Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Down in Florida and the pizza selection is always meh with a few exceptions. I’ve enjoyed Anthony’s Coal Fire in the past and the kids wanted pizza so that’s what we got.

Picked up the phone and ordered through the automated system. Ordered a special called Mikes Hot Honey and a connoisseur pizza. The kids really loved the connoisseur pizza!

415A1E63-154B-415C-A3DC-CAFEE3DEA53E.jpeg

A8A28DCD-78C2-4E7E-B253-5F95BA2B8B59.jpeg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
It wasn’t based on taste. Pepperoni was done right. Crispy and on the top like it should be.

It’s tough to find a really good pizza down in Florida. One of the best pizza places I’ve been too down here is on Marco Island and the owners are Chicago transplants.
I know there is a Buddyz Pizza location somewhere in the Fort Myers area. Same owners as the ones in Mundelein and McHenry.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I know there is a Buddyz Pizza location somewhere in the Fort Myers area. Same owners as the ones in Mundelein and McHenry.
Buddyz was down on AZ too. When they expanded out of IL, they got in some weird Franchising rules for Trademarks for naming (there is a Buddy's out of MI). So all of the outside ones had to change their names. Some in AZ changed to Vero, one changed to Crave, and the one in FL changed to Baked. It's mostly the same pizza though, 100% authentic. It's one of my favorite pizza anywhere. Although the McHenry one was kind of disappointing after spending so much time at the one in AZ when I lived there.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Buddyz was down on AZ too. When they expanded out of IL, they got in some weird Franchising rules for Trademarks for naming (there is a Buddy's out of MI). So all of the outside ones had to change their names. Some in AZ changed to Vero, one changed to Crave, and the one in FL changed to Baked. It's mostly the same pizza though, 100% authentic. It's one of my favorite pizza anywhere. Although the McHenry one was kind of disappointing after spending so much time at the one in AZ when I lived there.

I'm not sure buddyz is "the same" buddyz anymore either as those, they held a naming competition a few weeks ago for the mchenry location.

a few years ago they snagged some chefs from some nice breakfast restaurant, their breakfast is absolutely fucking killer now.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm not sure buddyz is "the same" buddyz anymore either as those, they held a naming competition a few weeks ago for the mchenry location.

a few years ago they snagged some chefs from some nice breakfast restaurant, their breakfast is absolutely fucking killer now.
I'd believe it, it didn't feel the same.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd believe it, it didn't feel the same.

there's something weird too that happened where the dude who was something to do with buddyz went and started his own place up the street-

did something where he accessed buddyz former's client list or some shit and lost liquor license for a few days

i will say again though their breakfast is fucking awesome.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Down in Florida and the pizza selection is always meh with a few exceptions. I’ve enjoyed Anthony’s Coal Fire in the past and the kids wanted pizza so that’s what we got.

Picked up the phone and ordered through the automated system. Ordered a special called Mikes Hot Honey and a connoisseur pizza. The kids really loved the connoisseur pizza!

View attachment 156964

View attachment 156965

There's a place on Marco Island called Joey's that is probably the closest thing to Chicago pizza. http://www.joeyspizzamarco.com/

Reactions: LikeABauce302

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious

Vero is the spot that’s in the same complex as the dispensary I was talking about in the Elgin dispensary thread. Decent place but not the best.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Was talking with some Chicago and non Chicago friends and was telling them how some pizza places would deliver your pizza in a paper bag and they’re like how is that possible,? I wouldn’t eat a pizza out if a paper bag! Etc… am I only one who had this by them growing up?

IMG_7780.jpeg

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
Was talking with some Chicago and non Chicago friends and was telling them how some pizza places would deliver your pizza in a paper bag and they’re like how is that possible,? I wouldn’t eat a pizza out if a paper bag! Etc… am I only one who had this by them growing up?

View attachment 159700
Thats the real fucking deal right there! Man that shit brings back memories! My parents didn't make much, but a few friday nights a month, that paper bag was like Christmas morning. You knew you were eating like a king.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

View attachment 159700
Some local mom and pop joints in the city still do it. Not sure if I ever seen it in the burbs though.
V&V in Bartlett might have done it years back

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

View attachment 159700
That's how you know it's good

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Before you opened the bag, a little pressing down to get the pizza grease / oil.
Have u ever had Maries on Lawrence and Kedvale? You needed a whole roll of paper towels to soak up the grease on those. Some older dude I knew over there swore up and down they put a thin layer of Mayo on the pie to get it that greasy ???

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Geez that’s a blast from the past. Had friends on 106th and Cicero and we would order from there. We went in there for dinner one night and iirc the pasta was decent af.
My parents live in that area so I'll occasionally go there for dinner with them. All of the food beyond their pizza is pretty solid. Good spot in the south suburbs where there otherwise aren't a lot of great restaurants.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info