Thickness planer opinions wanted

Unitsn4

Reaction score
Been playing around with some pallet/reclaimed wood and have been considering a thickness planer. I've been looking into Dewalt but the price of admission is high considering this is just a hobby. Anyone use them and have a recommendation either way?

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
I have a DW735X. It's fantastic, but it is LOUD. Indoors means hearing protection for sure.

Pay attention to the eBay store "Factory Authorized Outlet". They have competitive pricing and typically those 10-20% off eBay coupons will apply when the promos are run. That's how I bought mine for ~$440 delivered.

Frank Dukes

Reaction score
Dewalt has the market for small entry level planers. The dw734 can be had a little cheaper than it's bigger brother. All the other options pale in comparison. Ebay or craigslist are your friend.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have the WEN 12inch version. Its 200 or so bucks and works great. It's not super high end BUT for pallet stuff its great.

PS make sure you get ALL the nails or else the blades become trashed......ask me how I know.....

Unitsn4

Reaction score
I have the WEN 12inch version. Its 200 or so bucks and works great. It's not super high end BUT for pallet stuff its great.

PS make sure you get ALL the nails or else the blades become trashed......ask me how I know.....
I bit the bullet and got the 735 a week ago. The thing is a beast. Way more than I needed, I'm sure.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
the WEN will suit me just fine until I get a planer/jointer combo. Having a jointer with reclaimed wood is a must need I am coming to find.

GTPpower

Reaction score
A fellow contractor here in town has a performax from menards. It's probably about $200 new. It seems to work pretty well.

Unitsn4

Reaction score
Agreed on the jointer! There are a few hacks on youtube for using the planer as a jointer, but I haven't tried them yet.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few, but setup and shit is a PITA and then it seems like an IF.

I need speed more than anything

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom