Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I swear I live on an island that separates me from good pizza. As you can probably tell, I'm quite vocal about my pizza taste. So I tell everyone around here that the pizza is trash. I get lots of recommendations. I give the benefit of the doubt. I heard a place that got a lot of recommendations around here. Even had someone on one of my Chicago Style Pizza FB groups recommend this place. Not sure why because it's not even remotely close to the same style. It's the typical Michigan style thin crust (for those that don't know: Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's style).

The place is called Licaris Sicilian Pizza Kitchen. They have "VOTED THE BEST PIZZA IN MICHIGAN" written all over their menu. Since it's one of those fake, pretending-to-be-from-Italy places, they actually listed it as "PIZZE". Whatever the hell that means. I ordered a small pizza with pepperoni on it.

Pizza came out and it looked like it was actually cooked well, which I thought was a good sign. The cheese was actually a shade of white (so many places out here put this goofy ass blend that has so much yellow cheese in it. Terrible. Greasy. Slimey. Gross). Pull a slice and it's not super floppy or too greasy. All good signs. Take a bite annnnnnnddd. Blah. Crust was like a bad version of Pizza Hut. Almost cardboard like. The sauce was that average Italian style that is basically just pure tomatoes put into a blender. It had some chunky spots (which I like under the right conditions) but those were only out at the crust. The cheese was actually right, and the pepperoni was pretty good, which were the only redeeming qualities of this pizza. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed.

Score: 6/10. Probably wouldn't go back.

20230316_192020.jpg

I seriously need to open a pizzeria out here. The only reason people eat this slop is because they don't know any better.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Don't like New Haven pizza or Fricanos.

*hyperventilating*

I'm fine.

What pizza do you like? Sounds like we are pizza opposites.
In order based on what I've eaten more than once and can identify a unique style.

1. Chicago Thin (Tavern style, etc)
2. Chicago Pan Deep
3. New York style (the thin, hand tossed style)
4. Detroit Style
5. Chicago Stuffed Deep
6. Woodfired Neopolitan style
7. Michigan Hand Tossed style
8. New Haven
9. Shit sandwich
10. Anything from Italy

I left off styles like Grandma, Silician, Buffalo, tomato pie, etc as I haven't really had enough of them to judge the style. There's some that I will never try - that one in Pennsylvania that puts a slice of American cheese on the top; Ohio Valley with the uncooked cheese on top, etc.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So you do like New Haven? I tried Sally's when I was there, I thought it was a great pizza.

Ever had pizza from Clover Bar in Grand Haven? I like that one.
Sally's was pretty good but Modern was terrible and Frank Pepes is borderline the worst pizza I've ever had. I have reviews of all 3 in this thread.

Ive only been to Grand Haven once and we didn't eat there. What style is it? Probably end up there this summer at some point.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Clover bar is thin crust. What don't you like about Fricanos?
Like Michigan thin crust tho?

Based on what I remember about Fricanos, it had a chewy, floppy crust. It was a greasy sloppy mess. Which was super disappointing because it's supposed to be a "crispy" thin. I liked the burnt cheese edges, but the whole thing just didn't set well.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I remember Fricanos being messy and floppy but I liked the flavors. Maybe the next time I go there I'll ask for well done and see what happens.

Clover bar to me is like Chicago thin crust. I think they sprinkle with goat cheese or something gives it a little more flavor.
I looked Clover Bar up on Google maps, and the pizza looks like it's trying to be a Chicago style thin. But other photos make it look like a Michigan style. That's odd. If I'm out there, I may check it out.

Thread Info