The official big pond lake michigan yacht thread.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Roll call.

Who all will be on the big pond this year or has been?

What marina?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I might take my little xlt up to Racine when we go up to hang out on my dads boat that's about it

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Racine looks decently sized. is there a pool there?

does your dad do trips up north or across?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Racine looks decently sized. is there a pool there?

does your dad do trips up north or across?
Pool, hot tub, out side grilling area with 4-5 grills, bar restaurant, hotel right next to it if you have friends stay but not enough room on the boat, he's been across right out of the marina I believe he said 80-90 miles across from there, we went down to Chicago and back when I was up last year, would definitely want navy to cross up in Racine, it's not like going to Michigan city from Chicago where you can almost see the other side

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Pool, hot tub, out side grilling area with 4-5 grills, bar restaurant, hotel right next to it if you have friends stay but not enough room on the boat, he's been across right out of the marina I believe he said 80-90 miles across from there, we went down to Chicago and back when I was up last year, would definitely want navy to cross up in Racine, it's not like going to Michigan city from Chicago where you can almost see the other side
:rofl: i read navy as like fucking flotilla navy the first three times i read it :rofl:

navigation... :rofl:

that's awesome.

i like the kenosha place too cuz of all the bars/restaurants right down around the boat.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
id probably want twins for a cross pond trip, or a super new really reliable something.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
:rofl: i read navy as like fucking flotilla navy the first three times i read it :rofl:

navigation... :rofl:

that's awesome.

i like the kenosha place too cuz of all the bars/restaurants right down around the boat.
It was supposed to be nav, iPhone has really been butchering stuff on the forums lately

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION]

do you guys have dedicated nav or go off your phones... or just not go out too far or what?

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've been across a few time in my uncles boat. We went to Pentwater, MI, I'd think twins would be a good idea if you're going that far from land. This was years ago before cell phone navigation but he just had an autopilot he set. I'm sure there is way fancier shit nowadays.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] you guys do in/out service there right?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION]

do you guys have dedicated nav or go off your phones... or just not go out too far or what?
Back in the day I used to cross from the canal to Michigan city all the time with out anything, at night a hand full of times as well, going across in a thicker area or on an angle trying to hit a destination I'd run real nav, not sure how good the cell phone service is out in the middle

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I used to cross from the canal to Michigan city all the time with out anything, at night a hand full of times as well, going across in a thicker area or on an angle trying to hit a destination I'd run real nav, not sure how good the cell phone service is out in the middle
i figure in the middle you're never further than ~35 miles from a shoreline and it's basically line of sight... you'd probably have service? i dunno

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
should probably have service, but you can't see 35 miles a lot of times there are times when you can't see shore till your 15 miles out or less, so your somewhat blindly heading, i mean holding a compass setting works unless you get caught in a storm or something

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
should probably have service, but you can't see 35 miles a lot of times there are times when you can't see shore till your 15 miles out or less, so your somewhat blindly heading, i mean holding a compass setting works unless you get caught in a storm or something
i was just saying line of sight more analogy-ish than literal. i know you wouldn't be able to see it, just moreover saying that not much would block the signal

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
True I'd have some sort of back up as well either way, if on boat nav then phone as back up, or hand held and phone as back up

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
:werd:

this is all so interesting to me cuz it's so different than what ive grown up with

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
We used to do day trips to saugatuck mi in my dads Boston whaler and 17' Larson when I was a kid, other than that and crossing for boat shows I've hardly ever been on the lake

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
:eek3:

you should post more of your dad's new rig too.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
It's sitting in storage still, I've only been on the thing once lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom