Netflix The Witcher

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Just sharing...its the same thing I posted on the forum.

Your review made me binge watch the entire season yesterday lol overall I felt like it was pretty good for its first season...looking forward to seeing where it goes form here.

Reactions: Mook

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I finally got a chance to start watching Witcher, and ran through it in about 3 days. Only being peripherally aware of the game, the characters were new to me. Though I had always intended on picking up the game series eventually just hadn't gotten around to it. But now that I've watched the show I will likely get the games and start playing.

During the credits I saw the mention of the books. If somethings adapted from a book, I usually pickup them up to read. Is I looked into it, I found this article. The author sounds like an ass who hates games entirely. He's pretty dismissive of a games ability to tell a story.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Episode 1 wrapped up. Thoughts:

• The sword fighting is amazing. It was just one scene but incredible.
  • The acting is far better than the trailers showed. I thought it was gonna be a real weak point, but so far, not at all.
  • I didnt totally follow what was going on, partly b/c I was working and partly because the dialogue was slightly quiet. This seems to be a trend with a lot of shows for me lately. I dunno if I'm going deaf or my surround isnt doing its job (shouldnt be the case) but I had to adjust my center channel levels more than I wanted. Could also be a side effect of the Dolby Atmos track (Mad Men, for example, streams normal 5.1 and the center volume is spot on).
  • Overall, I'm super pumped for this season.

wife and i watched it from the start with subtitles.

which made this even more epic:

seeing HM as a subtitle 354 times became a solid laughing point for me.

:rofl:

Starting episode 6 now. I think i was just too sleep deprived to enjoy this last night. This show is actually pretty decent. The timeline in some of the episodes gets a bit confusing, but other than that its pretty easy to follow. Initially I was a bit worried with Cavill being cast as Geralt, but I think he's actually done a pretty good job. He definitely does a pretty good Geralt voice from the Witcher games. Overall this hasn't been that bad.

Also boobs.

dem boobies. the one episode with the genie shit, they just had em out and about for a good while. :fy"

I say yes.

ok i did. it was awesome.

i have never seen an episode of GOT, nor did i know the witcher is a game, just binge watched this with the wife over the weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I watched this just recently and bought the books to get more back history on the world. Haven't read the books yet so we will see if that is in there.

As for the show I enjoyed it and hope they continue on with the seasons, it was a little weird at first getting used to Henry Cavil in this role and the constant grunting I felt it took away from his character but did enjoy his performance. I think it's a good story but whoever said it needed more character development was spot on. Oh and it took me almost the full season to figure out the timelines, to me that was the worst detriment to the show was no clear indicators of the time difference each show started off on.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
  • Ciri is present day storyline.
  • Yennefer's origin story takes place like 30 years before.
  • The Queen dies in the first episode but she shows up later being way younger....pretty clear indicator that Geralt's timeline is moving TOWARDS present day and after Yennefer becomes hot.

There are a bunch of little hints to let you know there are 3 timelines, fairly early on...maybe ep 2?

Reactions: Sprayin

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
  • Ciri is present day storyline.
  • Yennefer's origin story takes place like 30 years before.
  • The Queen dies in the first episode but she shows up later being way younger....pretty clear indicator that Geralt's timeline is moving TOWARDS present day and after Yennefer becomes hot.

There are a bunch of little hints to let you know there are 3 timelines, fairly early on...maybe ep 2?
It was clear there were different timelines but to me it wasn't clear when an episode started where in the timeline that episode was part of. Granted you figured that out as the episode went on but I guess I am just used to things more linear and when there is a time jump writers/directors are more clear about it. I'm not complaining it is an interesting twist to the same ole shit every TV/Movie is doing nowadays. I am enjoying this and very much looking forward to the second season.

I finished reading the first two books of the Witcher series and already into the third. The "books" are more short stories put together to fill a book, much like episodes to fill a season. It's like it was written for TV. The first book has a number of the episodes shown. Pretty good adaptation, but the Ciri story line has some key changes. The writer also does a number on you with switching the story without really telling you it's a flashback or a mini story inside the main story to give you more details.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info