• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The 'What Exhaust Should I Buy' Thread - 2014 Mustang GT

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I had Borla S type with over the axle pipe with out resonators and really liked them. Deeper sound and not real loud. I switched to the JBA axle back because I planned to do cat deletes. Same deep tone but quieter. I like them better than the GT500 muffler. They have a lot more crisper sound. Then I added the shorty Kooks Super Street headers and it changed the tone some. Smoothed it out but actually quieted down the car. I really like the Header, cat delete & JBA muffler set up.

Get GT500 or aftermarket over the axle pipes. They delete the resonators which are restrictive. So better flow and makes they system louder.

One nice thing about the design of the exhaust is that you can change mufflers out in 15 minutes. I swap my stock mufflers on when I go on long trips or just want the car quieter. I know guys that run one muffler every day and swap out a light weight axle back when they go to the track. It is a nice option to have.

GT500 mufflers and cat deletes are very popular. If you do a tune cat deletes will add about 12 rwhp over the tune with out them. But the cat deletes will increase the volume of the exhaust. So keep that in mind when you plan your exhaust purchase.

I'm looking at the rousch ones... But it'll be decently loud as I'm doing LT's back with cat less miss.

That is a VERY loud set up. Like the F body cars with headers, no cats and Loud Mouth exhaust.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
SVTPerformance has a good 2011+ section. Lots of exhaust threads and videos. The problem is most people shoot it on cell phones. So not the best way to record the sound. But many have said it is very loud. I heard one locally that had cat deletes, resonator deletes and those mufflers. It was retarded loud. Idle was loud and WOT was just dumb. He switched to GT500 mufflers.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Ehhh, I'll have to hear it in person. I don't mind that "loud" noise wise, but, I don't want it to sound like shit either.

No really, frank, its REALLY FUCKING LOUD.

Guy down here had stock manifolds with o/r x, resonator delete and roush extreme AB. Ear drum blowing. So loud even at slow speed. So it sounds like youre going 100 when youre actually going 10.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Let me help. I have several videos that show my 11 GT with different stages of exhaust. Most just idling though.

Completely stock with GT500 axleback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ETw3aBOTg

Offroad H with GT500's and AED idle lope tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVKCNYvZxU

Offroad H with stock mufflers and AED idle lope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8SLsdvum9U

Stock exhaust with magnaflow muffler delets and AED Idle lope - MY Favorite. So deep and awesome with cats still on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRTL87ly2NI

Same as above with stock exhaust and magnaflow muffler deletes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGLSTv0oPNs

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
And for my opinions.

The GT500s are awesome, and sound awesome. Nice burble on decel with a nice muscle car rumble when you are on it. Its a small step above stock, but not enough for me. They sound much better when paired with cat deletes or an offroad H. The offroad X will make them raspy and me no likey that.

The magnaflow muffler deletes are on the opposite side of the coin. They are totally straight through pipes with nice 4" tips on them. They make the car sound agressive and mean, but will allow you to keep the cats. So its the best of both worlds if you want both muscle car sound with loud volume but no stink and not illegal. Also you would need a tune to kill that CEL that will come on without cats. NOW, if you decide to pull the cats with the muffler deletes, they simply will be way too loud for the street. They are nascar loud with no cats in front of them. This is no bueno.

The stock exhaust with cat deletes sounds a little better than stock with almost no stink, but there is this tinney sound that comes from them when driving hard and its annoying as shit. I say forget that route if you want no cats. Just get the GT500s. They can be had from LMR for $300. Also the magnaflow muffler deletes can be had from planet magnaflow for like $390. You have to make them an offer from the page, and it will email you back with the lowest price. This goes the same for all magnaflow products from them. Magnaflow will not let anyone advertise lower than their vendor pricing or whatever.

So I got the GT500s for my new 5.0, but I think I want the muffler deletes again for now. I plan on keeping the cats for a while, but still want volume. And when Im ready for no cats, Ill throw my GT500's back on with them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info