There May Be A Ford Explorer ST Coming Too: Report

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Yeah I'm not sure, but I think it's pretty telling that Ford hasn't put the Gen 2 3.5EB into anything transverse yet. I'm think it's going to stay a RWD only engine, for whatever reason (transmission/PTU strength could very well be the reasoning.) It does make a shit load of torque, even in the lowly F-150 version, it makes 470 torque, compared to the Raptor's 510.

What does Ford really have to put it in though? A new Explorer is just around the corner, so to me it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to repackage it to the current Explorer.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The CD6/D6 platform is rumored to be lighter, so 335hp with more gears in a lighter platform would be plenty.

The current Explorer Sport is a heffer and tuned really soft in my opinion. I wasn't a huge fan when I test drove it compared to the Edge Sport.

But even Ford hasn't dropped power on any of it's models, even if it got lighter from one generation to another.

Also, the article was hinting at the Explorer going RWD which would makes sense if it's going CD6 which looks to be RWD based; although, the CD6 is rumored to be able to support FWD, RWD, and AWD which would be crazy.

Just give me a 4-door sedan with RWD and an EcoBoost V6 DAMNIT!!

What does Ford really have to put it in though? A new Explorer is just around the corner, so to me it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to repackage it to the current Explorer.

I agree, I wouldn't be putting anything new gen in the current platform. No sense in spending the money on retooling.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
So you're backpedaling that the Explorer will use the exact same engine as the Lincoln?

Not at all. I've said from the start, I'll bet the Explorer will get a 3.0L at 400hp.

Not going to play some weird technicality game you come up with, where Lincoln adds 10hp or something and then you weasel your way out of a bet.

Simple as this; Explorer gets 3.0L TT V6 at 400hp.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Not at all. I've said from the start, I'll bet the Explorer will get a 3.0L at 400hp.

Not going to play some weird technicality game you come up with, where Lincoln adds 10hp or something and then you weasel your way out of a bet.

Simple as this; Explorer gets 3.0L TT V6 at 400hp.

No, you said in the previous thread that Ford would get Lincoln's exact same 3.0. I'll find the post as you have amnesia.

So if Lincoln implements a hybrid setup, that's not the same engine and still a unique powertrain to Lincoln.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
No, you said in the previous thread that Ford would get Lincoln's exact same 3.0. I'll find the post as you have amnesia.

So if Lincoln implements a hybrid setup, that's not the same engine and still a unique powertrain to Lincoln.

Still waiting for that quote....

Bet lunch at HB's? Loser buys the other a lap dance?

The CD6/D6 platform is rumored to be lighter, so 335hp with more gears in a lighter platform would be plenty.

The current Explorer Sport is a heffer and tuned really soft in my opinion. I wasn't a huge fan when I test drove it compared to the Edge Sport.

The body is a little over 200 pounds less. There is much more boron steel fir strength and the rails were moved to inside the vehicle to drop the floorpan. The tailgate is hinged from the roof and lower. 3.5 is done

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info