The tail of the dragon is no fucking joke

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
attachment.php

This photo needs to be made into a meme!

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I really want to do a trip down there!

I assume doing this on E85 isn't possible though??

It's plausible, but not worth the hassle. You're spending a LOT of time going out of your way for your fill-ups, once you leave Indiana.

I swap to my 93 maps, make the drive and fill up a couple of five gallon cans at the last Ethanol station. Then once at Fontana, switch back to the corn maps for until said cans are dry. Trip is cheaper this way too, as I can run 89 for the long haul portion, for cheap cost p/gal and the improved MPGs. Not like you're beating on it, cruising straight on 65 for six or seven hours anyway.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
A friend and I trailered our liter bikes down there about 10yrs ago....yeah, it's no fuckin joke. You gotta be on your game 100% of the time or you can go over the side of a mountain. Other than that It was an experience i'll never forget. Smokey Mountain national park is also a nice place to ride down there.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
We used to run every year in conjunction with Team Integra. That was the days, pulling into Fontana Village, you see a Honda sitting there with five guys under it, pulling the clutch, as ten of our guys bomb past on a Golf Cart with a keg on it, slinging Solo Cups at them. Fuckin memories...

But anyway,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY9cKbhoG3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZScR4a6AY

We also like seeing who can get past the Overlook the fastest. lol.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The dragon is no joke. A few weeks ago I was there with a few members. I had Angel riding shotgun with me as we were heading back towards Alcoa to a tire shop. We were following behind what looked to be a rather inexperienced rider. He was wobbly and taking each corner slower and slower. We backed off to give him some room and eventually he dropped off of the road into the grass, overcorrected, and had his bike do a barrel roll. Guy looked to have a broken ankle. We had to stop traffic and some other motorists helped get him and the bike safely to a nearby pull off until help could arrive. The scariest part is the blind corners. We had to get traffic moving again before a pileup happened.

To make matters worse, there is zero cellphone signal anywhere on the dragon. The best chance of getting help is flagging a driver down and sending them to Killboy's shop or the Harley dealer at the other end.

2hBpWKA.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I honestly do not feel safe driving on the dragon. So many drivers pushing their cars to the limit on a public road. The area is beautiful and so many other roads to enjoy . I got friends that would make "runs" all afternoon. The dragon itself is just meh to me. I make a run down and back and I am good for the day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info