world related to a Cobra is easy, and now I know why shops charge an arm and a leg to work on them.

Its times like this I can fully appreciate a Marauder.:dancenana:

Frodo

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2009
Zack,

you have a lift correct? dropping the K should take less than a half hr!. what i would try if me, loosen K, put jack stands under K and completely remove, raise car, put engine on K, lower car back down. It might be frusterating but that might be your only way of installing the motor with the headers on....

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Zack,

you have a lift correct? dropping the K should take less than a half hr!. what i would try if me, loosen K, put jack stands under K and completely remove, raise car, put engine on K, lower car back down. It might be frusterating but that might be your only way of installing the motor with the headers on....

I might do some stock K-Member modification. Im getting pretty good at welding.

EDIT: It needs to be modded right at a very importand weld, Ill just drop the damn K-Member so I can get on with my life

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The k-mkember needs to be notched. We've done it here already. We did it with the motor in the car though. If I remember correctly, it was the rear of the passenger side of the k-member where the pan hit the k-member. If you're careful, you can trim it right up to the weld, but leave the weld, or most of it, intact.

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
Its a completely assembled engine with headers and a sumped pan we are talking about. Im installing it all bolted on, but the pan hits the K.

BS I tell you!

When I built my last motor on a stand I had the same issue, headers were on ready to go and a trans, but when I dropped the package in it did no go gracefully. I still was able to get it by jacking the car way up in the air while using the load leveler to make the engine as vertical as possible. It still was a fight but I made that bitch do what I wanted without touching the K.

JTR

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
The k-mkember needs to be notched. We've done it here already. We did it with the motor in the car though. If I remember correctly, it was the rear of the passenger side of the k-member where the pan hit the k-member. If you're careful, you can trim it right up to the weld, but leave the weld, or most of it, intact.

Great info, thanks!

I think Im gonna drop it down a few inches though to accomplish this task.
If ever I was to sell the car the 'notch' could send people running.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Great info, thanks!

I think Im gonna drop it down a few inches though to accomplish this task.
If ever I was to sell the car the 'notch' could send people running.
What was your ultimate solution here Zack?

Once again we're having very similar "issues". :p I was able to get the motor and long-tubes in from the top, but the oil pan, same Moroso as you most likely, sits up against the k-member and as a result the motor mounts won't seat in the k-member correctly. I was also advised to notch the k-member as a solution and was wondering what you finally wound up doing.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
What was your ultimate solution here Zack?

Once again we're having very similar "issues". :p I was able to get the motor and long-tubes in from the top, but the oil pan, same Moroso as you most likely, sits up against the k-member and as a result the motor mounts won't seat in the k-member correctly. I was also advised to notch the k-member as a solution and was wondering what you finally wound up doing.

Just notch the k-member. We had to do it on Lyle's car and Tim's car. They both had the oversize oil pans. Like I told Zack, you can notch it right up to the weld and that should give you the clearance you need. A torch or a cut off wheel and a grinder will do the job nicely.

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info