Thinking of selling Harleys, need help spending money!

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
So with the kid and one more planned for the future, taking the bikes out is damn near impossible...wife and I have taken them out once this year. Also, riding is scary now that I'm responsible for another life.

That said, I'm strongly thinking about selling both bikes which would put 20-25k in my pocket to play with. My thoughts are a boat, travel trailer, or even a 4 seat SxS for family adventures.

I'm fairly familiar with boating. My dad had a couple boats when I was younger and we'd spend our weekends on the chain. When I was a bit older I had the spare keys and he'd let me take the boat out whenever I'd want. Always had a great time on the water and it'd be a great family activity so it's probably my #1 choice right now.

Travel trailers I have zero experience with. I've been told to look for a gently used year or two old model and you can save a shit ton of money. Like half or MSRP? How much does it typically cost to store one of these? What do most camp sites charge?

A SxS would be a lot of fun I'd think, but where in IL could you even take one of these? In a mountainous area like Colorado or even Kentucky and Tennessee I bet would be an amazing place to have a SxS.

So what would you guys do???

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
boats are sweet if "they are easy"... i have a pontoon floating in the water under a quarter mile from my house, from when I get home from work, my wife and i can be on it with it uncovered and driving in under 13 minutes. if i was 30-40 minutes away from it, or if i had to trailer it to a launch/launch retrieve it, we wouldn't go out as much... and i mean, i've launched/retrieved boats, hundreds of times... so it's not a big deal at all. just the added time/work to do it would restrict me from doing it as frequently.... so i guess you'd have to really think about how/where/what you'd use it. so with it being near my house, i don't overly pay for a slip, and for storage, i'll get it shrinkwrapped, winterize it myself, and slam it somewhere outdoors for 2-400$ for the winter with no fucks given.

having in/out service is sweet but costly and has some restrictions.

we have a sxs, and it's primarily a fancy golf cart, but we have gotten into wisconsin with it once, and missed a second trip due to my wife's gpa passing. there are a LOT of trails/roads to rip in wisconsin, and i think the more governing body's realize snowmobiling isn't the wisco cash cow it was in the 90s, and OH HEY, these sxs people bring money like the snowmobilers do/did, more and more trails/roads/paths will open up. but again, gotta take into account how often you'll get to do it.

our sxs is one of the most fun things ive ever driven, you can drive it exactly like a pissed off menstruating 19 year old chick who just got dumped by her bf and it 1000% just doesn't care.

we are taking it to wyoming this year, and i am hoping to get another wisco trip planned.

i dunno shit about travel trailers. the space they take up would concern me cuz i don't have a solution for that currently, and wouldn't want to pay 50-100$ a month outodoor storage.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
you can go to the cliffs in marsellis, but id buy a boat
What kind of boat would you suggest?
Love toons, but I think I'd still want something semi sporty with an open bow or if I could afford something a little larger with a cuddy I guess that'd be ok too
boats are sweet if "they are easy"... i have a pontoon floating in the water under a quarter mile from my house, from when I get home from work, my wife and i can be on it with it uncovered and driving in under 13 minutes. if i was 30-40 minutes away from it, or if i had to trailer it to a launch/launch retrieve it, we wouldn't go out as much... and i mean, i've launched/retrieved boats, hundreds of times... so it's not a big deal at all. just the added time/work to do it would restrict me from doing it as frequently.... so i guess you'd have to really think about how/where/what you'd use it. so with it being near my house, i don't overly pay for a slip, and for storage, i'll get it shrinkwrapped, winterize it myself, and slam it somewhere outdoors for 2-400$ for the winter with no fucks given.

having in/out service is sweet but costly and has some restrictions.

we have a sxs, and it's primarily a fancy golf cart, but we have gotten into wisconsin with it once, and missed a second trip due to my wife's gpa passing. there are a LOT of trails/roads to rip in wisconsin, and i think the more governing body's realize snowmobiling isn't the wisco cash cow it was in the 90s, and OH HEY, these sxs people bring money like the snowmobilers do/did, more and more trails/roads/paths will open up. but again, gotta take into account how often you'll get to do it.

our sxs is one of the most fun things ive ever driven, you can drive it exactly like a pissed off menstruating 19 year old chick who just got dumped by her bf and it 1000% just doesn't care.

we are taking it to wyoming this year, and i am hoping to get another wisco trip planned.

i dunno shit about travel trailers. the space they take up would concern me cuz i don't have a solution for that currently, and wouldn't want to pay 50-100$ a month outodoor storage.

