Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Episode 1 wrapped up. Thoughts:

• The sword fighting is amazing. It was just one scene but incredible.
  • The acting is far better than the trailers showed. I thought it was gonna be a real weak point, but so far, not at all.
  • I didnt totally follow what was going on, partly b/c I was working and partly because the dialogue was slightly quiet. This seems to be a trend with a lot of shows for me lately. I dunno if I'm going deaf or my surround isnt doing its job (shouldnt be the case) but I had to adjust my center channel levels more than I wanted. Could also be a side effect of the Dolby Atmos track (Mad Men, for example, streams normal 5.1 and the center volume is spot on).
  • Overall, I'm super pumped for this season.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Starting episode 6 now. I think i was just too sleep deprived to enjoy this last night. This show is actually pretty decent. The timeline in some of the episodes gets a bit confusing, but other than that its pretty easy to follow. Initially I was a bit worried with Cavill being cast as Geralt, but I think he's actually done a pretty good job. He definitely does a pretty good Geralt voice from the Witcher games. Overall this hasn't been that bad.

Also boobs.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think I've only two episodes left and I'm slightly worried about this show now...I understand the different timelines and I didn't mind them at first...but now I'm noticing we're not getting much in the way of character development. Its weird because we ARE but its all happening off camera, especially since there was apparently a ten year jump from like...ep 4 to 6 or whatever. I like that Geralt is kind of just doing "side missions" when its timeline, but those are nothing more than self contained quests. I don't know how to best explain it, but we're supposed to care when something more serious happens, but I dont have any attachment to anyone.

The action scenes are still top notch when they happen, and Yennefer is smoking hot and shows her hoots, which is neat....but I want more in the way of creative storytelling.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
The time jumps/skips are probably the worst part of this season. Its not that you cant follow along, but it just really ruins the flow of the whole season. I just wish they would have kept it more linear for the first season. Just finished up the finale tho, and, it was pretty freaking epic. I actually cant wait for the 2nd season now. Just hope they fix the flow.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Wrapped up. Here is my brief season 1 review.

My biggest fear from all the trailers was that the acting was going to be brutally bad. I am very pleased to say that couldn't be more further from the truth. Everyone stepped up and delivered the best performance they could. I had no gripes throughout the season with any of it. Cavill probably delivered his best performance out of everything I've seen him in. The rest of the supporting cast was great, especially Yennefer (Anya Chalotra).

Getting right to it, many early reviews were saying the action in this show made Game of Thrones look like childs play and I will 100% disagree. You cant really compare the two shows, to be honest. Most of GOT actions sequences were grand and pit big armies against each other. Witcher's action was mainly 1 on 1 or in small groups. BUT, when there was action, it was top notch, especially the swordplay. I still think GOT holds the crown for TV action, but I have a hunch Witcher will ramp it up come season 2. The big exception to this, was the finale, which was pretty fucking epic. Still not GOT level, but it was focused and fantastic. Don't get me wrong, this show was still a big budget affair - outstanding costume design, great set pieces and extremely believable CGI.

My biggest problem with the first 7 episodes, was the two (technically 3) timelines. It made the story very disjointed at times and allowed for almost zero character development on screen - everything happened off screen during the time jumps. Most of the Geralt's story involved "side missions" that didn't do much for his character aside from allow him to fuck shit up. Same goes for most of the characters. I can appreciate why they did the past and present but it just didn't work out too well for me - it detracted from the story and weakened the characters overall. It also allowed the introduction of characters that the cast knew, but the audience was left to figure out who they were on their own. BUT, now that the storylines have all caught up to each other, this is less likely to be a problem going forward (hopefully).

Because of the above, the story did suffer mostly with the writing, but I never felt it detracted from the overall picture being painted.

For a freshman season, it was enjoyable. I'll give it a 7.5/10.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Wrapped up. Here is my brief season 1 review.

My biggest fear from all the trailers was that the acting was going to be brutally bad. I am very pleased to say that couldn't be more further from the truth. Everyone stepped up and delivered the best performance they could. I had no gripes throughout the season with any of it. Cavill probably delivered his best performance out of everything I've seen him in. The rest of the supporting cast was great, especially Yennefer (Anya Chalotra).

Getting right to it, many early reviews were saying the action in this show made Game of Thrones look like childs play and I will 100% disagree. You cant really compare the two shows, to be honest. Most of GOT actions sequences were grand and pit big armies against each other. Witcher's action was mainly 1 on 1 or in small groups. BUT, when there was action, it was top notch, especially the swordplay. I still think GOT holds the crown for TV action, but I have a hunch Witcher will ramp it up come season 2. The big exception to this, was the finale, which was pretty fucking epic. Still not GOT level, but it was focused and fantastic. Don't get me wrong, this show was still a big budget affair - outstanding costume design, great set pieces and extremely believable CGI.

My biggest problem with the first 7 episodes, was the two (technically 3) timelines. It made the story very disjointed at times and allowed for almost zero character development on screen - everything happened off screen during the time jumps. Most of the Geralt's story involved "side missions" that didn't do much for his character aside from allow him to fuck shit up. Same goes for most of the characters. I can appreciate why they did the past and present but it just didn't work out too well for me - it detracted from the story and weakened the characters overall. It also allowed the introduction of characters that the cast knew, but the audience was left to figure out who they were on their own. BUT, now that the storylines have all caught up to each other, this is less likely to be a problem going forward (hopefully).

Because of the above, the story did suffer mostly with the writing, but I never felt it detracted from the overall picture being painted.

For a freshman season, it was enjoyable. I'll give it a 7.5/10.

I'll be damned, I actually agree with all of that. :unsure:

Reactions: Mook
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info