• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The SN65 project car

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Dana said:
That is some really nice work. A very ambitious project on your part.
I am sure it will turn out to be a very unique piece of work (or should I say art?) I would enjoy seeing it before it is fully completed.

I have to ask one question though and that is with all this custom work and a concern about weight, why are you keeping the IRS?
If you haven't, now would be the ideal time to swap in a built late model GT axle.

Dan
Hi Dan,

WHAT??? CHANGE OUT THE IRS??? ARE YOU MAD??? :eek3:

Actually, I am going for more of a road car theam and REALLY want to retain the IRS. Hopefully I will be able to fine tune the rear for improved traction and driveability.

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
Damn I wish I could find pics of the '66 Hertz car with the '03 running gear. They used the usual street rod mustangII front end and spliced the back half under the car. Yours is not the first, but looks like it uses the most modern bits!

Stuff like this makes me want to change directions with my Shelby...again....
Hi Shelby Guy,

The problem you run into when retrofitting the 03 IRS into a 65 or 66 is that the floor of the 65 is about two inches to low. The conversions I have seen always look a bit off especially where the exhaust is concerned (If you are refering to the car I think you are, just look at the photo from the rear and you will see what I mean). Also, when they drop the car to get the proper ride height they alter the rear geometry quite a bit, which requires quite a bit more thought than just dropping in a pair of shorter springs. At least if you want it to work to its fullest potential.

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

This morning I formed and fit up all the pieces required to locate the shock towers. The bodyman should be in shortly to position the laser measuring system so that we can start welding the front structure together. After the shock towers and frame rails are set, I can start welding all the additional panels into position.

I have been going since 6 this morning. It is 10 AM, I have about another 10 hours to go and I am wearing sunglasses.

It is time to get this beast rockin.

SN65

Attachments

• Fit up 1 Small.jpg
    Fit up 1 Small.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 548

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Sorry to report that I did not get much accomplished this weekend. :-(

Shortly after taking this photo, I broke a tooth. Went dirctly to the dentist. He scheduled me with a oral surgen who pulled the tooth Monday afternoon.

So... I had a fun filled weekend, how about you.

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here is where things are as of this morning. I have straightened and leveled the frame rails. I have finished welding the primary (forward K-member attachment point) rail reinforcements in place. I have trimmed and fit the secondary (or rear K-member) frame rail reinforcements. Now I have to prime all the surfaces with weld through primer so that when I drive the car in the Chicago winters I won't have to worry about rust.

I have to temporarily screw this final plate to the frame rails, position the shock towers, bolt the K-member to the rails, set up the laser measuring system to check location, review all the dimensions, review all the dimensions, review all the dimensions.... and start welding like a banshee.

Wish me luck

SN65

Attachments

• Fit Up 2 (6) small.jpg
    Fit Up 2 (6) small.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 529

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here is the fit up as of 6 AM. I have the K-member bolted in to confirm the alignment of the relocated mounting holes, etc...

Today, I will confirm everything dimensionally and start welding.

SN65

Attachments

• Fit Up 3 Small.jpg
    Fit Up 3 Small.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Fit Up 3 (9) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 3 (9) Small.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 558

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

We are STILL getting ready to weld the shock towers in place. We have bolted the K-Member back in place (this time with the wheels mounted) and set the fenders at their approx location. This is an important step so we are checking our measurments and assembly plans over and over again.

Note: We will be dropping the car about 3" from its current height. The wheel opening will be relocated up so that the top of the flaired opening will line up with the main body line (again, about 3" up from shown).

Also, we are giving strong consideration to changing from the 17x9 Cobra rims to 18x9 Hailbrand with spinners. This is an important decision and we are having trouble making up our minds.

Any opinions on wheel selection would be helpfull???

SN65

Attachments

• Fit Up 6 Small.jpg
    Fit Up 6 Small.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Fit Up 6 (4) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 6 (4) Small.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 539
  • Fit Up 7 (2) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 7 (2) Small.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 539

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here is where we are at this morning.

We have fit the outer and inner front pillar panels. This area is going to be open to the inside of the car and will be where we locate the computer, electrical harness, etc...

