🏡 Better Homes The sump pump thread

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I replaced my home builders pump a few years ago and put in a bull dog battery back up and Coleman pump. I have set up where I can remove the pump in 2 min and re install the builders pump just in case. Just for extra ins
I did the same with our old house, always had a backup pump ready to go, and when needed I could change it quickly. Better then flooding.

Reactions: The Beast

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Just reminded me about my 3 year old Colman pump I got from Menards.

Called them and apparently they no longer carry them. But willing to offer the warranty on their replacement! Lol SCORE!

once I dry up I'll bring it in to swap for sport!

Let me know how that goes I taped the receipt to the door for that life time warranty. I want to exchange mine also. ITs TIME

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Why use a battery backup when you can use waterpressure backups now that operate like a toilet? Never worry about power for a sump pump again.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Somehow I don't have a sump pump, and only have an ejector pump. So the rain water, laundry room, and bathroom in my basement all feed into the same well and get pumped out through the ejector pump.

FESTER665 FESTER665 be like

That Aint Right GIF by CBS

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

Apparently a bunch of homes around me are doing it. We got a letter in the mail that a city inspector was coming to make sure we weren't pumping rain water into the sewer system since many homes in our area were doing that. I thought..."this is it, going to cost me $10k to have a well dug up in my basement and a sump pump installed."

The inspector looked at our gutters to make sure they were exiting into the yard instead of going down into the ground, came and looked in the basement and asked me if the well and pump was just for the bathroom....I said "yep"......and he marked us down as being up to code and left.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Apparently a bunch of homes around me are doing it. We got a letter in the mail that a city inspector was coming to make sure we weren't pumping rain water into the sewer system since many homes in our area were doing that. I thought..."this is it, going to cost me $10k to have a well dug up in my basement and a sump pump installed."

The inspector looked at our gutters to make sure they were exiting into the yard instead of going down into the ground, came and looked in the basement and asked me if the well and pump was just for the bathroom....I said "yep"......and he marked us down as being up to code and left.

so there's another way they test for it... and this way "finds ya" :rofl:

1653567285834.png

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
so there's another way they test for it... and this way "finds ya" :rofl:

View attachment 120767
They did this in my subdivision a few years ago and smoked out my basement, an extra sewer connection for a possible future bathroom wasn't capped so it was just pouring in. My neighbor apparently had a dried out upstairs drain trap so they got smoked out too lol

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
D8242FAC-12CB-4EB9-9021-AA28796616BF.jpeg

So I did install to primary pumps in the pit with one raised a few inches to act as a back up pump if the lower one fails or get overwhelmed. They are both the same Zoller 60 GPM pumps. They are both connects to a back up battery inverter set up. I chose the inverter setup because the 12 V DC sump pumps have no balls and would only keep up for regular use. Not if we’re in a downpour. Although the power rarely goes out, knock on wood, I’d rather feel safe about it. I did fill the pit with about 25 gallons of water and ran a test. I filled the pit and then plugged both pumps in at the same time. Holy shit did they empty the pit quickly. That abandoned pipe is capped on the outside and that was the old discharge line. That line had about a half dozen elbows inside the wall before it exited the house. I now have 2 discharge lines going up and out the house. They only go up about another foot before exiting the house

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info