The official gun thread

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Bought a Ruger Standard that needed finishing. As an odd stroke of luck I had 2 spare mags for it I probably purchased about 20 years ago at this point.

goal is to do NRA Black on it or park it. I wonder how much nickel plating would be it looks good shiny.....
View attachment 65304

View attachment 65303
Took this out it's definitely ammo finicky and I need a few mags. The Ramlines seem to have no spring tension left. Gonna try to dig a few MK2 mags up and use those. I shot 5-6 brands through it and found out that Armscor through it absolutely does not feed. The Browning was fairly hot actually (noticably different recoil impulse) and it did like the subsonics though which is cool.

If I ever get into a free state I'll do the paperwork/pay the tax and make an integrally suppressed upper for it at some point.

Also took the kid out and he fired a shitton of 5.56. Probably more than I've shot in years at this point. Little bugger with a full auto would make me broke. I need to down grade him to a 22 and preferably a bolt action to slow him down.

SpeedSpeak2me

Donating Member
Reaction score
Took this out it's definitely ammo finicky and I need a few mags. The Ramlines seem to have no spring tension left. Gonna try to dig a few MK2 mags up and use those. I shot 5-6 brands through it and found out that Armscor through it absolutely does not feed. The Browning was fairly hot actually (noticably different recoil impulse) and it did like the subsonics though which is cool.

If I ever get into a free state I'll do the paperwork/pay the tax and make an integrally suppressed upper for it at some point.

Also took the kid out and he fired a shitton of 5.56. Probably more than I've shot in years at this point. Little bugger with a full auto would make me broke. I need to down grade him to a 22 and preferably a bolt action to slow him down.
That’s why when I go to the range I’ll only load five rounds into the mag. Slows down shooting so you don’t blaze through $100 of ammo in ten minutes. 🤣

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
That’s why when I go to the range I’ll only load five rounds into the mag. Slows down shooting so you don’t blaze through $100 of ammo in ten minutes. 🤣
I have a ban era mag or two in the basement I'm digging the hell out at this rate. Also surely not gonna load for him either :rofl:

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
So, weird issue happening with some of my 9mm handloads. I haven't fired them yet (err'd on the side of caution using the "recommended load" with 115gr FMJ) but I gave my dad about 400 rounds. He's shooting these through a S&W SD9VE. I know not the greatest pistol but it was super cheap and he's been extremely happy with it. Apex trigger, stock barrel, nothing fancy.

He said every once in a while he'll get a "dud but fires" round. Primer has a strike mark but never goes off. He reloads the round into the mag, and this time it fires. Not a hang fire just a normal round like it didn't get struck once. He says this has happened multiple times but it always fires on the second strike.

I visually inspected the rounds I gave him. Primers look identical from the random sampling I grabbed out of the bag; not too deep and not sticking out. Case length and OAL are within .010" from another random sample I grabbed from the same bag of 200. Only thing is that I haven't seen the rounds he has fired and at this point they're sitting in a baggy of all the other brass so it's too late to check the individual case.

My load is pulled from Hornady's website: Berry's 115gr FMJ, 4.4gr Win244 (literally the only powder I could find when covid happened but seems to have good reviews despite mismatched grain sizes), #550 CCI primers, and 1.125" OAL with a Lee factory crimp die.

He said the majority of it has fired just fine except for a few cases but "all the other ammo I've ever bought has never had this issue" referring to Federal or CCI bulk 9mm.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Did he put in the striker spring? If so go back to a stocker or use Federal Primers. I'm guessing Winchester, Rem or CCI Primers. Maybe S&B or Tula which are harder still.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm an idiot, #550 CCI primers. Meant to add that in my post.

I thought I had #500 when I was talking to him but apparently not.

As for the spring, I'm assuming he's using the Apex spring, we didn't get that deep into it but I'm thinking it's something to do with striker/trigger. Of course, he says it's the ammo.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is kind of crazy. A third party company makes a 15 round magazine for the G43x and G48 that fits flush. I’m surprised Glock isn’t following suit. A 15 round mag in a single stack form factor sub compact is huge.

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
This is kind of crazy. A third party company makes a 15 round magazine for the G43x and G48 that fits flush. I’m surprised Glock isn’t following suit. A 15 round mag in a single stack form factor sub compact is huge.

I ordered 4 of them last week. Though I don’t have a 43x yet... hope to pick up the new 43x MOS and throw a Holosun on it.

VenomousDSG

Better Call Lalo
Reaction score
Picked up 4 new guns over the weekend. Glock 19, sig P226 Navy, beretta 92fs, and a Benelli M4. Should get them all this week if background clears. So realistically probably like 2 weeks or more.....

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
I’m thinking about selling my Bren 2 now. Would like to have the cash to fund a PC build and being in CO getting mags for it isn’t the easiest.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
My new optics setup is coming together. I decided I wanted something better suited for longer ranges than my Leupold 2.5-8x. after researching, consideration and contemplating I got a slightly used db tactical 6-24 30mm tube with a mil based reticle. The nice thing is that as I suck less I can do hold overs with it as well.

It is going on my 243 win, DPMS patterend rifle. Hoping for good things if I can get my reloading and shooting skills to come together. Betting the gun is more squared away than I am by a good amount.

Doing the ASC tour on the 10th. It is a haul but still. IMG_20200922_003357573.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Because they rock. I have like 3 of them. They're certainly survivors. Maybe I'll get one of those fancy mechanicals with the Cherry Switches in it but that day is so far some time off.

SpeedSpeak2me

Donating Member
Reaction score
I found one at work, along with a ps/2 to USB connector. When I was at the office and people in the area started to get really noisy I'd bust out that old mechanical and start banging away on it, like for an email, a "how to", etc. Would get the strangest looks. My response was I just wanted to add to the ever-increasing noise levels and not feel left out. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom