The official MKV Supra thread

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I am happy to see the car is underrated, so I do take back SOME (not all) of my power gripes.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't excuse the car for it's bigger flaws that's for sure but I'm glad it is in fact underrated. I'm still holding out that they will release a TRD version in a couple years with one of their own drivetrains but that is super wishful thinking and highly doubt it makes sense from a cost perspective.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
best option to me thus far regarding this and it's bmw cousin is to snag a CPO Z4 in 3 years for 24k with 32,000 miles on it some chick drove to tennis lessons and whole foods.

2019-BMW-Z4-sDrive30i-21.jpg

:yepppp:

BMW-Z4-Misano-Blue-1-830x553.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't know I trust the dyno numbers. Let's see what production cars end up putting down. That torque number is insanely high compared to the numbers Toyota claims at the crank.

And ya, just not into the look of the car. Not when being teased with the concept car that looked incredible. I'd have to say the BMW looks better. And I don't think the BMW is all that great either. It's less boy-racer at least.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't know I trust the dyno numbers. Let's see what production cars end up putting down. That torque number is insanely high compared to the numbers Toyota claims at the crank.

And ya, just not into the look of the car. Not when being teased with the concept car that looked incredible. I'd have to say the BMW looks better. And I don't think the BMW is all that great either. It's less boy-racer at least.

You know more than most that a single dyno test means shit. Calibration, coast down, weather correction are all things that can inflate the number. I had a car dyno’d for work and got crank numbers at the wheel, then went to Mustang and asked for clarification, and they said operator error, who then re-ran the test with parameters from Mustang and we got a normal 15 percent loss at the wheels.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You know more than most that a single dyno test means shit. Calibration, coast down, weather correction are all things that can inflate the number. I had a car dyno’d for work and got crank numbers at the wheel, then went to Mustang and asked for clarification, and they said operator error, who then re-ran the test with parameters from Mustang and we got a normal 15 percent loss at the wheels.

True and Mustang dynos can be manipulated. I only trust Dynojet's as there seems to be less variation, but at the end of the day they are really a tuning tool and for bragging rights.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Either style dyno can be manipulated. So if someone wanted to inflate numbers they could.

Liverniis is a reputable shop. I don't see them messing with the numbers. They have nothing to gain by doing that. But I think something is fishy with the numbers.

How does the operator manipulate a dynojet beside STD or SAE? I've read and seen videos that Mustang dynos can be manipulated by the operator.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Either style dyno can be manipulated. So if someone wanted to inflate numbers they could.

Liverniis is a reputable shop. I don't see them messing with the numbers. They have nothing to gain by doing that. But I think something is fishy with the numbers.

I don’t think they’re being deceiving but if they run the car like a usual customer and don’t do the time consuming coast down and loss calibrations specific to the car then it’s not set up for max accuracy.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
How does the operator manipulate a dynojet beside STD or SAE? I've read and seen videos that Mustang dynos can be manipulated by the operator.
You can Google the different ways. They are not secrets.

But when ever people argue dyno numbers remember this, Mark Dobeck, founder of Dynojet, even has said that they use an "imaginary number" in their formula. This number was to correct their low readings to other dynos of the time. And that they can tailor that "imaginary number" to suit your market. So adjusting a correction factor.

Like Bru stated, there are ways to change dyno numbers due to how they are set up. Even Dynojet dynos.

I said I don't think they went out of their way to fudge the numbers. But the fact that the rwtq was over 100 ft/lbs more than the advertised crank torque should have anyone asking questions.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
savagegeese take, i think some more to come later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqxeVxFFnoQ

not now but i could see myself picking it up a few years in the future. after they sort out the weak points on track, figure out how best to use those goodies they left available for the aftermarket to tweak, price of used ones drops a bit, i feel like i'm more ready to advance on past the brz, etc. honestly the car seems great and i think y'all are whining a lot more than is justified at all.

was interesting to see this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJQo0tZ5Jmg

still having manual is nice. y'all whine about the power but to me this is the biggest real difference and concern to me, supra isn't a fat boy by modern standards, but it is fat compared to the 86. it's kind of awesome how my brakes in particular perform. i occasionally change pads, and fluid, i literally do once a year and probably don't even need to.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I like it

Would be a great car for $40-42k base. $51k base and ~$60k loaded is absurd. $51k for a toyota with 335hp and "faux suede" seats...literally gfy

I think the used market will be great for these. Plenty of power to be had, i still think it looks great, and they're going to lose value quickly. Can't wait for the original owners to sit there dumbfounded wondering why their rebadged bmw didn't hold value as well as the 90's supras

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info