My Brother was here to 10 last night. He has located the towers and we are ready to start welding. He also sqared up the rear sheet metal so that we can weld the internal body braces to the internal wheel housings.

I will be welding all day today.

Off to work I go.

SN65

Attachments

• Fit Up 8 (4) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 8 (4) Small.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 512
  • Fit Up 8 (6) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 8 (6) Small.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,043

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
SN65 said:
Note: We will be dropping the car about 3" from its current height. The wheel opening will be relocated up so that the top of the flaired opening will line up with the main body line (again, about 3" up from shown).
SN65
Have you given any consideration to ground clearance?
There is not an overabundance of it on these cars.
Owners with long tube headers and even a slight (1 or 2 inch) lowering are constantly complaining of scraping on the ground when going over anything larger than a silver dollar.
If this is a strip only car, then no problems, but...

Dan

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Well here is my next delema. One of the team members wants to use the 03 Cobra fender flares. He really likes this idea and has fit one of the quarter flares to the 65.

I am waffling on the idea. What is your opinion.

SN65

Attachments

• MVC-005F Small.jpg
    MVC-005F Small.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 486

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
SN65 said:
Also, we are giving strong consideration to changing from the 17x9 Cobra rims to 18x9 Hailbrand with spinners. This is an important decision and we are having trouble making up our minds.

Any opinions on wheel selection would be helpfull???

SN65
Please no, I think Id gouge out my eyes if I saw Spinners on this thing. Why not go with something that screams musclecar? TorqueThrust IIs or Body Coddington Smoothies perhaps? Or maybe HRE 545s, or CCWs? Just please gos no spinners.

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
hj16 said:
Please no, I think Id gouge out my eyes if I saw Spinners on this thing. Why not go with something that screams musclecar? TorqueThrust IIs or Body Coddington Smoothies perhaps? Or maybe HRE 545s, or CCWs? Just please gos no spinners.
Hi hj,

When I say "spinner" I mean the little tri-bar type in the center of the wheel, not the modern physically spinning hub cap. I have been leaning toward Torque thrust or Hailabrand style, but with the modern offsets.

SN65

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
That's the first pic you posted that didn't have a vise grips in it! ;)

I think the flares are cool.

As far as wheels, if you are leaning twords the torque thrusts don't forget there are about a hundred different replica Bullitt wheels in various colors and sizes for SN-95s. The newer ones from American Racing are pretty cool and more true to the original than the others.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
SN65 said:
Hi hj,

When I say "spinner" I mean the little tri-bar type in the center of the wheel, not the modern physically spinning hub cap. I have been leaning toward Torque thrust or Hailabrand style, but with the modern offsets.

SN65
Okay, thatd be good..... I got really confused when you mentioned Halibrand and spinner in the same sentence. The little tri-spoke is good :biggthump

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
That's the first pic you posted that didn't have a vise grips in it! ;)

SNIP....

If you look inside the car at where the iner brace meets the driverside wheel housing.... you will see a vise grip :headbang:

The vice grip is now the official project mascott. Every picture will have a vice grip hidden somewhere. The way Playboy always has a bunny on the cover.

The vice grip will not be denied!!!

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here are todays shots.

We have hung the doors and the trunk in preparation for the removal and replacement of the quarters and rear taillight panel (basically the entire rear end). We need these items in place so that we can achieve the proper gaps around the doors, etc...

I have a photo of the quarter from the front showing that it (the flair) will not actually stick out all that far.

For those who have expressed concern, there is also a photo showing the ground clearance at the front of the car. Not to bad. Looks to be about 4 to 4.5 inches.

Sn65

PS: I have also attached a PhotoShop image of the 03 flairs on the 65 body. This was created by one of the Stangnet members. Excellent job...

Attachments

• Fit Up 9 (6) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 9 (6) Small.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Fit Up 9 (2) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 9 (2) Small.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Fit Up 10 (2) Small.jpg
    Fit Up 10 (2) Small.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 999
  • Flares Small.jpg
    Flares Small.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 465
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info