The one that got away / missed opportunity

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Spin off thread from what made you laugh thread,

Everyone has had a favorite car or cars they have owned and have regretted selling, or have pursued to own and missed the opportunity to purchase it. what’s your story? Post away!

for me, I missed an opportunity for ls1 a4, swapped 95 mustang, super clean swap, found it on ls1 tech in about 07ish’ still regret not getting it.

not picking up the f-body’s and mustangs coming in on trade in 05-06’ when I was running a vw dealer, gas was sky high and customers were trading in v8’s for golf’s, jetta’s and diesel vw’s, we were giving them nothing for them and wholesaling.

04’ish I was scrolling eBay and found a 2 lane black top 55 Chevy replica in alsip going for like 10k, baulked at the deal as I was buying a house and needed the extra 10k for home stuff.

I’m sure I will think of more as this post goes on.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
My Father was gonna get me a 1976 Firebird. Well, the very first time I took my Mom's brand new Buick Regal 5.slow Out I fish tailed around a corner, whacked a mailbox, took out the corner panel ( Car had 500 miles on it) thank God I hurt no one. Few days later they got the 1987 Buick Grand National which they still have

In any event, my young, Dumbass fuck up provoked the NOT purchase of this) probably for the better)
:rofl:

everything-you-shoul-8_1600x0w.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I had the chance to get a 1997 Ducati 916 that was garage kept, mint, and only 3000 miles on it. It was just outside of my price range, but I should have gone for it and worried about the debt later. IMO one of the best looking sport bikes ever made.

Also was presented with the opportunity to get a 1993 Corvette, 40th anniversary edition. Was my boss’s car and mildly tuned. He knew how much I made and priced it just above what I could afford, intentionally. He was an asshole.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I think the only two cars I regret are not buying a friends 97 white t top camaro that he traded in for like $4k. That car sounded awesome and moved out off the line.

Second would be selling my 01 Silverado 2wd extended cab short bed after it was totaled out for hail. Should of kept it as it was so fucking clean (from Cali and 1 owner)

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
All sorts of stuff I passed on back in high school when I was shopping for my Charger would be a ridiculous deal now.
70 Challenger R/T SE 440+6/auto car in B3 blue for 7k.
71 340/auto Cuda shaker car for 1500 - it was ROUGH but it's a 71 shaker Cuda
70 Coronet R/T 440/Auto, plum crazy/white care for 3k.
To say nothing of the Hemi e-bodies and wing cars for 40-50k back in the mid-late 90's.

I sold a 68 Charger R/T that was really rough and needed everything but was all there in 2008 for 3k. That was about 1/2 what it was worth but I was giving someone who said they were going to restore it a screaming deal because they were friends of the family. He turned around and flipped it. Cunt.

If I could have any of them back that I've sold it'd be my 02 SOM SS Camaro. It went to a guy in St Louis in 2006, he had it for a few years then sold it and I lost track of it.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Thinking about it, I do kind of miss my 96 Prelude SI. It wasn’t the VTEC, but it was a 5spd, had a nice sleek look to it, performed and handled well for what it was, and the electroluminescent wrap around dash was years ahead of its time. Shit, it even had dummy lights to tell you if you had a brake light out. How many cars these days have that?

I was doing a lot of highway traveling to my dad’s and back and wanted something a bit larger, quieter, and more powerful. Traded it in for a 2004 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L.

Reactions: blue-sun and Jon01

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Thinking about it, I do kind of miss my 96 Prelude SI. It wasn’t the VTEC, but it was a 5spd, had a nice sleek look to it, performed and handled well for what it was, and the electroluminescent wrap around dash was years ahead of its time. Shit, it even had dummy lights to tell you if you had a brake light out. How many cars these days have that?

I was doing a lot of highway traveling to my dad’s and back and wanted something a bit larger, quieter, and more powerful. Traded it in for a 2004 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L.

Don’t most cars today with CANBUS do that? In 1996 not so much :rofl:

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I haven’t seen any recently. Can you think of any specific examples?

If so, I wonder if the dummy lights are burned out cause I see plenty of new cars with lights burned out, lol.
the new f150's will tell you if a bulb is out in the information center, it will tell you if one of your trailer bulbs is out also

Reactions: Rdrnnr

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I regret selling my 93 MR2 that I had swapped to a JDM Gen 2 with a ton of mods.

I still had it when we bought our first house in Yorkville but at the time I was still working in Arlington Heights. Driving that car to work killed 1/4 of a tank, so I never drove it and that first winter I still had to clean snow off a car, I said fuck it and sold both the MR2 and my daily, one of the funnest cars I’ve ever hadwith the lowest horsepower, 2001 Mazda Protege MP3, they only made 1500 MP3’s. That’s another car that I regret selling.
Sold both those and bought a brand new 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 and drove the piss out of that car for years and years!

it kind of worked out in the end. We had twins in 2010 and the MR2 would have just sat there undriven most likely.

8C917152-01F8-468B-B6D1-4C8A96E708BA.jpeg

6190519B-09D7-4DEC-B625-FA971170726F.jpeg

C3543B2B-06D6-4C34-B41B-CC561F7E2B96.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: DEEZUZ

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

If so, I wonder if the dummy lights are burned out cause I see plenty of new cars with lights burned out, lol.
My shitty caprice would tell you what bulb was out. It had rubber floors.

Reactions: blue-sun

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

my MK6 and MK7 GTI tell you down to the license plate bulbs. It’s kind of annoying because if you put LED’s in they have to have specific resistors or something to not trigger the canbus system. I think the issue with all the people you see driving around with lights out is that they don’t care, or don’t want to pay the dealership some exorbitant amount of money to change a headlight bulb.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Missed Opportunity -

Approx 18 yrs ago: 1987 maroon w/ gray Camaro IROC-Z with T-Tops and 35k miles on it. 350 w/ an auto. Bone stock and Showroom clean. $6500

Regret Selling -

03 White Mustang Mach 1, 5 speed
11 White Mustang GT, auto
My first car was a 89 IROC-Z, black on black. 350 auto too! Fun first car for me!

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Last miss was like 5 -6 years ago. 1980 Turbo Trans Am SE. Guy had it in a storage unit in DesMoines for like 4 or 5 years. Couldn't get it to start. My sister sent me photos it looked flawless except for no start. He was asking $4000.00. I had zero savings. And passed. Same car 20k now....:(:mad::angrys00ls:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info