I'm about 35-45 mins from the chain, but so were we when I was younger when we lived in Schaumburg. We always seemed to make time. The boat option would probably be the most expensive. I seem to remember it being pretty easy to go through 50-75 gallons in gas on a weekend and the slip was 2-2.5k/yr iirc.

So no good options for SxS trails in IL? My buddy bought an RZR the first year they came out way back when and even that thing was a complete blast to rip around it! Tons of fun for sure and I could definitely stick a SxS in the garage in place of the Harleys.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
you're gonna want a toon. :rofl:

they're just too easy now, and the thought you have of them from "back in the day" is 1000% different. our lil pontoon has a whopping 115hp but runs just about 35mph, can turn on a dime, and rides just as well as my 26' formula does.

tying up the pontoon is fucking simple because every dock on the chain is perfect for a pontoon, and tying up fiberglass is trickier.

i think [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] might want out of his pontoon at some point, and he's got a REALLY nice setup... his runs around 45 mph if i remember right, and should be coast guard rated for at least 14 if my memory serves me right.

what you want to spend, how/where you're going to keep it & how you'll be using it are the biggest factors of what kind of boat you should wind up with.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
you're gonna want a toon. :rofl:

they're just too easy now, and the thought you have of them from "back in the day" is 1000% different. our lil pontoon has a whopping 115hp but runs just about 35mph, can turn on a dime, and rides just as well as my 26' formula does.

tying up the pontoon is fucking simple because every dock on the chain is perfect for a pontoon, and tying up fiberglass is trickier.

i think [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] might want out of his pontoon at some point, and he's got a REALLY nice setup... his runs around 45 mph if i remember right, and should be coast guard rated for at least 14 if my memory serves me right.

what you want to spend, how/where you're going to keep it & how you'll be using it are the biggest factors of what kind of boat you should wind up with.
I've heard the newer toons are pretty awesome maybe I should look into them. I'd honestly probably lean towards the chain since its easy to get to and tons of restaurants/bars to stop at.

The river is right up the road from me just not sure where the nearest marina/launch is. I'm sure its not far...

Travel trailers just seem like more work than fun IMO. Storing it, stocking it up, driving to wherever you're going, cleaning it out after a weekend, etcetc. To do what...sleep in a small bed surrounded by other trailers? Wahoooo

As you can tell i'm not very big on camping so take my opinion with a grain of salt
Yea my wife really enjoys camping cause that's what she grew up doing with her family. I really can't stand camping when its in a tent. Give me a comfy bed and running water and I'd enjoy it more....I think? lol

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
If you're worried about being on a motorcycle, I'm not sure a SxS would be any better of a choice. There is definitely some risk there.

Most of my friends with kids have campers and usually all get together to go camping. So there is different more of a family vibe there. Storage is problem if you don't have a big enough driveway to keep it.

Boating sounds like you're best option as you're familiar with it. It's not a weekend investment like camping.

You could always split the cash and get both? $10K boat and a $10K camper or SxS?

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
If you're worried about being on a motorcycle, I'm not sure a SxS would be any better of a choice. There is definitely some risk there.

Most of my friends with kids have campers and usually all get together to go camping. So there is different more of a family vibe there. Storage is problem if you don't have a big enough driveway to keep it.

Boating sounds like you're best option as you're familiar with it. It's not a weekend investment like camping.

You could always split the cash and get both? $10K boat and a $10K camper or SxS?
My fear of riding the bike is all the retards on the road. Not my skill level. I would think a SxS with a roll cage and harnesses is much safer, no?

that sunsation is exactly what we're talking about.

open bow up front, have to go through a cabin to get to it.
Fuck man, I'm gonna guess those are a bit out of my price range even used to shit! lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info