Movie theranos documentary on elizabeth holmes out on hbo

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I was not expecting that voice to come from that woman.

Interesting documentary, gives similar vibes as the Fyre Fest docs...young, overly confident, sociopath that somehow is able to convince tons of people, and tons of very smart people of a complete lie, and swindle them out of millions of dollars.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I was not expecting that voice to come from that woman.

Interesting documentary, gives similar vibes as the Fyre Fest docs...young, overly confident, sociopath that somehow is able to convince tons of people, and tons of very smart people of a complete lie, and swindle them out of millions of dollars.

That's not her actual voice, just another part of the act. The whole story is fucking wild! I listed to the podcast (I cant think of the name) having never heard of any of this deal. I cant believe she fooled so many people for so long! I started this documentary, but haven't had time to finish it. There was also a thing on 20/20 a couple weeks ago that was more or less the podcast since it was done by the same people.

Sean

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I watched this last night. The only thing I don't understand is how they were able to last so long with (what appeared to be) very low revenue. 1-3 years, OK, but this company was in business for a decade before the house of cards fell. I think the documentary should have elaborated on that

debt and willing additional investor money i assume?

i was surprised no whistle blowing occurred earlier or that no one was able to call bullshit from the outside on all the science/mechanics earlier as well.

it's one thing to have the hubris to say you're going to throw the greatest music festival on an island ever, it's a whole other level to say you're going to revolutionize medicine, take in gobs of money, and ignore major constraints/challenges of physics/biology/reality.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
debt and willing additional investor money i assume?

i was surprised no whistle blowing occurred earlier or that no one was able to call bullshit from the outside on all the science/mechanics earlier as well.

it's one thing to have the hubris to say you're going to throw the greatest music festival on an island ever, it's a whole other level to say you're going to revolutionize medicine, take in gobs of money, and ignore major constraints/challenges of physics/biology/reality.

Her head scientist ended up killing himself because he knew it was all BS. Not sure if that was covered in this one or not, but pretty sad. People were calling it all out from inside and outside from the start. There were a couple people who were more or less throwing away their careers by calling it out, until it turned out they were right anyway.

The whole thing is insane, they were literally risking peoples lives over a pipe dream. They had SO MANY people on board, and fully vested in it, and had the wool pulled over everyone's eyes for so long. I mean, she was a billionaire off of a product that didn't actually exist! They say at best the machine could do maybe 7 test, and those were very unreliable results if they even worked. So I guess its not nothing, but all things considered it was. All of the testing from Walgreens was traditional blood draw, but then tested improperly in a lab which makes 0 sense. Just nuts.

Sean

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
That's not her actual voice, just another part of the act

giphy.gif

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Her head scientist ended up killing himself because he knew it was all BS. Not sure if that was covered in this one or not, but pretty sad. People were calling it all out from inside and outside from the start. There were a couple people who were more or less throwing away their careers by calling it out, until it turned out they were right anyway.

The whole thing is insane, they were literally risking peoples lives over a pipe dream. They had SO MANY people on board, and fully vested in it, and had the wool pulled over everyone's eyes for so long. I mean, she was a billionaire off of a product that didn't actually exist! They say at best the machine could do maybe 7 test, and those were very unreliable results if they even worked. So I guess its not nothing, but all things considered it was. All of the testing from Walgreens was traditional blood draw, but then tested improperly in a lab which makes 0 sense. Just nuts.

Sean

ah, i didn't get that impression (whistleblowers) from the inside so much from the docu, seemed like people were largely staying silent for fear of retaliation, up until they really did come out. they did touch on that scientist as well, that must have been enormously stressful to be one of the brightest in the room but have all your concerns ignored and shoved away. very unfortunate.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info