• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

thinking about getting a pulley 04 cobra

joesfiddy

Mar 18, 2010
hi guys i have an 04 cobra with borla exhaust other than that it is completely stock. im looking into taking it to this place http://www.illinoisdynocenter.net/MustangCobraSVT.html and gonna get this package
500+WHP Stage II - Programmer & 2-Piece Supercharger Pulley: $599. (Notes 1,3,& 4)
i called them they said with dyno and everything installed for 755 out the door is that a good deal and what kind of hp am i gonna expect from this really 500? thanks joe

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Never heard of that place.

I say save yourself some money and buy the parts you need, put it on yourself (some guys here have pulley pullers you could likely borrow), and get it tuned by one of the local shops that specialize and have a proven track record for tuning these cars (Kurgan Motorsports or Modular Powerhouse/Mr. Norm's Garage).

With your exhaust and a good tune (with 2.76 pulley), you'd make 450-470 rwhp or about 520 at the crank)

My $0.02.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
ive heard of IDC... goto www.qcaaf.com and read up on them

ive used their dyno to retune a bunch of cars in the quad cities.. they did some shady shit and adjusted their dyno to make the #s read low... we snuck a car on the dyno that had just been at speed inc getting tuned (Fbody) and it read over 100hp lower LOL

we can offer proven setups as larry had stated.. let us know if we can help..

Larry, check your PM's

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
If you even remotely think you may want to go higher than the 500 HP level, then I would suggest that you spend this summer driving the car the way it is and save your money. Then next winter, throw on a Whipple or a KB, make the jump to 600 HP and call it a day. Skip all the intermediate steps and save the money.
BTW, you get used to the 500+ HP quickly, but open up an entirely new car that you have to learn to drive all over again. 600 HP is even more fun.
Also, doing a Whipple or a KB and the required mods will cost around $5K, but you haven't wasted all the money on the earlier steps.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
A 2.56 pulley and 500 rwhp? That's a little nuts IMO.
A 2.76 is probably the smallest I'd go with on our Eaton M112's. That netted me around 460 rwhp and it's a very noticable increase compared to stock.

Dan is right. Save your dough if you want to go to 500+ HP. Do it right.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
If you even remotely think you may want to go higher than the 500 HP level, then I would suggest that you spend this summer driving the car the way it is and save your money. Then next winter, throw on a Whipple or a KB, make the jump to 600 HP and call it a day. Skip all the intermediate steps and save the money.
BTW, you get used to the 500+ HP quickly, but open up an entirely new car that you have to learn to drive all over again. 600 HP is even more fun.
Also, doing a Whipple or a KB and the required mods will cost around $5K, but you haven't wasted all the money on the earlier steps.

I am 100% in total agreement if you are the kind of person that drives it and gets bored with it save save save!!! I went the pulley after pulley after pulley....tune after tune tune.......alot of wasted $$$$$ because I ended up doing exactly as mentioned and went with a whipple....with alot of the newer cars coming from the factory pretty stout i would wait:biggthump

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
ive heard of IDC... goto www.qcaaf.com and read up on them

ive used their dyno to retune a bunch of cars in the quad cities.. they did some shady shit and adjusted their dyno to make the #s read low... we snuck a car on the dyno that had just been at speed inc getting tuned (Fbody) and it read over 100hp lower LOL

we can offer proven setups as larry had stated.. let us know if we can help..

Larry, check your PM's
Bob is the man:biggthump

Dan is 100% dead on with this one, all of us that have had our cars pullied pre twin screw wish we saved the money and just did the upgrade blower.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Dan is 100% dead on with this one, all of us that have had our cars pullied pre twin screw wish we saved the money and just did the upgrade blower.
The flip side to that is that just putting on a pulley and tossing in a custom tune (with an XCal programmed by a tuner) is that it's relatively cheap and you can: a) get at least 60% of your money back on selling the pulley when you go twin-screw, b) the XCal2 can be updated with the Twin-screw tune later in time.

While I am 100% in agreement with you and Dana regarding spending your money once and doing it right the first time, I also would say that the 6 months or so I had my pullied Eaton didn't really cost me much that wasn't recouped by selling what I would no longer be using. In fact, at that time RWTD was still doing free updates and didn't even charge me when I wanted a tune for my Whipple since I had my Eaton tune from them (although they no longer do that).

One thing I WOULD NOT do if I was the original poster is use the company that he linked to. A proper tune from a tuner that knows these cars is CRITICAL to keeping them alive. No sense using somebody that doesn't have a "rep" with these cars when there are several excellent tuning choices locally that have tuned hundreds of these cars successfully.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
The flip side to that is that just putting on a pulley and tossing in a custom tune (with an XCal programmed by a tuner) is that it's relatively cheap and you can: a) get at least 60% of your money back on selling the pulley when you go twin-screw, b) the XCal2 can be updated with the Twin-screw tune later in time.

While I am 100% in agreement with you and Dana regarding spending your money once and doing it right the first time, I also would say that the 6 months or so I had my pullied Eaton didn't really cost me much that wasn't recouped by selling what I would no longer be using. In fact, at that time RWTD was still doing free updates and didn't even charge me when I wanted a tune for my Whipple since I had my Eaton tune from them (although they no longer do that).

One thing I WOULD NOT do if I was the original poster is use the company that he linked to. A proper tune from a tuner that knows these cars is CRITICAL to keeping them alive. No sense using somebody that doesn't have a "rep" with these cars when there are several excellent tuning choices locally that have tuned hundreds of these cars successfully.

You're absolutely right about that I can't argue that fact, dollar for dollar it's very cheap to pulley the car and gain an easy 100 hp for around $1,000. And it's a very respectable street car and my pesonal favorite it's also hated for it's prowess and easy hp gains.

dlaude6

Regular
Mar 27, 2009
New Lenox, IL

As I continue my pulley research, this is THE LAST thing I wanted to hear. On the plus side, though, I was trying my hardest to delay the pulley/tune AS LONG AS POSSIBLE to save some money (want to pay off the cc bill), and this will make it much easier for me to delay - I think I'll just go blower swap next season and continue to look at that massive-ass pulley this season haha. I'm glad I read that, thanks for the tip.

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Not sure how long you have had your Cobra, but one thing I can say about me persoanlly, I'm still learning about the car itself and the power it makes. I bought my car pullied, but don't know what number's are just yet. I will be at Bob's this Friday morning and will be more than happy to share my Dyno numbers with anyone then.

There is an old saying" doing it once and right is cheaper than going in steps..."

Either way, I'm sure you will really enjoy the car. Do what you feel comfortable doing financially. Nobody here pays your bills but you !!

G/L

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info