đź’¬ OT âť„️ The Official TCG Complains about Snow Yearly Despite Living in the Midwest and it never snows here anyway.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
what is this beet juice you speak of

Sugar Beets

We got the beet! The unassuming sugar beet makes a big difference when it comes to battling winter weather.
When mixed with salt brine, beet juice helps the salt brine work at lower temperatures to treat icy or snow packed surfaces.
Did you know?:
  • The sugar beet is of course used to make table sugar as well as feed for cattle.
  • The product we use is a by product of the process that makes the sugar for our tables. It is a result of a fermentation process that extracts the sugar crystals leaving the juice behind.
  • Beet juice has been proven to lessen the corrosive properties of the salt that we use to apply to the roads.
  • Beet juice cost are relative the same as calcium at $1.70-$1.85 per gallon.
  • We use a mixture of 80% salt brine and 20% beet juice in most areas.
  • Beet juice and salt brine will work at temps approaching zero but with the addition of calcium we can theoretically achieve a little lower temperature before freezing occurs.
  • We store around 30,000 gallons of beet juice/brine mix to be used at a moment’s notice.
  • The beet juice actually needs salt brine to melt ice.
  • At 30 degrees, one pound of salt will melt 46.3 pounds of ice, but at 0 degrees, the same pound of salt will melt just 3.7 pounds of ice.
  • Regular water-based salt brine works well until 25 degrees.
  • Beet juice is added to the mix between 25 degrees and 5 degrees.
  • Calcium chloride added to the mix between 5 degrees and -10 degrees.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And when it's still semi-fresh it can be slick as hell, which makes for hoonigan fun. Had my truck's transfer case in Auto when I got onto North ave after a fresh spraying of the juice. I was already going 15-20mph for the turn and just as I apex'd and fed in the throttle the truck started to slide, so I stood on it and did a nice three lane power slide, all four tires spinning up. Made a helluva lot of noise when that juice wore off and the rubber tried to grab the cement for traction. Another 1000 miles of tire life gone ?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
what is this beet juice you speak of

When you see the sprayer lines on the road, that's the beet juice they put down. They usually do it before a storm because it helps keep the snow/ice from 'attaching' (more or less), to the pavement and makes it easier for the plows to scrape up.

And this guy in South Elgin, it was like he didn't even use the sprayer. He just opened the tank and let it pour down on the road at Hopps and McLean.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
When you see the sprayer lines on the road, that's the beet juice they put down. They usually do it before a storm because it helps keep the snow/ice from 'attaching' (more or less), to the pavement and makes it easier for the plows to scrape up.

And this guy in South Elgin, it was like he didn't even use the sprayer. He just opened the tank and let it pour down on the road at Hopps and McLean.

i have noticed the lines before.... never knew this was the explanation

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida

I saw this on my way home today. They even striped the side streets. South Elgin loves fucking up the streets. I'm over here waiting for rain and they are spraying salt. WTF!!!

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
What sucked is I washed the G8 Sunday. Now all that shit is all over the front of the car from the vehicle in front of me spraying it up since he just dumped it there....

Seriously. It's gonna be 50 - 60* out the next few days. This isn't fucking Buffalo here...

Thread Info