Niche score of 2,363

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
so last weekend I charged up my 10 year old LiPos and took 3 cars out to the backyard rc track.

When I took the Mini 8ight buggy out they said it was cute, then could believe how fast it was.

Once I wasted the batts in the 8, I got the Nexx8 1/8th buggy out with its 6 pole tenshock 2400kv on 4S. I was on a set of Switch 2.0 tires really meant more for clay than dirt but they still gripped good enough. The servo I have in that car is much too slow, I can feel the lag in the steering.

They I got the big Jammin X1 crt truggy out with its castle 1717 and 6s. The batts are so shot it performs like it’s on 4S instead of 6 lol. But even still, 10 years later that truck is still dialed the fuck in for track work. For the 6 minutes the batts worked it just hauled ass around a way too tiny track. But it’s so much fun to drive.

Now I’m looking at picking up several sets of lipos so I can be out there for more than 5 minutes on a charge.

At least the small 8ight lipos still hold a decent charge. I can get about 10 minutes a charge out of the 2200mah 2s batts, and about the same from the 3s pack.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, I'm in a bit of a quandary. Traxxas no longer makes or sells the 1st gen TRX connectors. The 2nd gens look like they use the same battery tabs, so I think if I bought some I could just pop the tabs out of my existing charging leads and slide them into the new housings. But they are bigger, and bulkier, and I'd rather have a smaller connector.

For the Lost Mini 8ight, I wanna move to a smaller connector. It's not like that car draws that many amps being so small and light. The TRX connector is overkill, and sometimes makes mounting the body a bit of a pain. I originally had TRX connectors on everything so I could simplify the connector situation. But the TRX is large, and bulky in that tiny car. So I think I'm gonna go back to the OEM EC2 connectors.

For the 10th scale cars, I'm thinking of either Deans, or EC3 connectors. The deans are nice & small, and have a 60amp continuous rating, but they are honestly a pain in the fucking ass to solder when you are using heavier 10 and 12 gauge wiring. The heat required to get that wire to bind to the tabs is often enough to melt the red plastic before the solder can wick properly. But they do work great. The EC3 use insertable bullets, but the spring tension on those does wear out, and overtime can make for weak connections. That said, they are easier to replace as you can pop the bullet out, and solder on a new one, and just reinsert it into the plug.

For the bigger 8th scale stuff I'm thinking possible EC5 as its rated at 120amps continuous. And my truggy and 1/7th scale On-Road both use a Castle 1717 1680kv setup that can easily draw 100 amps continuous all day long. I know that the on-road peaked at nearly 400 amps on one run, which with 6S meant it was pulling nearly 10,000 watts in a burst. Dats ALOTTA juice. Nearly 13hp worth in a car that weighs 11lbs. The truggy can get away with less because I never quite pin the throttle for as long, and punch control kicks in to ramp power in more slowly to keep the nose down, which also reduces the overall current burst loads.

I just don't want to play the connector adapter game. It's okay for charging, but for connections to between the batts and ESCs I don't want to play the adapter game because of resistance losses.

Part of me also wonders why bother with connectors at all and just go to straight bullets. More wires to plug, and unplug, but much slimmer connections.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Oh hell, I need these bodies for my 1/7th scale on-road!

1687376455267.png

1687376403005.png

Thread Info