3800 Thinking of doing something with my tranny cooler

I

imported_GraFFix

Since winter is quickly approching, I want to disable my trans cooler..I have an idea and i just cant seem to find the parts..although I dont even know if they make them.

Im looking for some type of valve...the ideal thing would be a brass Y coupler with a valve that I can select which way the fluid flows. this way if i have it open one way it goes thru the cooler if i open it the other way it goes thru a bypass hose and never gets to the cooler. its a simple concept that would work great if I could only find the parts I need.

Also, does anyone know if the trans lines are pressurized and if they are how much pressure..I dont want to end up getting the wrong hose or wrong fitting and have them blow out.

Any help is greatly appreicated

I did come up with a bypass. I never was able to hook it up since i broke my trans cooler line on the way to IDD4 and never fixed it. I have all the parts at home.

I wanted to sell this as a kit at some point.

it consists of several couplers, a tee, a 3 way valve and a check valve. the check valve is the tricky part.... you need something that will handle the back pressure AND the temp of the trans fluid. they are quite pricey....
also, you really should have all brass fittings.

yeah, chrys was working on this, i had an idea of covering the cooler with a sheet of aluminum, so the cooler won't work well, thus keeping temps up.

We have a lot of brass fittings at work, so I am sure I can find what I would need there. I still might try the cooler cover first just because it would be easier, and not as messy :p

I

imported_GraFFix

It would only be messy for installation after that it would be a painless way to stop using the trans coolers for the winter time.

Chrys if you could help me out here and tell me what your using that would help alot. or just PM me a parts list. :rolleyes:

I was going to stop at the industrial ace over here by work and just see if i could peice something together...

any help is appreciated

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Can you use a quick connect, like that you see on air compressor fittings? They are plugged when disconnected, and you could make a bypass hose. Talk to a welding supply like Terrace or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you work for a welding supplier?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info