Thinking about buying a gto

0GBlown

Reaction score
Found an 06 with about 70k miles 1 owner.

What should i be looking for problem wise?

Are they easy to work on like the 3800?

Any other big coupes around 15k or under with a v8/rwd or awd less than 8 years old

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
Found an 06 with about 70k miles 1 owner.

What should i be looking for problem wise?

Are they easy to work on like the 3800?

Any other big coupes around 15k or under with a v8/rwd or awd less than 8 years old
Great motors.... I think easier to work on for some things, however pulling the trans I found was pretty tough. maybe thats just me. Parts are expensive though. a tie rod was over 75 dollars and its maybe 3 inches long lol

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Some parts are hard to get too. Motors are LS so no worries there, it is the Holden specific stuff you have to worry about.

Sounds like an alright deal depending on how the car is modded, history, and condition.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
I would get it but if you plan on racing be ready to put it on a diet, the car is like a giant weight

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if this was 04 specific to mine, but look for door handle paint falling off and front bumper clips that disappear or fail and leave sections of the front bumper protruding. The make/model specific sites like mentioned above will give plenty of info as well for year specific info.

Red Alert

Reaction score
Inquire from the owner what he's done.

The biggest concerns will be suspension. If nothing has been done look to be replacing rear springs, shocks, struts, strut mount bushing, and radius rod bushings. Otherwise you blow through tires (front & rear)

Also.. You need to know where to look for parts. I picked up road safe tie rod ends for $50.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
I Blew through tires even with upgraded shocks and drag bags. The camber on the back wheels makes it that the inside wears like 3 times as fasst

0GBlown

Reaction score
well the car is at the dealership, looks stock, ill test drive if it still there labor day weekend

granted i dont know if the e-price is just to get you in the door or legit.

looked on craigslist around my area didnt really find any 2006's lower than 16k and most had more miles and some had mods like headers, exhaust, and audio. I dont think i seen any with suspension work

im just looking for one to be a semi daily driver right now and then i would do more modding in 3 to 5 years time

Red Alert

Reaction score
You must've been doing something wrong mr. gto... Once I replaced everything on mine I was good, and I haven't heard of too many complaints from others about that issue after doing the necessary repairs. Maybe your foot was a little too heavy?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a gto
lol don't

:rofl:

I guess it depends what you're intentions are for it... but a GTO sure wouldn't be my first choice.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
You must've been doing something wrong mr. gto... Once I replaced everything on mine I was good, and I haven't heard of too many complaints from others about that issue after doing the necessary repairs. Maybe your foot was a little too heavy?
Was mostly for racing but it would still wear the Inside edge. I also have 275 tires on the rear. Fronts had no wear issue

Red Alert

Reaction score
Did you ever replace the springs? The worn saggy springs is what causes camber issues.. Drag bags are a temp. fix for the sag

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Reaction score
Did you ever replace the springs? The worn saggy springs is what causes camber issues.. Drag bags are a temp. fix for the sag
never did. Prob was part of it. I used the drag bags for the track to help with the large squat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom