🚘 Automotive The official C8 Corvette thread

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I hadn't seen the weight distribution until this article. That is sad that they ended up with a 40/60 weight distribution. That is what the new 992 Porsche 911 Carerra has. A car that everyone says has the motor (mass) in the wrong place. The whole point of the mid-engine car is having that mass centered in the middle of the wheels and low in the chassis. Looks like they missed on center mass.

I would assume the ZO6 with a blower or turbos is going to hurt that weight distribution even more. I guess the weight distribution will get better when they add electric motors to the wheels up front?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I hadn't seen the weight distribution until this article. That is sad that they ended up with a 40/60 weight distribution. That is what the new 992 Porsche 911 Carerra has. A car that everyone says has the motor (mass) in the wrong place. The whole point of the mid-engine car is having that mass centered in the middle of the wheels and low in the chassis. Looks like they missed on center mass.

I would assume the ZO6 with a blower or turbos is going to hurt that weight distribution even more. I guess the weight distribution will get better when they add electric motors to the wheels up front?

I prefer the Hellcat weight distribution of 90/10.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I did not, I'll check it out and thanks.

I'm just really interested in Joe's total thoughts as well!

Garret gets into it really early on, like sub 5 min. so if you dont want to watch the whole video of them driving it you don't have to.

also watching that video, the center stack does not look that huge like it does in most of the media pictures.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Because of the seating position, the center of gravity is at the driver hip and it does feel like it rotates around you.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm sure it does. I am sure the car is plenty capable. The C7 had an almost 50/50 weight distribution. I guess I expected a mid-engine corvette would be close to 50/50. There are plenty of advantages to being a mid-engine layout. That weight distribution just surprised me I guess.

Dem tractions yo

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004

That is surprising for a true mid-engine car. The 911 is pretty much rear engine, correct?
Even the old 2003 Mustang Cobra's were 57/43.

I wonder if that's a mistake in the article.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That is surprising for a true mid-engine car. The 911 is pretty much rear engine, correct?
Even the old 2003 Mustang Cobra's were 57/43.

I wonder if that's a mistake in the article.

The 911 is a rear engine. So even with the weight distribution being the same at the tires, the weight behind the tire is more of the issue. Come sideways and you have a pendulum type of effect. Because the weight is behind the rear wheels. Where the weight in the mid engine car is mainly in front of the rear axle.

This weekend I googled some mid-engine cars. It seems they are common to have close to that same 40/60 weight distribution. Usually a little closer to the 43/57. But the R8 v10, 488, 720, Hurrican, and others are the same way. So it has probably been proven over and over that a rear bias mid-engine car works better than a 50/50 version. Maybe as these cars increase in power and rear tire size. As well as steering effort and response. The lighter the front is, the less tire width is needed.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I have barely paid attention to this thread. But I thought this was pretty bad ass. Maybe it's been posted already. Dont k ow.

That seriously looks like a Grand Theft Auto knock-off car model lol.

Reactions: guspech750

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Screenshot_20200311-105738_YouTube.jpg

Motor Trend has it doing 11.1 @ 123

Thread Info