🚘 Automotive The official C8 Corvette thread

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Sometimes a set of spy photos drops onto our digital desks that leave us scratching our heads trying to figure out what we're looking at. This is not one of those times. What you're looking at above quite clearly looks like a plug-in hybrid Chevy Corvette. As you can see from the images in the gallery, there's a charging harness dangling out of an opening in the car's front trunk along with a big red electric kill switch.

Now, even though we think we know what this car is, that doesn't mean we have all the salient details. For instance, beyond the fact that there's surely an internal combustion engine mounted in the middle and, assuming this is indeed a hybrid, at least one electric motor contributing thrust, we don't know what the gas engine's displacement may be or even how many cylinders that engine contains. The spy shooters who witnessed the car drive by say they thought it sounded like a V6, but that's not a lot to go on. Speculation on an electrified Corvette in the past has also included talk of all-wheel drive with an electric motor powering the front wheels and a traditional engine sending ponies to the rear.

Back when the mid-engine C8 was first unveiled, GM President Mark Reuss suggested this latest Corvette worked into GM's "strategy of 0-0-0: zero emissions, zero crashes, zero congestion." Reading between those lines, we wouldn't be surprised if a plug-in 'Vette would be able to travel solely on electric power for short jaunts. But we'd also expect any electrification to contribute to the car's overall acceleration, considering the Corvette's role as GM's high-performance flagship.

C8_PHEV_017-copy.jpg

Red Plugs

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Vin 001 went for 3 mil to who else ? Rick Hendrick
@ Barrett Jackson

The whole VIN piece blows my mind. You are telling me car #1 means more than car #3,578? It is crazy collector mentality. When I turned it on over the weekend my head almost exploded hearing that the last C7 to ever be produced went for some crazy shit like $2.7 million.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The whole VIN piece blows my mind. You are telling me car #1 means more than car #3,578? It is crazy collector mentality. When I turned it on over the weekend my head almost exploded hearing that the last C7 to ever be produced went for some crazy shit like $2.7 million.

giphy.gif
I'm sure down the line the first mid engine vette ever made will worth something. Not 3M but more than car 3,578.

Thread Info