🔧 BUILD The Replacement for the Cobra. V: “Greasy’s Fuck Your Blower-Coyote, Super-Secret Stick-Shift Hellcat Build”

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Assistant beer getter
giphy.gif

Nice looking stuff Jim.

Shawn, I'm going to need a beer assistant and also someone to watch my 2.5 year old if I have any hope of the wife letting me spend some hours in the garage this spring to get all the shit I ordered installed. Will you be that guy for me? Lol
Also please finalize his potty training and maybe we can even get him riding a bike too while you're out!

I can bring my girls to help occupy child watching duty. Might also help seeing other little people going to the bathroom.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Im surprised youd want a 2 piece ds. Once you get the cradle lockout kit from bmr youre going to hear all the slop with the 2 piece since the diff will have no play in it from the stock bushings. At least thats how it is with my 350. 1 piece will be next mod.

I am not super well versed in this stuff but it is my understanding that due to the length of the driveshaft, it is better suited to be a 2 piece because of the critical speed issues on a 1 piece. More folks have complained about vibrations on a one piece than not which makes me hesitant, that’s the only reason.

The cradle lock out kit for the Hellcat doesn’t eliminate the rubber bushings, but fill in the voids on them to reduce slope. Guys don’t experience any noticeable NVH with the lockout kit.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I am not super well versed in this stuff but it is my understanding that due to the length of the driveshaft, it is better suited to be a 2 piece because of the critical speed issues on a 1 piece. More folks have complained about vibrations on a one piece than not which makes me hesitant, that’s the only reason.

The cradle lock out kit for the Hellcat doesn’t eliminate the rubber bushings, but fill in the voids on them to reduce slope. Guys don’t experience any noticeable NVH with the lockout kit.
Here's a couple videos from Brian Mason who's very knowledgeable about Hellcat stuff. The second one is longer but he explains the angle problem with a 1 piece.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I can bring my girls to help occupy child watching duty. Might also help seeing other little people going to the bathroom.
He really needs to start playing with other kids more frequently. This Covid shit has to end soon!
Im surprised youd want a 2 piece ds. Once you get the cradle lockout kit from bmr youre going to hear all the slop with the 2 piece since the diff will have no play in it from the stock bushings. At least thats how it is with my 350. 1 piece will be next mod.
I didn't really notice any DS slop noises when I did the cradle lockout. It was after the Diff was basically locked out that I heard all kinds of noise, and I don't think it was from the driveshaft. Gear clash and whine were the main culprits, and they were LOUD! I couldn't remove those damn diff bushings fast enough...lol

More folks have complained because that's what people do on the internet...complain. You don't hear about all the guys that have replaced their shafts with success because they're not complaining.

Also didn't get any NVH increase when I locked my rear subframe out.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
More folks have complained because that's what people do on the internet...complain. You don't hear about all the guys that have replaced their shafts with success because they're not complaining.

I think that is obvious, but if all of the driveshafts were great there wouldn't be that much noise about them. I don't need a thousand glowing reviews necessarily, but I am interested to hear where there might be potential problems which is why I do research.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I think that is obvious, but if all of the driveshafts were great there wouldn't be that much noise about them. I don't need a thousand glowing reviews necessarily, but I am interested to hear where there might be potential problems which is why I do research.
Oh I agree and I usually do a shit ton of research as well. All I'm saying is take it with a grain of salt. Lets just use my work truck for an example, if I were to go off Facebook and the internet, you would believe that 100% of 5.0 F150's burn 2 qts of oil every 500 miles and have a tick so bad the dead will be woken.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I have a DSS aluminum in my car, and I get noticeable vibration over 100 mph, maybe carbon fiber would be the move over aluminum?
DSS seems to have a fairly bad rap from their halfshafts and driveshafts in the S550 community. The carbon fiber shifts from DSS seem to get mostly good reviews. For an S197, it seems like the Ford Performance shaft is the way to go.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Oh I agree and I usually do a shit ton of research as well. All I'm saying is take it with a grain of salt. Lets just use my work truck for an example, if I were to go off Facebook and the internet, you would believe that 100% of 5.0 F150's burn 2 qts of oil every 500 miles and have a tick so bad the dead will be woken.

? Agreed man!

• Love
Reactions: Jeffs FRC

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
DSS seems to have a fairly bad rap from their halfshafts and driveshafts in the S550 community. The carbon fiber shifts from DSS seem to get mostly good reviews. For an S197, it seems like the Ford Performance shaft is the way to go.
Supposedly DSS went to a CV type coupler on the pinion side and it makes all the difference, but man do I miss the days of $150 aluminum shafts straight from Ford for the Fox's.

Thread Info