🔧 BUILD The seemingly never ending GTO project.

General Information

First some background.
THIS is my 2004 GTO. I bought it in 2017, did a few mods and it's been great over the years. At the end of last year I decided it was too slow and I wanted boost. In preparation for a blower (still don't have it), I ordered new motor mounts for clearance and because I did that I got a poly trans mount too. Also decided to do a monster clutch and new exhaust.

While it was apart I kept finding issues which slowed me down, bad parts, "while you're in there" things too. Get it together only to discover the new rear main seal cover was manufactured poorly and leaked. Took it all apart again and fixed that which started to get frustrating to say the least.

Now it's back together and it had a misfire that was caused by a bad injector o ring. I got that cleared up but now it's shaking a lot which I was thinking was still a misfire but after having a friend drive it I'm persuaded to think that the mounts are causing it or maybe even the driveshaft angle since I have shorter mounts, although it also shakes when not in gear while stopped. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the car or if the poly mounts increased vibrations much more than I was hoping for.

A7051C03-1BA1-4918-AFDD-E1D8963C15F9.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Small update to this, finally heard back from the blower place, they are having issues getting some of the parts but they are going to send me what they have so I can start planning out where things are going to go.

Now that it's getting close I'm going to figure out a fuel pump upgrade..... I'm sure the stocker isn't going to keep up

Reactions: IDAFC21 and DEEZUZ

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
SO...I can completely understand what's going on here. This is my thread on another forum (in case you were wondering):

I'm going on my 4th year of the latest build and I'm desperately ? hoping to have the car completed for Pontiac Adventures (September 30th to October 2nd) this year.

IMG_20200816_184011500_2.jpg

So, if you're in the market for one, I happen to have an LSA and a bunch of other parts (I'll shoot you a P.M. w/ some details).

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
There was some good progress last weekend.
Got the blower on and then set the lid on to get a test fit
1CD3DE89-AF0A-4253-8DAE-80F103A80909.jpeg

A68E1BB0-E391-4613-B50F-362426DD57BF.jpeg

And this is how far the hood closes...
0CCA20E8-EDF1-4CE1-A375-9B3C23588BE9.jpeg

I expected that though and I will be modifying the hood to make it fit. Got the injectors and fuel rail on there and got the new gauges set up inside.

But then in typical Ryan effect fashion, I somehow knocked the new fuel bucket off the table and broke it. So I'm abandoning the 8.1 bucket and going with an aeromotive unit that fits the oem bucket. While I'm waiting for that I ordered some parts for the intake and then some other misc. parts that I'll need.
Once the intake is mounted going to relocate the PS reservoir and mount the heat exchanger tank as well.

E567E63C-7D09-46AA-A813-04DE875E732F.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Looking good. I always thought it was so goofy how the '04 had the single side exhaust but was true duals, but now I like the understated look of it. Reminds me of the SLP 2OTL for the 4th gen.
Yea, the problem is though, anything aftermarket is a bitch to fit. Then if you go with a real driveshaft, not the 2-piece companion flange set-up they use stock, then you have to drop it down to clear.

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Well after many delays (took a month to get the intercooler brick reinforced) I have run into a wall. Everything is together to make the car run but it's not getting fuel. Pump primes and there is fuel in the lines but it isn't making pressure on the gauge. Not really sure what's going on but once I get that resolved I can start it.

• Wow
Reactions: Pro Stock John

Thread Info