đź’¬ OT The (not really) official electronics workbench thread

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
With the house for sale etc. I think I ended up doing some shopping therapy. I blew up one of my arduinos trying to make an LCD display work so I decided a real bench PSU with current limiting wasn't a bad idea. This is definitely an older model but considering you can get a NIST Certified version I figured it was likely high quality. I guess I get to see if the caps in it are shit or not in all probability. Gave 60 bucks for it, I should have bought the Square Trade Warranty for $6. It probably would have taken em to the cleaners on this one if they had to fix it I mean it blows my mind that they'd even offer it on lab gear. Slip through must be super good even for such things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255106365392

s-l1600.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Got the bench rebuilt, not sure on layout. Am testing some 807s. Home made PSU for hv, the variable for bias. Left Simpson is v, the right current and the green meter is bias.

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_143322668.jpg
    IMG_20211229_143322668.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20211229_021234976.jpg
    IMG_20211229_021234976.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: GTPpower

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Any of you guys do SMD? I'm thinking of looking for a hot air gun to do SMD. Looking for something budget friendlyish.
I bought this one on Amazon to do the mosfets in my car's DME. It's not professional by any means, but it works pretty well. If you do end up buying one of these or the offshoots, beware of how the incoming power polarity is wired. Plenty of tutorials out there on the net on how to test and correct.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
[IMG_20220102_222834690.jpg

Did some testing today. Found out my power supply regulation was not up to the task of dealing with an 807. I bypassed the regulation and ended up fixing my nonlinearity.

I had 5.6368vpp and 70vpp out for a voltage gain of about 12.5 via the resonant circuit and the tube. I need to find/get my dummy load hooked up to this so I can get an idea of Pout. I will probably split the plate and screen supplies then run higher voltage (750ish) on the plate. I probably also need to figure out the second tube too and really get some watts cranking.

I may have to short a couple coils or something as the maximum frequency I can get to with this setup is 7100Khz and it needs to get 400K or so higher so I have some margin. I probably need a load and it set up as push pull to be sure.

Lastly, I need to secure the tuning capacitor. There is hv on it and it needs to be operable to tune. You can isolate it from the DC but at 750v the rf voltage on it will probably be significant.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
amp.jpeg

FINALLY found a chassis that is a good size to build this into. Goal is a dual 807 40M radio amp that i can run on 80 and 20 as well with old school interchangeable coils. I need to get a tuning circuit for the input and get things moving here. I also need to finish my home brew PSU I was making for my HW-101 as it will probably power this fella too.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I've been busy tinkering but not busy posting. I think I want to buy a PCB etching setup, just haven't gotten there yet. I think that the debate now is the annoyance of dealing with SMT parts vs the annoyance of drilling holes. I may just say hell with both and have some boards made at some point.

I downloaded LibrePCB and so far it seems interesting enough. Trying to get my sea legs with it.

I'm thinking I want to rebuild the amp/filter chain for transmit in my ubitx. The more I look at it, the less thrilled I am with it. I'm debating doing a few things for power conservation at some point and wanting to possibly add some features. I think it's interesting that the ARRL Hand book has people using the same transistors they do and getting say 65-75W out of them while I'm lucky to get 10ish. I think I have an idea or two to play with especially more towards 28MHz but I'll have to get there first. I have a way to break the board out and will add a daughter board in all liklihood.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
signal-2023-10-21-10-44-42-635.jpg

Getting somewhere I think. Had real, tangible gain even loaded on this stage. Class A, single ended running at about 7 MHz. I want to add a stage or two, then get the IRF510s to make me some real power. I am going to use this to hopefully redo the amp stages of my ubitx and likely the filter stages too. Got LibrePCB I am playing with, I mally go back to Eagle but am not sure yet. This may be hybrid smelt through hole, just not sure yet. Goal is to run this from 1.8MHz to about 28MHz.

Reactions: sktchy

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Did some more messing around today, I have about a whole 1.8W output! :rofl: It's progress in the right direction though. The big lesson I seem to be getting here is that the output toroids are VERY particular in the way that they're wound and used. I also think I need to evaluate adding stages at this point, but haven't gotten there yet. Everything I've been playing with is single ended, not push-pull. I may have an oscillation at 20mHZ as well, but I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet/trying to squish that yet. I should also really fire up the TinySA and see what I'm dealing with. I bought a 40DB attenuator that's good for 10W which should get me where I need to go initially to see how spectrally pure I'm not. I'm probably seeing 40DBm or more gain through the stages so that's good.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I keep thinking about getting a TinySA. I don't use my NanoVNA-H4 that much anymore, so at the moment hard to justify the cost. Primarily used the Nano for SWR analysis, but found that once you get up into the UHF range it is not very accurate. HF is quite good, VHF is decent, but UHF is too far off, even after a "fresh" calibration. My dad has found the exact same thing after we compared his to the RigExpert.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I really like that RigExpert for the antennas. If I ever get the slush fund money I'll give my dad my Stick Pro (up to 600 MHz), and I'd get a higher end model. I'd like for them to update the AA series (over 1 GHz), none of them have built in bluetooth (like the Stick series, and AA-55). That bluetooth really helps when tuning antennas and you need the analyzer on the end of the feed line that's 50' away.

Edit - to indicate the age of the AA series, they're still using USB 2.0 Type-B connectors.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
20231106_172654.jpg

Built this today. It is an rf power meter. Basically a dummy load in parallel with a rectifier plus a power smoothing circuit and calibration. What's weird is I am using the 50uA movement on one of my simpson 260s and it doesn't read linearly in terms of power increase by current. The db meter is accurate though. I will have to think on this. In some ways it matters little because my goal is to get peak power on low power amplifiers to tune output circuits.

The idea is to be able to make and measure a smaller version of this circuit.

Reactions: sktchy

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
View attachment 184767

Built this today. It is an rf power meter. Basically a dummy load in parallel with a rectifier plus a power smoothing circuit and calibration. What's weird is I am using the 50uA movement on one of my simpson 260s and it doesn't read linearly in terms of power increase by current. The db meter is accurate though. I will have to think on this. In some ways it matters little because my goal is to get peak power on low power amplifiers to tune output circuits.

The idea is to be able to make and measure a smaller version of this circuit.

James Cameron What GIF by Avatar

• Haha
Reactions: sktchy and Aircal

Thread Info