🔧 BUILD The seemingly never ending GTO project.

General Information

First some background.
THIS is my 2004 GTO. I bought it in 2017, did a few mods and it's been great over the years. At the end of last year I decided it was too slow and I wanted boost. In preparation for a blower (still don't have it), I ordered new motor mounts for clearance and because I did that I got a poly trans mount too. Also decided to do a monster clutch and new exhaust.

While it was apart I kept finding issues which slowed me down, bad parts, "while you're in there" things too. Get it together only to discover the new rear main seal cover was manufactured poorly and leaked. Took it all apart again and fixed that which started to get frustrating to say the least.

Now it's back together and it had a misfire that was caused by a bad injector o ring. I got that cleared up but now it's shaking a lot which I was thinking was still a misfire but after having a friend drive it I'm persuaded to think that the mounts are causing it or maybe even the driveshaft angle since I have shorter mounts, although it also shakes when not in gear while stopped. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the car or if the poly mounts increased vibrations much more than I was hoping for.

A7051C03-1BA1-4918-AFDD-E1D8963C15F9.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Small update to this, finally heard back from the blower place, they are having issues getting some of the parts but they are going to send me what they have so I can start planning out where things are going to go.

Now that it's getting close I'm going to figure out a fuel pump upgrade..... I'm sure the stocker isn't going to keep up

Some of the parts started arriving this week.

View attachment 130436

View attachment 130437
I was going to ask if you ordered from Boost District, but after seeing the actual blower, I seen you did.
I ordered mine in early June and was told 4-5 weeks, I got the same thing as you. Partial parts and then everything else when you got the rest of yours lol.

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Well now that the weather is getting better and I actually have daylight I got back on this. Fuel issue *may* be solved but I won't know for sure until this weekend. There is a spacer that goes on the outlet of the stock pump that positions the o ring that I missed.
0DA369EB-5578-457C-B5C0-44F3710EE235.jpeg

It should look like this:
88E6C9A4-F297-48D3-A233-29AB49F682B3.jpeg

I got all that back together but now there's a line under the tank (GTO guys will know what one I'm talking about) that if you don't remember to take off before you move the fuel tank, it gets damaged and I wasn't as careful as I could have been and I forgot about it. Working on making a new one since the original one is unobtainium. Then once that's done I can check to see if we have fuel pressure.

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Well it took longer than I expected at the tuner because he wanted everything perfect but it's finally done and I got the car back. So far it's a ripper and I'm going to need to get some better tires on it soon.

Engine bay is basically done too. Just need to make a bracket for the catch can and maybe wrap the hoses for the heat exchanger.
IMG_0804.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
And I already broke something.....

IMG_0824.jpeg

That would be one of the driveshaft bolts. I haven't gotten under there yet but I'm going with I smoked the Guibo. Looks like I'll be looking for a solution for this, I've heard there's some BMW ones that work better, I may try those since I'd rather not get a 1 piece shaft for this thing.

• Yikes
Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
And I already broke something.....

View attachment 165717
That would be one of the driveshaft bolts. I haven't gotten under there yet but I'm going with I smoked the Guibo. Looks like I'll be looking for a solution for this, I've heard there's some BMW ones that work better, I may try those since I'd rather not get a 1 piece shaft for this thing.
Why not on the 1 piece, cost or vibration issues?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have zero vibration issues with mine. G-Force 3.5" aluminum with a 1350 U-Joint

The issue I DO have though, and why GM went with the Guibo's and companion flange setup, is the clunking and thunking in low speed turns like as I drive around in the circle of my court.

ca-clunka-ca-clunka-ca-clunka-ca-clunka...

I suppose if you do a one piece and stick with the companion flange setup you'd be ok, but...

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
So I got under the car and the Guibos are not damaged in any way but two of the bolts had sheared off. I'm thinking they may be TTY, and I have had them off a handful of times, or maybe I just didn't torque them enough.

The plan for now is to get some class 12.9 bolts, make sure they are properly torqued and send it. If it happens again I'll be ordering guibos for a 2003 BMW M3 and I'll try those and see what happens.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
After about a week the car seemed good but I decided to do a bolt check during the PBC meet which ended up being not necessary, everything stayed tight.
IMG_0848.jpeg

And then last week right when I was leaving the meet I got a low coolant light. Get out and look and the radiator is just marking its territory all over Matt's driveway. So, ordered a radiator and some hoses and got it back together Thursday.

The new record without anything breaking has been a week. But it still gets me to Home Depot.
IMG_0974.jpeg

Thread Info