šŸ”§ BUILD The Replacement for the Cobra. V: ā€œGreasyā€™s Fuck Your Blower-Coyote, Super-Secret Stick-Shift Hellcat Buildā€

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Shimmed the trans crossmember more and eliminated the interference. Wasnā€™t comfortable using the stock crossmember bolts because of shimming the crossmember down so much, ended up picking some longer bolts from Ace. Bolted the exhaust up and took the car out. The car is running great! Between the driveshaft and all of the suspension work I was worried the car would feel a little too rough, quite the opposite. Car is super smooth. Cleaned her up and went to Mook Mook ā€˜s.

View attachment 87283
That car looks fucking goooooooood, perfect wheels/stance

• Love
Reactions: greasy

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
PXL_20210424_215528031.jpg

PXL_20210424_235143416.jpg

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Shimmed the trans crossmember more and eliminated the interference. Wasnā€™t comfortable using the stock crossmember bolts because of shimming the crossmember down so much, ended up picking some longer bolts from Ace.

OK, so it's not just my car (grinding the the shifter and shimming the crossmember for an aftermarket driveshaft). These guys have been making driveshafts for M6 hellcats for years and they all seem surprised when you tell them it hits the shifter.

I've heard great thigs about the Barton shifters, but that they hit the aftermarket driveshafts. Scared me from getting one since the stock shifter is already hitting. But now I'm thinking its the driveshaft the whole time and not the Barton shifter. (I bet which you blame depends one which order you install them.) I'd love to get a pistol grip style shifter.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
OK, so it's not just my car (grinding the the shifter and shimming the crossmember for an aftermarket driveshaft). These guys have been making driveshafts for M6 hellcats for years and they all seem surprised when you tell them it hits the shifter.

I've heard great thigs about the Barton shifters, but that they hit the aftermarket driveshafts. Scared me from getting one since the stock shifter is already hitting. But now I'm thinking its the driveshaft the whole time and not the Barton shifter. (I bet which you blame depends one which order you install them.) I'd love to get a pistol grip style shifter.

I initially shimmed the trans down 3/16ā€ and was getting contact. I then pulled the shifter out of the car and rounded off the corners....it made the issue much better, but I was still getting contact. So I shimmed an additional 3/16ā€ (3/8ā€ total) and the interference is gone. I wasnā€™t excited about the 3/8ā€ total because of 2 things - driveshaft angle and the stock bolts having enough thread engagement. I took the car out and ran her up to 70 and she was buttery smooth. I still need to get her to higher speeds but Iā€™m pretty confident things are all good. I grabbed some new longer, hardened bolts and running with it.

In short get that Barton!

Thread Info